View Poll Results: My regular or most recent Modern Jive teacher ...

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • .. sometimes or often tells me what I should be doing with my feet.

15 75.00%
  • .. never tells me what my feet should be doing.

1 5.00%
  • .. says "there is no footwork".

4 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: "There is no footwork"

Blog Entries

Re: "There is no footwork"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    And you'd have a real problem doing the LeRoc variation of MJ to a track that's 83bpm. Stepping on every second beat would mean you'd be changing your weight at 41.5bpm - who remembers the opening sequence to "Six Million Dollar Man"?
    What variation's that then, Andy?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    What variation's that then, Andy?
    It's the one with a tap with the unweighted foot and no weight change. It seems to be the basic in much of the footwork in some of the moves described in the LeRoc manual. There's nothing wrong with this footwork as it seems compatible with the footwork many of us teach as the basic in MJ. But it is different. There's a few other variations as well, but I'm only taking about the step-tap-step-tap variation where the weight is on the same foot for two beats.

Blog Entries

It's the one with a tap with the unweighted foot and no weight change. It seems to be the basic in much of the footwork in some of the moves described in the LeRoc manual. There's nothing wrong with this footwork as it seems compatible with the footwork many of us teach as the basic in MJ. But it is different. There's a few other variations as well, but I'm only taking about the step-tap-step-tap variation where the weight is on the same foot for two beats.
    Are you sure that the footwork in the LeRoc manual doesn't actually look like the footwork in the old Nicky Haslam video I posted up-thread?

If you're still sure, could you post a section of the manual (copyright permitting), so that I can see what you mean?

Commercial Operator

Are you sure that the footwork in the LeRoc manual doesn't actually look like the footwork in the old Nicky Haslam video I posted up-thread?

If you're still sure, could you post a section of the manual (copyright permitting), so that I can see what you mean?
    I think the manual is for Members Only. I'd probably get my wrist slapped for posting it on here. Sorry.

Commercial Operator

I'm not going to traipse back through this thread, but isn't the old Nicky footwork of the step-tap variety?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Seems to me it's just walking or as one person said, Stomping. Is the spare hand also something you teach?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Seems to me it's just walking or as one person said, Stomping. Is the spare hand also something you teach?
    As it happens I'm quite happy with that clip.
    Last edited by DavidY; 2nd-July-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Seems to me it's just walking or as one person said, Stomping.
    Er, that would have been me....
    And that vid clip is a close representation of stomping. In my opinion.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    As I said, I'm quite happy with that clip.

Here is what Todd wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd as MJiveAlive on YouTube
    I cant belive Andy Mcgregor is a teacher. His dance style is awful. Stomping with your arm sticking out is nota good look.
    And here is what I wrote in reply a few months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor on YouTube
    Hey, we were having a laugh. The other people who replied had no trouble getting the joke! It was two guys dancing together so use of the free hand was a camp decoration. And we needed to pick up our feet rather than glide because we were dancing on a sticky night-club carpet. I've won many national medals and have been in the finals of every UK Modern Jive Competition - can you, or your teacher, say the same?. While we're being critical perhaps you should review your spelling of "believe".
    So Todd, now that you've outed yourself as my critic, perhaps you could answer my question. Hopefully your spelling has improved.

I don't see myself as "stomping". I was poncing around and having a laugh with Jamie.

I'm afraid I call "Smooth Jive" by it's proper name. That name is Modern Jive. The reason some people use "smooth" is to differentiate it from Modern Jive done badly in a jerky, frame-breaky, bouncy kinda way.

I don't think you can do basic Modern Jive to a track that's 83 bpm. And you'd have a real problem doing the LeRoc variation of MJ to a track that's 83bpm. Stepping on every second beat would mean you'd be changing your weight at 41.5bpm - who remembers the opening sequence to "Six Million Dollar Man"?
    I'd call it MJ too Andy, on that we agree

Hmm - but this thread is about footwork in MJ, not "basic MJ". There's a perfectly good lyric to dance to in the track that allows for variation. Just coz the footwork isn't on every beat (or other beat) doesn't stop there being footwork.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by alinp View Post
    Hmm - but this thread is about footwork in MJ, not "basic MJ". There's a perfectly good lyric to dance to in the track that allows for variation. Just coz the footwork isn't on every beat (or other beat) doesn't stop there being footwork.
    Ahh, now we're talking about floating around while music is playing. You're moving your feet, but it's stopped being MJ. In fact, there's many dances that this floating about could NOT be. It's NOT Foxtrot, Samba, merengue, salsa or tango as much as it's not MJ. Just because you danced MJ to the last track and you are at an MJ night doesn't make it MJ. The best description of this floating about to slow music would probably be blues dancing at that's about the music rather than a clearly defined dance.

Having said that, I think you could do MJ to tracks at 80bpm. You can choose to mix up the footwork marking every beat or marking the &s between the beats - stepping twice as fast as the beat. However, the MJ foowork variation where the follow keeps her weight on one foot for two beats is going to look very slo-mo.

Having said that, I think you could do MJ to tracks at 80bpm. You can choose to mix up the footwork marking every beat or marking the &s between the beats - stepping twice as fast as the beat. However, the MJ foowork variation where the follow keeps her weight on one foot for two beats is going to look very slo-mo.
    I can see we're not going to agree on this point (although we do agree about the basic "yes there is footwork" point).

Anyway, surely one of the great joys of MJ, a reason so many people enjoy it, is the lack of restriction, the variation if u like, that is perfectly permissable on the MJ dancefloor. Suffice to say that this variation allows for NOT having to step on every beat (and in fact occasionally not stepping on beat at all). It is not uncommon to see both leaders and followers hold their weight on 1 foot for numerous beats, or perhaps move their feet to something other than the base beat, a piano or sax or even the lyric perhaps?!?!?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alinp View Post
    {SNIP}

Search youtube and you will find many examples of people not stepping on every beat.

You don't need footwork in alot of dances. Most of the time, the footwork is only there to get the body moving. You can lead followers without moving from the spot by body leading and arm leading.

Commercial Operator

You don't need footwork in alot of dances. Most of the time, the footwork is only there to get the body moving. You can lead followers without moving from the spot by body leading and arm leading.
    Although footwork can be quite useful if you want to ... you know ... actually dance.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Although footwork can be quite useful if you want to ... you know ... actually dance.

What about the dancers that are in wheelchairs? A few do MJ.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

What about the dancers that are in wheelchairs? A few do MJ.
    that would be "wheelwork" but his point still applies

Here is what Todd wroteQuote: Originally Posted by Todd as MJiveAlive on YouTube
    I cant belive Andy Mcgregor is a teacher. His dance style is awful. Stomping with your arm sticking out is nota good look.

So Todd, now that you've outed yourself as my critic....
    Andy - You've got the wrong person.

A) I've never posted anything on YouTube before in my life and
    B) Don't go around making direct personal attacks on other peoples dance form (but will, at times, express an opinion on a subject in an open debate as can be found on a public forum like this), hence
    C) Haven't "outed" myself as anyones crytic and, finally, I
    D) Don't expect I'll get the appropriate appology

Commercial Operator

Please accept my apologies. I thought it was you because it looked like you'd said it was you. Here is the post which was the answer to another post that said "Seems to me it's just walking or as one person said, Stomping."
    The way I read it you were coming forward was the "one person".

Sorry. It shows that the written word is imprecise.

That's okay Andy - appology accepted.
    I think it's a simple case of crossed wires. No harm done

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

That's just not nice that is, in either sentiment OR spelling

Thread Information