Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southport Scorch 2010 aftermath

Southport Scorch 2010 aftermath

Minnie and I have sat here all weekend with no one posting(it has been incredibly quiet) just waiting to hear the good,bad and the ugly from Southport.
    We are sitting comfortably,so,when you are ready.

Re: Southport aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Minnie and I have sat here all weekend with no one posting(it has been incredibly quiet) just waiting to hear the good,bad and the ugly from Southport.
    We are sitting comfortably,so,when you are ready.

Not quite ALL weekend, but the PC has been on for most of it. Went to Andy Mac's dance at Hove Town Hall yesterday - and been out in the sun today,

Really missed going to Southport, but couldn't face another 10 hour journey by myself again - looking forward to VLV

Dont think we will hear anything until late tonight or tomorrow - bet the drive home will be a long one especially for those without air con

(hope Lory has made one of her amazing vids)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

Not quite ALL weekend, but the PC has been on for most of it. Went to Andy Mac's dance at Hove Town Hall yesterday - and been out in the sun today,

Really missed going to Southport, but couldn't face another 10 hour journey by myself again - looking forward to VLV

Dont think we will hear anything until late tonight or tomorrow - bet the drive home will be a long one especially for those without air con

(hope Lory has made one of her amazing vids)
    I'm sure she will as she was snapping and recording like crazy with her new camera all weekend.

Well - quick review. Had to leave around 6pm tonight as I have this job thing to do tomorrow an I currently have had about 3 hours sleep since Thursday night when we arrived. It was nice to take it easy and not be driving up on a Friday and as a result we had a pretty chilled weekend.

Mike might have to rename Scorch to sweat, because this is what everyone did profusely. Temps were in the high 20's outside and about 5 degrees more inside, even with a profusion of fans running. Dancing in the main room was hot, but that was the case for pretty much anywhere. To give you an idea, the boudoir had the doors open all the way across and 6 fans going and you still sweated like a pig after just one dance.

The Good

Dancing with Fletch for the first time today. Outrageous flattery from her as to it being the best dance of the weekend, which I doubt, but it kept me on my toes.

Hannah (don't know if she is on the forum) and her amazing clothes. (Blue and white polka dot dress with red underside for swingers hour), corsets, skull and crossbones 50's dress etc. The lady or her partner must spend a fortune on them and she looks stunning.

Dancing with Lory this afternoon and the Balustrade in the Boudoir. I thought Toni was going to laugh up her lung when I sent Lory back the second time to it and I joined in with the working it/posing. The hand wiping in a blues hold almost finished her off. Thank God, its not on camera.

Steve Thomas and his amazing 100 foot, 37 people through the legs slip n slide on Saturday afternoon. (youtube footage from many to come I'm sure)

The sat afternoon entertainment - people being thrown in pools, space hopper madness and the number of bikinis bouncing on space hoppers for the lads.

BBQ's all weekend.

Playing frisbee.

WCS classes. Only started it last week and this weekend was a great follow up.

All my dances. Thank you for everyone who danced with me, you were all fantastic.

The Bad

The heat for dancing.

The ant invasions and cat pee smell in the rooms.

The pain in my hands, throat and feet from the chemical burns I suffered on Wed in my wife's jewelery workshop not going away.

The Ugly

The bump in the floor outside which caused a few spillages (like a mini humpback bridge) running along one row of tiles, which caused a number of tumbles and falls.

Southport was fab...dunno about the dancing or bouncing tho...hee...hee...

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Southport Scorch 2010 aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Back in 2008...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    In the blues room through the day can we give the DJ's some direction / input re the music that is being played
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    In what way? tempo? style? and if so, what would you (or anyone else for that matter) suggest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Personally I don't want to hear Ceroc anthems, or bouncy style music, I am sure I can hear that in the main room later in the evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    I really don't want to hear Ceroc anthems, "Now I can Dance" , DTNA etc. which would just leave me feeling
    Regretfully, in the Blues Room at the weekend, I was reminded of my post above.. .
    Love dance, will travel

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It really was a fabulous weekend and obviously the weather played a huge part

The best bits for me were the fun and games in 'the circle' and the daytime/early evening dancing and the general happy buzz that filled the air.

