Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tickets for Ceroc weekenders

The Forum Legend

Tickets for Ceroc weekenders

Is it just me that thinks that now a lot of these events are selling out, there's such an opportunity for ticket touts...

One post on the Ceroc message board reads:

Quote Originally Posted by david nicolas
    I have a budget chalet for single male occupancy (original cost £129). I also have on-site car parking (original cost £20). I am selling for £199 and the first person to deposit the money into my bank account via BACS or internet transfer secures.
    Nice little £50 earner there!

Being not sure whether or not I could go to the weekend, I left it too late to book, but now wanting to go, I also responded to another message offering a wristband and room at a given price, only to get an email back saying that a lot of people had shown interest, and that I could now make an offer for the place.

On another note, although I've taken up the option myself, I do find in quite interesting to see people selling 'wristbands only' for the same price as the original wristband + room price. Presumably people who have a wristband for sale but don't want a random stranger sharing their chalet. Which I suppose is fair enough, and if there are people prepared to pay the price it means that you get more chalet space. You might think that people would sell a wristband only deal for less than the price paid for a wristband + room deal though. Or am I just too naive?

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Tickets for Ceroc weekenders

I assume you're talking about Viva Las Vegas - despite the "Sold Out" message that I'm sure I saw somewhere, there still seem to be Male Share-with-a-Stranger tickets for sale on the website?

I guess that for people who have someone that they could share with, I guess the "wristband-only" tickets may be nearly as valuable without accommodation. But it is a tad cheeky to sell it for full price.
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Is it just me that thinks that now a lot of these events are selling out, there's such an opportunity for ticket touts...
    I think I know David Nicolas. If it's the guy I'm thinking of he's trying his luck. If it's not him, he's trying his luck. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I assume you're talking about Viva Las Vegas - despite the "Sold Out" message that I'm sure I saw somewhere, there still seem to be Male Share-with-a-Stranger tickets for sale on the website?
    I think David's right, just checked... there are male "share with strangers" @ £64 in the budgets

Just to say thats for Vegas
    Last edited by Glenn; 1st-June-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: missed info

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Nice little £50 earner there!

the price it means that you get more chalet space. You might think that people would sell a wristband only deal for less than the price paid for a wristband + room deal though. Or am I just too naive?
    I had a spare ladies ticket for February’s Southport, which I sold at the discounted (taxi) price, could have sold it 5 times over. I think it is very mean spirited to make money on our fellow dancers but maybe that’s just me, maybe I'm niave too

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I had a spare ladies ticket for February’s Southport, which I sold at the discounted (taxi) price, could have sold it 5 times over. I think it is very mean spirited to make money on our fellow dancers but maybe that’s just me, maybe I'm niave too

Absolutely! When I was looking for a last minute wristband to Scorch - I found one which was being sold at the actual price the guy paid. He could have asked a lot more for it. When I sold a last minute wristband to Breeze last year I sold it at a slight loss. I love making a few pennies on Ebay, etc, but not in the dance community - just doesn't feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    IMO when the Ceroc message board is being used (and hopefully this forum) then tickets should be sold at or below cost and for wristbands at a predetermined discount or less. Otherwise their message should not be allowed. It is message board that is giving them the opportunity to sell at an inflated price.

Funnily enough i had a friend request on facebook from a David Nicolas this morning!
    I think selling a ticket for over cost value is taking the p!55, i know that for camber last november that Mike was selling some "squatters rights" wristbands at £89 but you had to find your own accomodation

The only way to stop it is by refusing to pay over cost price. If there's a market of buyers there will always be sellers (and there'll always be a genuine secondary market for event passes when people's plans change, etc) Everyone gets a fair chance to purchase initially.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    Funnily enough i had a friend request on facebook from a David Nicolas this morning!
    Actually, so did I. i hadn't made the association till I read your post!

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    The only way to stop it is by refusing to pay over cost price.
    I don't particularly agree with people making a profit on selling tickets but then again, nobody's being forced to pay either.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Actually, so did I. i hadn't made the association till I read your post!
    Ditto! Bless!

I don't particularly agree with people making a profit on selling tickets but then again, nobody's being forced to pay either.
    Hmmm.... I don't agree with it either... having said that it's useful in one respect in that it gives people confidence to go ahead and purchase a ticket for a weekender knowing that if they then can't make it that there's a good market out there for them that enables them to cover their costs and sell their ticket on..

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, so did I.
    I didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Hmmm.... I don't agree with it either... having said that it's useful in one respect in that it gives people confidence to go ahead and purchase a ticket for a weekender knowing that if they then can't make it that there's a good market out there for them that enables them to cover their costs and sell their ticket on..
    Agreed, and since women have to book so far in advance if they want to go and don't have a man to drag along, it's great for us!

However, what if some less than scrupulous folks start buying places up with the intention of selling them on at a profit? Ladies places would be particularly vulnerable to it - and since we seem to have some women prepared to shell out for phantom men already, I doubt that simply urging punters not to buy from ticket touts is going to work. Not sure what Ceroc can do about this, but it might be something they have to start considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Not sure what Ceroc can do about this, but it might be something they have to start considering.
    Well, one off's would be impossible to do anything about, but the booking system is extraordinarily comprehensive in its reporting structure. So, it would be quite easy to spot trends with certain people booking and selling their tickets on, multiple bookings from the same email account etc, etc

Thanks to everyone concerned for bringing the issues up, now that it's obvious this is happening it can be easily monitored and action can be taken if the problem persists.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Agreed, and since women have to book so far in advance if they want to go and don't have a man to drag along, it's great for us!

However, what if some less than scrupulous folks start buying places up with the intention of selling them on at a profit? Ladies places would be particularly vulnerable to it - and since we seem to have some women prepared to shell out for phantom men already, I doubt that simply urging punters not to buy from ticket touts is going to work. Not sure what Ceroc can do about this, but it might be something they have to start considering.
    They could ask for all the names of those taking up the places at booking point (not just the leader) and any changes to go through Ceroc notice board, this may be a bit timely and admin heavy. Maybe a little unfair to someone like me who has booked a 3 person chalet (as there were no 1 bedroom club chalets available to book) for Southport again, but I promise I wont make any profit when I have to sell on the extra place

It seems there's no holds barred when it comes to making a buck...it just going to make booking up for some events a mad dash.

I see that Swish is already sold out for Feb 2011.. is that the normal trend for that venue ?? its 8 &^*%% months away !!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I didn't
    I rejected him anyway - i dont add people that i havent ever spoken too

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    I rejected him anyway -
    DD, don't be too hasty love... he says on his profile he's a 'gigolo' and a 'STUD'
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It seems there's no holds barred when it comes to making a buck...it just going to make booking up for some events a mad dash.

I see that Swish is already sold out for Feb 2011.. is that the normal trend for that venue ?? its 8 &^*%% months away !!!
    Swish pretty much sells out within 48 hours.

Thread Information