Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

World Cup

Good luck to all the teams involved with just over 2 hours to go before it kicks off.

Unless you’re Irish, Scottish or Welsh where based on present teams I would suggest only.

72 years and 2 hrs to go

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Good luck to all the teams involved with just over 2 hours to go before it kicks off.

Unless you’re Irish, Scottish or Welsh where based on present teams I would suggest only.

72 years and 2 hrs to go
    i would beg to differ - Ireland are only missing from South Africa because France got a goal via a basketball move - so your prediction is a tad harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    i would beg to differ - Ireland are only missing from South Africa because France got a goal via a basketball move - so your prediction is a tad harsh.
    I might be able to get a England flag out without being called racist for a few weeks

I have pulled out North Korea in the office sweep stake now that is harsh

ps Gemmel 1978 I cheered as much as next man

There was an interesting discussing on Jeremy Vine's radio 2 show yesterday discussing whether it was right that David Cameron should raise the English red and white flag above Downing Street or not, during the World Cup. Some people called in to say that it should have been the Union Jack as we are the "United Kingdom", some Welsh and Scottish folk said they considered themselves British first and Welsh/Scottish second so the English flag was offensive. Some said it's England who have qualified so it's right that the English Flag should be flying, but one Scottish person asked the question "Would David Cameron be flying the Scottish flag over Downing Street if the Scots had qualified?" probably not.

I suspect that David Cameron would have been criticized which ever flag he went for. If he'd gone for the Union Jack no doubt some non-English folk would have been annoyed to be associated with the English Football team, etc. I'm sure David has more pressing matters to ponder anyway.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    There was an interesting discussing on Jeremy Vine's radio 2 show yesterday discussing whether it was right that David Cameron should raise the English red and white flag above Downing Street or not, during the World Cup. Some people called in to say that it should have been the Union Jack as we are the "United Kingdom", some Welsh and Scottish folk said they considered themselves British first and Welsh/Scottish second so the English flag was offensive. Some said it's England who have qualified so it's right that the English Flag should be flying, but one Scottish person asked the question "Would David Cameron be flying the Scottish flag over Downing Street if the Scots had qualified?" probably not.

I suspect that David Cameron would have been criticized which ever flag he went for. If he'd gone for the Union Jack no doubt some non-English folk would have been annoyed to be associated with the English Football team, etc. I'm sure David has more pressing matters to ponder anyway.
    very silly. i wouldnt have a problem with downing street flying the flag of whatever UK team qualified, but its never been done before so it would raise the question "why start now"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    very silly. i wouldnt have a problem with downing street flying the flag of whatever UK team qualified, but its never been done before so it would raise the question "why start now"
    Gordon Brown was Scottish, Cameron isn’t and like the rest of us is happy to fly the UK flag as long as there is oil remaining up there ??

Given BPs problems maybe they have decided to drop the ‘British approach’ ??

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Gordon Brown was Scottish, Cameron isn’t and like the rest of us is happy to fly the UK flag as long as there is oil remaining up there ??

Given BPs problems maybe they have decided to drop the ‘British approach’ ??
    what on earth are you on about ?

I will be glad when its all over and people get rid of those stupid flags on their cars - its sooooo not great when you are our riding your horse and a "patriotic" car goes flying past with 4 flapping noisey flags and you nearly end up in the hedgerows! We have decided not to use the roads until its all over and done with

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    I will be glad when its all over and people get rid of those stupid flags on their cars - its sooooo not great when you are our riding your horse and a "patriotic" car goes flying past with 4 flapping noisey flags and you nearly end up in the hedgerows! We have decided not to use the roads until its all over and done with
    Save the horse... ride the cowboy!!!

