Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tickets for Ceroc weekenders

Commercial Operator

Re: Tickets for Ceroc weekenders

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I can, as you say afford to lose £75 and I did expect their to be a cost. But a 10% - 20% handling charge was more what i was expecting.

And of course their has to be a cut off date, that's only fair.
    There is a big difference between buying curtains that subsequently don't fit and paying for a place at a dance weekender and then changing your mind or circumstances. The difference is that you changed your mind or circumstances. Ceroc didn't change anything. You chose to change what you were going to do or you forgot that you were doing something else.

In those circumstances it us up to you to do something about it as you are the one who changed, not Ceroc. I think that a reasonable company would offer to re-sell your tickets and charge you a reasonable amount for the service. Putting it simply, you have, by your change of mind, caused Ceroc more work and you should pay for the extra work, not Ceroc.

Should you be able to transfer you ticket to someone else? Only if that was permitted in the terms and conditions at the time of purchase.

In terms of the amount you are charged for the re-selling service. Ceroc should not be out of pocket because you changed your mind and the cost of staff doing something outside their routine is very high - my guess is that they don't cover the labour cost of reselling tickets.

..And of course I could use the message board. But it seems to me that's doing ceroc's job.
    Again, I just don't get it.. you buy a ticket, then can't make the event and you want Ceroc to sell it for you... seriously?

Ceroc have spent time, effort and money to set up the message board to make sure that it enables people in exactly your position to connect with people who might want to buy your ticket in a quick and effecient manner, and you still don't seem happy with that. You are aware that no other weekender organzer provides this facility aren't you?

I just think it would be better if ceroc charged a reasonable 'admistration' fee and then re-sold the ticket down 'official lines'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    In terms of the amount you are charged for the re-selling service. Ceroc should not be out of pocket because you changed your mind and the cost of staff doing something outside their routine is very high - my guess is that they don't cover the labour cost of reselling tickets.
    Andy's absolutely right, what people who aren't involved in the admin of something as massive as a weekend event with 1,500-2,000 dancers attending is the extraordinary amount of admin that goes into it. You might consider taking a payment, allocating a room, offering a refund, re-allocating a room, updating the booking system to make your chalet available again, re-assesing the gender balance etc. is insignificant, but it's not. It takes time and that's not to mention that if you paid by credit card that Ceroc were charged around a 4% fee on the transaction itself...

I seem to be over ruled, I'll live with it.
    I hope it doesn't put you off re-booking in the future. Seriously Jim, try the message board, it really does work.

On a separate issue. I have been trying to amend a booking for a Ceroc weekender for over a week. I emailed Ceroc with the current details of my booking and what I would like to change it to. I had no reply after a few days so then texted the mobile number alerting them to my email.
    Still nothing.

I am just worried that despite there being the availability for my change of plans at the moment, by the time I get a reply from Ceroc it will be sold out. A week seems a very long time to wait for a response.

Is there another way of doing this apart from making another booking and then reselling the original? Any one know? Thanks.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And of course I could use the message board. But it seems to me that's doing ceroc's job.
    What, re-selling your ticket?

Sure, you could make a "good customer service" argument that they should do more, but saying "it's their job" is OTT.

On the other hand I could get a check from someone I don't know on the other side of the country. People I don't know could send me money, and hope I'll do my side of the bargin.
    People are usually quite trustworthy in individual transactions.

I would absolutely be on your side if Ceroc had made a change to the format which made you want to cancel / re=shedule. For example, I remember a couple of years back, booking for a (Jive Addiction) Southport weekender featuring Vincent and Flavia. Vincent and Flavia pulled out; to me, that totally changed the dynamic of the event so I rescheduled.

But if you suddenly decide for your own reasons (which may be good valid reasons, but are - and this is the key - your own reasons), to pull out, especially at relatively short notice, then you have far less of a case. You need to rely on goodwill and customer service. Beyond those, Ceroc - or any event organiser - has no obligations to you.

That's simply the way these things work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    On a separate issue. I have been trying to amend a booking ......... Any one know? Thanks.
    Sorted! Phoned the hotline - apparently the email address on the website is incorrect.

I can, as you say afford to lose £75 and I did expect their to be a cost. But a 10% - 20% handling charge was more what i was expecting.

