Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is CEROC a Cult?

Re: Is CEROC a Cult?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

People don't listen to the safety announcements, no matter how much they're repeated.
    Unfortunately, you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Billi Wiz View Post
    anyone noticed that there is weird tendency within the CEROC-ites to attack those who do not embrace their one true MJ Faith...

Worse than the non-believers are the apostates and heretics of other MJ forms who must be singled out and destroyed lest they lead the good CEROC-ites away from the path of the blessed prophet ELLARD... who sends out his disciples to spread the word and root out the weak and doubting... and his deeds are praised to the heavens and his enemies smitten..

Praise the lord and pass the ammunition!
    Okay you say you are being playful, but I think the word is 'passion'!

G

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    I don't think it is possible to win at the Champs by just doing Ceroc classes. I reckon there should be a special category
    There already is. It's called "Ceroc X". You learn everything you need to enter this category by attending a Ceroc class or two.

Of course you wouldn't win unless you had style, musicality and generally looked fabulous when you were dancing and only slightly less fabulous when you are standing still.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    There already is. It's called "Ceroc X". You learn everything you need to enter this category by attending a Ceroc class or two.
    Interesting! Is this fairly new? To be honest I wouldn't know because I have never been to a Champs out of principle (it's a long story).

Of course you wouldn't win unless you had style, musicality and generally looked fabulous when you were dancing and only slightly less fabulous when you are standing still.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    Interesting! Is this fairly new? To be honest I wouldn't know because I have never been to a Champs out of principle (it's a long story).
    You should try one of the other competitions. There's one in Brighton in October with a devilishly handsome adjudicator

As a matter of interest one of the founding principles of Ceroc was that there would be NO Ceroc competitions. And this was basically the case from Ceroc's inception in 1980 till the first champs in 1998 or 1999 (can't quite remember). Prior to that they had 24 hour charity marathons about every 18 months of which I attended 2 in 1993 and 1994 (still got my T-shirt somewhere).

You should try one of the other competitions. There's one in Brighton in October with a devilishly handsome adjudicator
    U retired then Andy?????

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by alinp View Post
    U retired then Andy?????

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

And past 1-2 years, teaching is simply irrelevant - it's not seen as worth it to Ceroc to promote any learning programme beyond that point, they clearly don't believe there is a consistent demand from their customers.

(Admittedly this is a massive over-generalisation, as "Ceroc" covers a wide range of franchisees, some of whom do make such efforts. But "Ceroc" sets the overall agenda, structure and basic business model still)
    Exactly and over the years Ceroc have tried various ‘advance classes’ and there has never been the demand

I don’t know how many people ‘look elsewhere’ to develop their dancing , I would guess 5% based on 100 people I know .

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Exactly and over the years Ceroc have tried various ‘advance classes’ and there has never been the demand
    I have found the biggest problem with "advanced classes" is that you can't control who comes to the class. Different people have different ideas about what "advanced" means. That means you get a huge mix of levels in the "advanced" lesson and it's impossible to make it challenging enough for the better dancers without making it impossible for some of the other "advanced" dancers.

I have found the biggest problem with "advanced classes" is that you can't control who comes to the class. Different people have different ideas about what "advanced" means. That means you get a huge mix of levels in the "advanced" lesson and it's impossible to make it challenging enough for the better dancers without making it impossible for some of the other "advanced" dancers.
    From what I have seen of advanced classes, it seems the moves are harder but no technique is being taught therefore it is even harder to led as well as follow

I recently tried a "Tango Fusion" avanced class, a couple of us have several years of MJ and Tango

but there were two complete beginners in the group. I don't think any one learnt anything

..an amusing thought - some cults claim to save lives - (eg - scientology claims to take people of drugs) point is getting involved in Ceroc last year DID save mine.. I hadn't danced for 2 years & and was not in a good place, Lyndsey & Mark took me to their South Wales class's, I moved there & now help them out DJIng. Now have friends, security ,and promote, like a cult, but I'd say unlike a cult, I havent been brainwashed but unbrainwashed,(to have fun) lol, Really I just wanted to say thanks to Lyndsey & am using this thread, lol

G

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W View Post
    getting involved in Ceroc last year DID save mine..
    I'm sure I'm not the only dance teacher who is regularly told "you saved my life". My answer is always the same, "all I did was teach you to dance and put on some social events. You did the difficult bit and decided to come along in the first place".

However, I sometimes think we should be given a grant by Social Services or the Samaritans as we do seem to "save" at least a dozen lives a year.

..cool, but I mean literally did save my life, shame I'll probably be moving on soon,thu, lol. But Ceroc is cool & Lyndsey is v special thu not sure she realises it...

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W View Post
    ..cool, but I mean literally did save my life, shame I'll probably be moving on soon,thu, lol. But Ceroc is cool & Lyndsey is v special thu not sure she realises it...
    mm, bit of a radical re think over last few days and stepping out of Ceroc and replanning has made me backtrack and see that it is actually veering to cultish tendencies, such a shame, ...

G

Thread Information