Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any HTC phone users?

Re: Any HTC phone users?

Friend at work bought a Desire last week. She's delighted with it, although she's also seeking a protective case - apparently it doesn't come with one, and it doesn't have a cover on the camera lens.

Slightly more technically inclined friend at work has opted for the x10, although he's been waiting three weeks for it already. I'll suggest the keyboard upgrade to him

Given Apple's capricious, arbitrary and opaque censoring of content, I've no intention of ever buying one of their devices.
    Their hardware is generally a generation behind, but indeed, it's the content control that makes me refuse outright.

I am however getting jealous of all these people around me upgrading to shiny new Android phones. Must keep reminding myself, there's nothing wrong with my phone!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    Apple's hardware, in this case, doesn't really compare. Because they tune the OS to the Hardware, it tends to punch well above its weight in terms of performance.

Im talking things like bluetooth, decent resolution camera etc etc. All things that look like they are still missing from the new iPhone 4g !!!!

The big issue for me is the content. Given Apple's capricious, arbitrary and opaque censoring of content, I've no intention of ever buying one of their devices.
    Same here. It's one of the reasons I don't like them. That along with their marketing stratagy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Well just had a very nice chat with my upgrade advisor (!) in O2 who told me if I said "YES!" there and then I could get my HTC Desire next day delivery !!
    Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Grrr, I'm with Vodafone, and mine's still nowhere in sight!
    It's ok.. Grrr.. They LIED !

Have called a couple of times and have been told continually just to check my local stores as they don't know when they'll get any in stock. The stores just laugh at you when you ask if they have one in stock!

Sigh !

It's ok.. Grrr.. They LIED !

Have called a couple of times and have been told continually just to check my local stores as they don't know when they'll get any in stock. The stores just laugh at you when you ask if they have one in stock!

Sigh !
    Mine arrived after 2 weeks so not too much of a wait. It's great - no issues so far, although i did panic when there wasn't a huge manual for me to read. Definitely worth waiting for IMO

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Mine arrived after 2 weeks so not too much of a wait.
    hmm.. I've been told to call back again on Monday as there's supposed to be a delivery then however they can't take "any more" back orders .. which implies there's already a lot of back orders in their system. I might be lucky.. I might not. Still going to be 5 days or so for them to deliver it when it eventually egts into stock.

hmm.. I've been told to call back again on Monday as there's supposed to be a delivery then however they can't take "any more" back orders .. which implies there's already a lot of back orders in their system. I might be lucky.. I might not. Still going to be 5 days or so for them to deliver it when it eventually egts into stock.
    after much phoning to and fro.. I threw my dummy out of the pram and said "Oh well.. T-mobile have them in stock.. see you later" upshot being my new HTC Desire is in the post today and should be with me for the weekend.

So I'll have something to play with while Twirly is at Viva !!

it arrived yesterday and have to say, first impressions, it looks pretty good.

obviously I've not set it all up the way I like it yet. Got Spotify on there (works better than the iPhone version.. or is that just me?) and google sky map (replacing the iphone Sky map software I had .. not as full featured, but free )

not really figured out where everything is yet and how best to organise things.. I'll get there soon enough.

really nice phone and considerably lighter than my iPhone 3G 16GB

3 weeks later...

Phone still looks great. Fantastic apps (some written by Yours truly ) fast device, OLED screen is a bit hard to see in direct sunlight.

and it;s being sent back to O2 this week

long story short, unhappy with O2 b@ll@xing up my account , my access to various things (3G access.. gone! Wifi Access.. Gone !) etc etc so I'm cancelling my account and returning the phone.

So back to square one again. have to find a new provider (thinking T-Mobile but need to read the small print first) definitely staying with the Desire !

had to laugh though.. Poor guy in the O2 complaints department was SO EAGER for me to stay. they even offered me a free upgrade to an iPhone 4 !! LOL how I laughed ! Not at his offer, but he seemed so totally bemused by the fact that anyone WOULDN'T want an iPhone !!

anyway once I find a new mobile provider I'll have to order my phone.. so will probably have another 2 to 3 weeks on no smartphone access.

still have my old iPhone on a T-mobile PAYG sim.. but it doesn't have any apps on it any more as I had cleared it down to sell it. better than nothing I guess.

