Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dance teaching in the UK compared to other countries

Re: Dance teaching in the UK compared to other countries

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    The tests Geoff refers to were actually ended about three years ago,
    Actually I still do assessments for people wanting to move from beginnersÃ*intermediate and intermediateÃ*advanced. Some people do slip through to intermediate without being assessed but many more choose to the do assessment. Reason – the classes are harder and they appreciate the confirmation that they are ready for them.

Also they get to dance with me

And more importantly get feedback on what they need to work on to be more enjoyable to dance with (huh, just clicked that they are using me for a free mini private lesson……)

The advanced classes aren’t hugely popular but are run every Wednesday for the dedicated who come nearly every week. As the teachers are rotated through the month, students are learning a variety of moves, technique and stylistic tendencies. It is harder to sneak into this class as the level of difficulty is harder and as it is a small class, someone woefully inadequate is very obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyB View Post
    So what's the point of that, then? Unless, of course, all 'Advanced' classes are intended only for dancers who compete or perform ....

Then is it not misleading to call them 'Advanced' Ceroc classes? Perhaps they should be called 'Performance' classes or 'Choreographed moves' classes or something more appropriate? Ceroc, if I remember correctly, is first and foremost a social partner dance where everyone dances with everyone else, hence lead & follow is a pretty essential part of the dance.

Some of the people in that 'advanced' class were doing the class when I started dancing Ceroc four years ago with no notable improvement How to suggest that they shouldn't be in that class when they have been doing it for so long already though? Personally I see those classes for people who want to be ‘advanced’ and are working their way towards vs someone who is happy with their current social level of dancing. The class was labelled a long time ago and perhaps does not accurately portray how that class is currently structured.

NZMonkey has never (to my knowledge) attended one of said Advanced classes, but I do know who's classes he is referring to. And yes they are very performancey. And some of the people attending those classes thoroughly enjoy that and go for that reason.

But NZM, I'm hurt that you think that we (His Highness and I) are teaching performance moves when it is our turn to take that class

We are TRYING to teach active lead and follow (vs sloppy lead and anticipation) through moves that are genuinely freestyeable (provided that followers follow – strange concept that……). And the emphasis is less on moves than on transferable technique. Of course the most popular ‘moves’ are usually the performance move we put in *sigh* Slowly we will convert them.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing-Thea View Post
    [But NZM, I'm hurt that you think that we (His Highness and I) are teaching performance moves when it is our turn to take that class

We are TRYING to teach active lead and follow (vs sloppy lead and anticipation) through moves that are genuinely freestyeable (provided that followers follow – strange concept that……). And the emphasis is less on moves than on transferable technique. Of course the most popular ‘moves’ are usually the performance move we put in *sigh* Slowly we will convert them.....

Don't worry Dancing-Thea, you're the front end of that groundswell against the bigger moves = better dancing attitude that I referred to earlier. It's only once a month or so you get to do your thing there, but it's definitely a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing-Thea
    Actually I still do assessments for people wanting to move from beginnersÃ*intermediate and intermediateÃ*advanced. Some people do slip through to intermediate without being assessed but many more choose to the do assessment. Reason – the classes are harder and they appreciate the confirmation that they are ready for them.
    I could always ask you in person, but it seems more appropriate here for some reason.....

Those assessments are no longer a requirement are they? I didn't realise people were still doing them. Are they actively being encouraged in class?

Don't worry Dancing-Thea, you're the front end of that groundswell against the bigger moves = better dancing attitude that I referred to earlier. It's only once a month or so you get to do your thing there, but it's definitely a start.
    One step at a time... And of course I'm working on infecting the Intermediate Plus class with our sentiments as well

I could always ask you in person, but it seems more appropriate here for some reason.....

Those assessments are no longer a requirement are they? I didn't realise people were still doing them. Are they actively being encouraged in class?
    Active encouragement? To be honest, I don't know.

There hasn't been an official notice not to do assessments. There are still sign-off sheets beneath the desk (though I seem to be the only one using them) and the signoff book is still used regularly. I haven't heard any teachers telling people in their class to do an assessment but it is almost part of the culture. It normally comes in waves and every couple of weeks I get asked by a couple of students for an assessment. I would presume it is the same for the other teachers. I am also constantly asked by people if they are 'good enough' to attend our regular Intermediate Plus class.

Re: Is CEROC a Cult?

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    To be even more specific: the most recent 'advanced' workshop I attended in the UK was one taught by Phil Webb on dips and drops. All of the drops in this workshop, even the most difficult, I have been previously taught in intermediate classes in NZ. In the workshop, most of the attendees were struggling with these moves; with the same moves taught in an intermediate class in NZ, most people would be able to execute them perfectly well.
    Bear in mind though, that workshop was initially advertised as Advanced and was an 'advanced' workshop cost, but venues and the franchise weren't actually advertising it as such when talking about it. In fact at the venue where Phil teaches, they did not mention it was an advanced workshop - and personally I don't believe that there are more than 3 people who attend that venue who would really be classed as advanced dancer (all of whom are taxi dancers!)

Re: Is CEROC a Cult?

Quote Originally Posted by LilyB View Post
    So what's the point of that, then? Unless, of course, all 'Advanced' classes are intended only for dancers who compete or perform ....

Then is it not misleading to call them 'Advanced' Ceroc classes? Perhaps they should be called 'Performance' classes or 'Choreographed moves' classes or something more appropriate? Ceroc, if I remember correctly, is first and foremost a social partner dance where everyone dances with everyone else, hence lead & follow is a pretty essential part of the dance.
    Its such a pity that this is not actually taught on a regular basis.

On a number of occassions I have led a certain moves, the follower has just stopped and then said sorry I have not been taught that move. With lots of other followers who I classify as pure followers it works perfectly.

A lot of the time the art of following is learn't through social dancing rather than in a class

Thread Information