Huge credit goes to all those hard working volunteers who spent 2 hours filling the paddling pool with just 3 buckets and to the DJ/MC who IMO really brought the whole thing together!

As always, spending times with good friends, old and new!

Unexpected relief - sometime early on Friday night, someone must have unknowingly pulled something in my bad shoulder, which resulted in a miraculous and painless cure to months of agony!

Bad... my feet

Very very bad - the chalet.. particularly the carpet But to be fair, Pontins staff did offer to come round and shampoo it If you saw it, you'd know why I'm laughing!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The Good (this may take some time):

The whole experience! My first weekender, definitely not my last.

Bumping into the same partners in multiple subsequent classes, and getting big smiles from many of them.

It feels wrong to single out just one partner, out of the hundred or so excellent dancers I danced with during the weekend, but a big thank you to the rather good dancer that I finished a Saturday class with, that then helped me complete the routine, then in the subsequent freestyle made up for my incompetence by not only doing her own thing (so many fantastic spins, wriggles, etc), throwing in a perfectly executed Yoyo sabotage (which I duly rewarded with a look of delighted astonishment) but then actually thanked me for giving her the time to play.

The Double Trouble class - I never suspected it could be that easy, or that much fun

The sabotage class on the Sunday. Dang followers have it easy. By far the easiest class of the weekend (and also by far the most women over). I also found out just how good the sabotage the previous day was, by how difficult some partners found it in the class

The other classes. I did 14 classes, and only failed to complete the routine in one. As that was my 13th, and I was physically and mentally shattered, it's entirely my own fault. The overall teaching level was excellent, and I learned an awful lot.

The Bad:
    Forgetting everything I learned. I did invest in the DVD though, so will go through that a few times to remember the moves that I enjoyed and wanted to try in freestyle (but couldn't remember).

Being too shy to approach the people drinking at the bar on Friday to see if it was you lot.

Going alone - I'd have enjoyed the weekend more with people to spend the 'downtime' with.

Missing the space hoppers

The Ugly:
    Yeurgh, sweaty!

Me, falling on my bottom in the sabotage class. Turns out I can't turn 1 1/2 times with a gentle push from my partner. Embarrassed? Oh yeah

Overall, fantastic experience. So time to find out who from my usual venues wants to go to a weekender and book in with them.

Thank you anybody from here that I did dance with, but didn't recognise

Good

Waking up Friday morning to see the beautiful weather - what a start
    The amazing social atmosphere - IMHO a unique SP element.
    So many great dances - too many to count, but thanks to all the ladies - u were brilliant
    Samantha Buckwalter - again brilliant. Made the WCS classes so much fun and easy to understand + the lovely dance we had. I now feel so much more confident when giving the WCS a go.
    Fillipe winning the comp - people power. Champs judges, please take note!!!!!

Bad

Not really bad, but wished more people would have ventured to the WCS room. There was some great music in there, but not that many to dance with.
    Sat night, when only Blues room left open (about 5.30am) I felt (obviously my personal taste) there was insufficient variety of music to keep me interested.

Ugly

It's been said already, but so so so hot. 2 or 3 dances and people were melting.

Good
    The weather - bright sunny fabulous. Sharing with great girlies, thanks Linda and Louise!
    Bad
    Also the weather - hot, sweaty and stinky. And me, full of cold grrrr
    Gorgeous
    Afternoon dancing was fab as usual.
    Team Raph enterprise - worked out even better than hoped for!
    Cake for Alicja's BD and Di's courage on the giant jumpy-stilts
    Saturday's fun and games - we had front seats to watch all the fun at the slide LOL
    Sunday night dances - my heartfelt thanks to Jamie & Roger, guys you made my day, sorry night!

Generally another fab weekender. Just wish southport was closer, 6 hr drive home just finishes me off

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Regretfully, in the Blues Room at the weekend, I was reminded of my post above.. .

Well said David, to me this was the most disappointing aspect was the music in the afternoon, wasn't a huge fan or the number of different varied slots, i.e. swingers hour, then blues, then up tempo, then blues, it seemed to break up the flow of the afternoon for me.