Fantastic apps (some written by Yours truly)
    Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to develop apps for Andriod?
    OLED screen is a bit hard to see in direct sunlight.
    That's true - but none of the smart-phones I've worked with work well in sunlight. You need to crank up the brightness. Curiously, good polarised sunglasses make it much easier to see - but it's still not easy.

I hope you get it sorted out soon. I'm on Vodafone, but have mixed impressions with the quality of the signal I get.

Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to develop apps for Android?
    Really really easy

I am currently porting an iPhone App* that was ported from a Windows Mobile app that was ported from a Palm Pilot App that I wrote donkeys ago

well I've written it for every phone/pda I've ever had in everything from C to Java.. I should know it's in's and outs by now

coding for Android is a breeze, and actually a pleasure to do.

* sadly due to the way iPhone Apps are written, me not having an actual to Code on , nor wanting to pay Apple the ridiculous fee just for the privilege of installing it on my iPhone it never worked properly**. I was developing it with ..ahem.. "non apple software" on a jailbroken iPhone

** but the idea was sound

me not having an actual [???] to Code on
    For those viewers not playing along at home.. the missing word in that sentence was "Mac"

I'm also looking to upgrade my phone & trying to weigh up what to go for....

A friend has an iphone, looks pretty good to me, - the main reason he went for one of those over the Desire is the fact that the screen on the Desire is very difficult to see outside in the daylight, whereas the contrast on the iphone is such that its clearer. This was important to him as, being a keen golfer, he's using the GPS App which tells him exactly how far away from the holes he is, on any golf course in the world

You can certainly get cheaper deals with the Desire, & I like the fact that the storage capability is flexible with the SD card slot (which the iphone doesn't have) - the only problem with the Desire is that ONLY the internal storage (576mb 'ish?) can be used to store Apps

Apparently they're working on the Android OS/Desire UI at the moment allowing you to store Apps onto the SD card too, apparently this'll be available in a few months... - I might hang on till they've sorted out this issue & go for the Desire then.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    the Desire is very difficult to see outside in the daylight, .
    I have an HTC touch dual, its impossible to read in daylight

Apparently they're working on the Android OS/Desire UI at the moment allowing you to store Apps onto the SD card too, apparently this'll be available in a few months... - I might hang on till they've sorted out this issue & go for the Desire then.

Android 2.2 (FroYo) available for HTC Desire now.. unless you're on Vodafone.. in whcih case you'll get a downgrade to a buggy version of 2.1 instead !!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I was sent and downloaded the upgrade from HTC, for the Desire. I then couldn't get any 3G for days! I called 'Three' and they talked me through checking the settings. So for the non geeks like me, be aware that the update turns off some automatically.

Is it really true that HTC stands for Has To Compromise?

Sent from my iPhone

Android 2.2 (FroYo) available for HTC Desire now.. unless you're on Vodafone.. in whcih case you'll get a downgrade to a buggy version of 2.1 instead !!
    Vodafone have changed their plans on this after customer complaints. The FroYo upgrade is now due in a week or so, minus the Vodafone 360 spam.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

Sent from my iPhone
    Nope

There are pros & cons to both

...the Desire, & I like the fact that the storage capability is flexible with the SD card slot (which the iphone doesn't have)

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Possibly !! Very Possibly !!

now with iPhone the hardware and the software are as one, indivisible. With the range of Android devices, it's not so clear cut.

Now, Compared to iPhone OS.. I, personally, (and it IS JUST A PERSONAL OPINION) prefer Android. So far I've been VERY PLEASED with the Android / HTC Desire combination. That is until recently.

While the Android OS performs swimmingly.. I'm less than impressed with the hardware. my HTC desire has developed the all too common hardware bug that plagues the HTC hardware. the overheating / random reboot problem.

I get 3 to 5 mins use then it reboots. In order to get it to stay on long enough for me to get my personal data/ backups off I need to strip the back off my phone and apply an ice pack to the back of the phone (doing my utmost to ensure no condensation builds up!)

So still love the Android system but less than impressed with the hardware it's running on.. at least the HTC devices. Hear good things about the Samsung phones.

.. .. but am not planning to be an early adopter

Hi
    Have HTC wildfire and after an initial weekend hating it I am slowly getting used to it now! Not sure I have all the androidy apps running that it can run but once you have read manual it is pretty user friendly! Does have a shocking battery life but like said before all smart phones tend to...

x

Thread Information