And of course their has to be a cut off date, that's only fair.

And of course I could use the message board. But it seems to me that's doing ceroc's job.

I seem to be over ruled, I'll live with it.
    I can see two sides, as far as I am aware ceroc were one of the first and largely still the ONLY weekender event where they want all the money upfront.

They can do this as they have a captive market and little competition

So you probably get more people selling tickets for what ever reason nearer the time as they had to pay the full amount 8 months earlier (this defacto situation doesn’t seem to cause the stir it use to).

However why someone should expect Ceroc to sell your ticket I am not sure ?

The bulletin board provided is an excellent where to off load tickets

In terms of cancellation costs then if there published that’s fine

On a separate issue. I have been trying to amend a booking for a Ceroc weekender for over a week. I emailed Ceroc with the current details of my booking and what I would like to change it to. I had no reply after a few days so then texted the mobile number alerting them to my email.
    Still nothing.

I am just worried that despite there being the availability for my change of plans at the moment, by the time I get a reply from Ceroc it will be sold out. A week seems a very long time to wait for a response.

Is there another way of doing this apart from making another booking and then reselling the original? Any one know? Thanks.
    Whats wrong with the phone ??

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Whats wrong with the phone ??

Well they do request you email your amendments and only use the phone if urgent. As this was for Breeze I thought I would do as requested but see above for update.

Well they do request you email your amendments and only use the phone if urgent. As this was for Breeze I thought I would do as requested but see above for update.
    Glad I was of help

I remember once getting the hump when I e-mailed this person at work and they didn’t respond

By Day 2 (and another e-mail) the ways I was going to top them was growing

Transpires (after I called) they were on holiday for a week and hadn’t put their out of office function on

Now personal if you don’t text back within 5 mins

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Welcome to the world of being a woman who doesn't have a man to book with! I wanted a club chalet for 3 women for Bliss in November and booked it 2-3 months ago to make sure I got what I wanted.
    Even booking further in advance than that causes us problems - we usually want a 3 or 4 female chalet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I hope it doesn't put you off re-booking in the future. Seriously Jim, try the message board, it really does work.
    It won't, I'm generally very happy with Ceroc and the sevice they provided. I've already booked breeze and the next southport.

A number of sensible people have disagreed with me on the thread and I will simply have to reasses my point of view with that in mind .

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    There is a big difference between buying curtains that subsequently don't fit and paying for a place at a dance weekender and then changing your mind or circumstances.
    True, but I think the analogy here was a poor one. Booking a stay at a hotel may be a better comparison. I often have to stay at hotels at work, and due to various reasons (meetings being cancelled etc) have had to cancel my accomodation. Whenever I've done this, provided it was in good time* (usually 24 hours prior to my check in time for my regular hotels) the hotel has refunded me the entirity of the cost of my booking. The rationale being that the service I've purchased can still be sold on to another party before it expires (can't sell a stay in a hotel room on the 1st of the month after the date etc etc)

In other hotels I've stayed at they've had a policy of (for example) cancel 4 weeks before your stay, get 100% of the money back, 3 weeks, 75%, 2 weeks, 50% etc.

*I grant that "good time" will vary case on case

I'm sure there would be issues with trying to incorporate this type of system with a weekend (the imapct of gender balancing for example - what's to stop me booking a fictious male partner on my booking to get a ticket, and then get a refund?) but the option for flexibility is arguably there

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi View Post
    True, but I think the analogy here was a poor one. Booking a stay at a hotel may be a better comparison.
    Perhaps, but the hotel, arguably, do not have to pay themselves in advance, to hire their own room, therefore if they do not sell it on, they have lost nothing.

If you cancel your place at a weekender, whoever is running the event will still need to pay for your chalet.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Perhaps, but the hotel, arguably, do not have to pay themselves in advance, to hire their own room, therefore if they do not sell it on, they have lost nothing.

If you cancel your place at a weekender, whoever is running the event will still need to pay for your chalet.
    Princess Fi's analogy would only be inexact if the entire venue wasn't being hired, for a fixed price.

I suspect the price paid to Pontins doesn't vary hugely between a half full and a full weekender, given the limited marginal costs involved.

And a hotel will similarly have some marginal costs.

Thread Information