Also found the blues room music a bit disappointing in the evening and about 2'ish on the Saturday found a lot of the music very similar over the 3 venues and never thought that there was a whole lot of blues until the Sunday night.

All that said I still had a wonderful time, lots of friendly faces and a lot of laughs. Enjoyed the Saturday afternoon in the "round" and really enjoyed the Sunday evening dancing especially the last set. The weather was brilliant and it put everyone in such a good mood that it really did create a magical vibe and will be booking up again for October in the next few days.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post

Well said David, to me this was the most disappointing aspect was the music in the afternoon, wasn't a huge fan or the number of different varied slots, i.e. swingers hour, then blues, then up tempo, then blues, it seemed to break up the flow of the afternoon for me.
    I actually don't mind a bit of variety in the afternoon, because it's the only place you can dance, so I think it's fair enough to play a variety of music, as long as it's done smoothly.

It was just the blandness and the played-to-death-ness of Now I Can Dance, followed by Fuoco nel Fuoco (not sure if that's spelt right, but I'm sure you all know the one...) that disappointed me.

I much preferred the random-ness of Crazy Horses, played on Sunday - possibly not even as danceable as the others, but at least it was original.

Incidentally I caught the end of the last set in the main room on Saturday night/ Sunday morning which looking at the programme turns out to be when Rocky was DJing. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, given Rocky's reputation for Blues.
    Love dance, will travel

Ah, the beauty of Southport....all the usual highlights present and correct, glorious weather plus a few new twists ("Pimp my chalet" anyone? ).

For me this was one of the most relaxing Southports ever - as Lory said there was such a happy buzz about the place, everyone seemed to be smiling more or less permanently and I detected no sign of any cliques or hot shottery.

One thing that really stood out for me was the music. Yes, Tina Arena was played during a late afternoon / early evening sack the DJ slot in the blues room, but I nearly managed to enjoy even that. More importantly the DJ's IMO got things absolutely right. I didn't hear a single "bad" set the whole week-end, and that included the sets I could hear from my chalet when I wasn't actually dancing. Of course there were times when tracks were played which wouldn't be my first choice to dance to, but you couldn't fault the quality of the tracks.

So, here is my long take on the good, bad and ugly;

Good

- swingers hour, Wow! What stamina and energy - loved the swing dresses. Well worth watching from a safe distance. Fletch's outfit just about stole the show (loved the cute socks)

- floors generally good, pleased to see that efforts were made during the week-end to keep them clean and polished. Floor on the decking area had a few problems but otherwise all rooms had great floors to dance on.

- Space, yes I'm talking dance space here not the final frontier. Shock, horror there was some almost all the time. It never felt horribly crowded when I was dancing. Couldn't work out why when the event was a sell out then realised that it was probably mainly due to the fact that Ceroc run lots of beginner classes thus encouraging a lot more relative beginners to go to SP than JA and, because most beginners are less hard core free-stylers and avoid the blues room altogether, there is more space available for the rest of us.

- The main room. I actually spent more time in there than I expected. Mostly good music, plenty of room over the far side and some really fun dances.

- Dances. No list of names from me (too many and bound to forget someone). Once again Scottish dancers an absolute delight. Great to see the return of SP "legends" like Little Monkey and Tessalicious.

- I loved the big, head level fan in the main room for cooling off

Bad

Nothing, apart from the M6 and the heat (though it didn't seem quite as hot as last year thanks to a cooling breeze)

Ugly

- My tooth ache on Friday (luckily this disappeared the next morning)

Already planning a slightly extended holiday around next years May SP so that we can stay in a hotel within half an hour or so's drive on the Thursday night and Monday night. Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post

Hannah (don't know if she is on the forum) and her amazing clothes. (Blue and white polka dot dress with red underside for swingers hour), corsets, skull and crossbones 50's dress etc. The lady or her partner must spend a fortune on them and she looks stunning.
    Thank you very much!
    Bit of a guilty habit of mine, can't resist a spinny, spinny frock! But there's definitely something be said for work hard, play harder

By far my best weekender ever, so many things conspired to make it so but an enormous thank-you and big sloppy kiss to everyone with whom I got drunk, danced, sunbathed, wiggled, shared, chatted, hopped (lindy and space!), grinded (ground?), gossiped, paddled and hugged.