With regards to England tomorrow

I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of this World Cup, and to outlive the menace of going out in the first round.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of every Englishman in this ,

The English, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their national team, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of the media and many old and famous Pundents have fallen or may fall into the grip of the a lack of faith and all the odious apparatus of the we are going to fail, however we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in South Afrca

We shall fight on the pitch,
    We shall fight them on the planes
    We shall fight in the bars
    we shall fight in the shopping centres
    we shall fight in the Police cells

We shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Team beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the English will, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the World cup, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

Come in England

With regards to England tomorrow

I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of this World Cup, and to outlive the menace of going out in the first round.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of every Englishman in this ,

The English, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their national team, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of the media and many old and famous Pundents have fallen or may fall into the grip of the a lack of faith and all the odious apparatus of the we are going to fail, however we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in South Afrca

We shall fight on the pitch,
    We shall fight them on the planes
    We shall fight in the bars
    we shall fight in the shopping centres
    we shall fight in the Police cells

We shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Team beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the English will, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the World cup, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

Come in England

Now we have Germany the irony

Now we have Germany the irony

It's not really irony - it's just phase 3 of the usual, ritual............(this was written before the match yesterday - and so is spot on with the victory against Slovenia).

(From the FT).

Phase one: England enter the World Cup certain they will win it.

Alf Ramsey, the only English manager to win the trophy, forecast the victory of 1966. But his prescience becomes less impressive when you realise that almost every England manager forecast victory in the World Cup, including Ramsey both times he didn't win.

Fabio Capello, England's manager at least until this afternoon, observed this ritual. "My team, the England team, we can beat all the teams," he said last month. Like all his predecessors, Capello spoke for a confident nation.

Phase two: The campaign is upended by a freakish piece of bad luck that the English conclude could only happen to them.

Here the current campaign breaks with ritual. Normally, the freakish bad luck happens in a later round: the tummy bug that felled keeper Gordon Banks in 1970, Diego Maradona's "hand of God" in 1986, or David Beckham's red card in 1998. This time, it came only 40 minutes into England's tournament: the soft USA shot that trickled through Robert Green's hands into the net.

Phase three: England lose to a former wartime enemy.

In five of their last seven World Cups, they went out against either Germany or Argentina. The matches fit seamlessly into the British tabloid view of history, except for the outcome. England's defeats to Germany, because of their grandiose yet repetitious character, are tragicomic. By contrast, elimination against a ski-mad country of 2m people would be merely comic (if you aren't English). To honour ritual, England need to revive national hubris by triumphing against Slovenia, before losing to Germany in the second round this weekend.

(Won't bore you with Phase 4, 5 and 6 - except to say that Phase 6 takes us back full circle with England believing they can win the next World Cup.....).

Of course, should England fluke their way past Germany, it's Argentina in the next round.

In the unlikely event we're still in the tournament following that tie, there's still plenty of scope to go out to a former wartime enemy - fortunately we've had a go at pretty much everybody at some time or other.

However, I was feeling unsure. Does the media evisceration of the team and/or manager usually occur between phases 1 and 2, 2 and 3, post phase 3 or on a generally continuous basis throughout?

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    Of course, should England fluke their way past Germany, it's Argentina in the next round.

In the unlikely event we're still in the tournament following that tie, there's still plenty of scope to go out to a former wartime enemy - fortunately we've had a go at pretty much everybody at some time or other.

However, I was feeling unsure. Does the media evisceration of the team and/or manager usually occur between phases 1 and 2, 2 and 3, post phase 3 or on a generally continuous basis throughout?
    The evisceration is phase 5............finding the scapegoat.

See the full article here:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/3ccc82d0-7...44feabdc0.html

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    I didnt know Argentina got a bye

Thats the team that struggle to qualify and has a shakey defence ?

Mexico should seem them off

This is the most open world cup for years

12 of the last 16 teams could still win it

This is the most open world cup for years

12 of the last 16 teams could still win it
    Yes and don't forget the Asian teams........Japan look good - with Honda steering them in the right direction. And they have yet to use Sony (their playmaker) or......................

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

After England, I am cheering on NZ, as it is my adopted country with living off and on there, and family there, so I am delighted they are doing well after that Italy draw.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Yes and don't forget the Asian teams........Japan look good - with Honda steering them in the right direction. And they have yet to use Sony (their playmaker) or......................
    True but I feel Walkmen is too slow on their left

Hitachi is on a yellow card so he will have to behave

The thing with Sushi is does he really fufill the role ?

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    After England, I am cheering on NZ, as it is my adopted country with living off and on there, and family there, so I am delighted they are doing well after that Italy draw.
    I hope you haven't paid for a Ticket to watch them in the next round , they have gone out

Great result however they remained unbeaten

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didnt know Argentina got a bye
    I'm feeling a slight urge to support Argentina actually.

Thread Information