Bring on Camber!!! (18 sleeps!) xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    Great to see the return of SP "legends" like Little Monkey and Tessalicious.
    No disrespect to either lady (and both are excellent followers in my experience) but in what way are they (or anyone else who might happen to go there) legends?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    No disrespect to either lady (and both are excellent followers in my experience) but in what way are they (or anyone else who might happen to go there) legends?
    Of the people who've made more than a few posts, I believe Tessa has the highest rep-to-post ratio on the forum.

That's go to mean something, right?

OK, it's a pretty thin claim to "legend" status. But hey, this is modern jive - most claims to such status have eating disorders.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Huge credit goes to all those hard working volunteers who spent 2 hours filling the paddling pool with just 3 buckets and to the DJ/MC who IMO really brought the whole thing together!
    It was 4 until somebody broke one. Just cannot get the people these days. Lyndsey and Marc put in all the organising effort.

DJ Chris U

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Perhaps it was just a casual turn of phrase, but on the other hand......

"A legend (Latin, legenda, "things to be read") is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess certain qualities that give the tale verisimilitude. Legend, for its active and passive participants includes no happenings that are outside the realm of "possibility", defined by a highly flexible set of parameters, which may include miracles that are perceived as actually having happened, within the specific tradition of indoctrination where the legend arises, and within which it may be transformed over time, in order to keep it fresh and vital, and realistic"

Maybe that sounds to me exactly like my perception of these ladies. You decide.
    Last edited by Lost Leader; 24th-May-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Another legend is rewritten

Southport just has a magic all of its own for me. Despite winning the numpty award for forgetting my clothes and having to go back home on Saturday for them, luckly only 40 mins, I had a fabulous weekend. Just one long party from Friday night to Sunday morning with a crowd of lovely people,what could be better than that.

Well........October ....we might not get the weather but I am looking forward to being taught by my favourite tango teachers ever, so that should make up for any clouds in the sky.

Thank you to all the lovely leaders who invited me to dance and to those who accepted my invitation to dance with them.

And now to sleep!

if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

I had an absolutely blinding weekend xxx This has been the first weekender since summer southport last year that I have really felt anything like myself and i have missed that feeling.

Good
    All the lovely people - I don't ever see you often enough
    The fabulous dances - so many lovely leads and follows.
    Jamie for taking the time to improve my leading.
    Team Raph was lovely.
    DTS for being DTS.

Bad
    Every one seems to be coming out later and later - some people i knew were there but never saw as I still have no stamina and DTS's knees put pay to too late a bedtime
    I'm not sure I liked the masterclasses in the foyer - if i'd paid for a masterclass I would have liked a little privacy.
    No proper igloo.

Ugly
    The heat - nice but too hot for dancing - not that it stopped us

Thats all really - really enjoyed myself and am looking forward to the next already.

DTS & I are not going to Camber as its lack of daytime time freestlye dancing has narked us the last two - so roll on September and the next one!

The May Southport is my favourite weekender out of all the weekenders, am gutted it's another year until we get those 3 days back! The weather was just as good as the year before.

The Good -
    Meeting loads of new people, had loads of great dances.

Music in the main room was better than before and quality of dances were high.

Being cheeky to lots of women purely for gits n' shiggles.

Claire's Blues help! I'll still never be able to look someone in the eye doing some of those moves...

I shared a chalet with my mum, no weird SWAS housemates for once! She cramped my style a bit, not easy to have a close Blues dance when your mum is possibly watching!

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post

Went straight from Southport to Spain!

The Bad -
    The heat made me sooooo tired, just wanted to sleep all the time.

The bumps on the deck outside, bit of a shame.

Had to turn down my first dance ever on Saturday based on the woman's actions on the night before.

Did anyone else dance with the short elderly woman with the long blonde ponytail in the main room? Someone needs to have a word with her...her dancing wasn't your typical vice-grip, it was a real health hazard.

4 months til the next Southport! It's too long to wait!

Anyways, another great weekender, will be back in October.

Thread Information