Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scorch Question

Re: Scorch Question

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    I was hoping that by now, after the appalling gender imbalance at Breeze last year, Ceroc would have done something to address this problem. If they havn't it could well be the last Ceroc weekender I attend
    Breeze has been something of an outlier, not representative of the other major Ceroc weekenders, in terms of gender balance.

You've got 6 other major Ceroc weekenders, where a dismal gender balance for men in jive workshops is the order of the day.

I don't get complaining when the balance is so slanted in ladies favour

Quote Originally Posted by Kazibaby View Post
    Sorry whilst I pick myself up off the floor....I was at Lux last year and it was far from gender balanced. In fact many guys were given free weekender passes on the basis that they turn up to classes in order to help ease the gender imbalance.

Teachers were told to shout if they needed more male leads and crew would "find" men to step in....(I witnessed the Teacher tell the class this! Unfortunately he still did not get the quota he was after).
    LOL.. your post is I'm afraid rather predictable, but thank you anyway for highlighting the positives...

1.) There were a large number of couples booked on LUX who saw it as an opportunity to book with their husbands/partners as a way to encourage them into the dance scene in a luxury environment, as they simply wouldn't go to a Pontins w/e. And even though we were told that many of them would participate in the classes as we were running many foundation level classes in different dance styles that they could participate in, we were concerned that if they didn't participate this would leave us with a gender imbalance. So on this basis we ensured that we had additional guys on hand to help out.

2.) As you quite rightly point out, these guys weren't given 'free' places at all. Instead they were offered delegate packages on the basis that they work on our behalf in the classes to offer the flexibility of enhanced gender balancing on an ad-hoc basis. That's a barter system where someone accepts work on the basis that they receive a benefit - that's not 'free'.

3.) Again as you quite rightly say, we had organized the teachers and crew into a cohesive unit that helped each other out to create the best gender balance we could get at a moments notice.

4.) As has already been pointed out, no matter how well a weekender event is gender balanced you simply can't force people to participate in all the classes. This means in any class you will have a disparity of men to ladies because it just simply depends on who decides to turn up for each class.

5.) And lastly, the biggest problem we had with a gender balance was on the Sunday, because with it being a work day the next day we had no way of knowing how many people would go home early. So this year we are running it on a Bank Holiday weekend to cover as many variables as we can.

So what you have just highlighted is that we have always been happy to forego profit on the basis of running the best weekender we can, that we managed the event to the best of our ability given a large number of variables and that we have learned from our experience of running our first event to ensure the greatest success for all those concerned on our next event. And we have done this by offering a huge range of packages to cater for as many people as possible, by promoting offsite accommodation and by changing the date of the weekend.

So hopefully you can now pick yourself up off the floor because I'm sure it's quite cold down there...

Rocky makes a good point about gender balancing and the fact that it can't control class attendence. I did Chris Bakers excellent Double Trouble class at Camber. I was in a fixed triple thankfully, but it was 15 men on. In the same vein, Mark and Lindseys funky routine was 20 ladies on at southport. However the freestyles felt pretty balanced at both events.

OK, might be a silly question, but is crockery supplied in the apartments?

Yes there is basic crockery supplied, however the cups are only small so if you like a good mug of tea/coffee then suggest you take your own mug with you. Also handy to take corkscrew/bottle opener and sharp knife if you're intending catering for yourself/ves.

DW

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

And if you're not in a club chalet remember to take towels
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Oh I don't know.... it looks like it'll be warm enough to run round in the buff to get dry

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    LOL.. your post is I'm afraid rather predictable, but thank you anyway for highlighting the positives...

.....blah blah
    Typical Rocky response...

I gave the class example to highlight that you, as the organiser, where fully aware of the gender balance issue you had. In fact, by admitting you gave free passes, you are highlighting you knew of this issue in advance! This was not confined to classes; the dance was also unbalanced as well as under attended. This again was not confined to one room but visible in each.
    I also had a chat with one of your “crew” who admitted that too many females where allowed to book in advance before the freeze on female bookings and you guys hadn’t managed to get enough male bookings to counteract this. As was the late offer of accommodation free packages which did not become available until closer to the actual weekend.
    This can all be forgiven as it was your first weekender of this kind however to deny there was an issue is astounding IMHO unless you are saying the rest of the men preferred to spend the night in their rooms... I would have had more respect for your opinion if you had accepted the comment as fair and gave examples of the measures you had put in place to ensure it did not happen again this year. Then maybe, I could tolerate your comment/ attacks on other organisers regarding their policies.
    As for the gender balance issue on the Sunday, I can’t comment, I gave it a miss and headed to Sara White’s for some expressive dancing instead.
    Anyway, to bring this thread back on track, Danny I hope you and your Mum have a fantastic time and hopefully I will meet you on the dance floor...
    Last edited by Kazibaby; 18th-May-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: ..:-)

Quote Originally Posted by daveb9000 View Post
    Dunno but the real question should be: who had the first and best arrangements for supplying crockery? JA or Ceroc?

Absolutely, explaining and answering all your points in detail so that anyone with an open mind can make their own mind up.

I also had a chat with one of your “crew” who admitted that too many females where allowed to book in advance...

LOL! Of course... fictious people can say anything you like! That's called hearsay..

Anyway, to bring this thread back on track, Danny I hope you and your Mum have a fantastic time ...

Me too.
    Last edited by DavidY; 20th-May-2010 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Deleted personal comments

PMSL.... Spot who can't take criticism... You are pathetic Rocky grow up and stop trying to make everthing personal....

My points were valid, be a man (if u can) and accept them and move on. Oh but thanks for the reply, your immaturity has made my day...

ps - I'd pay the £25 if I respected both teachers. So its safe to say I'll never get the pleasure of another of your workshops. gutted...pmsl
    Last edited by Kazibaby; 19th-May-2010 at 06:35 AM.

Blog Entries

LOL! Of course... fictious people can say anything you like! That's called hearsay..
    Oi! Shuddup, Rocky! Personally, I hearsay on this forum!

Here are just some of my favourite examples of arguments based on hearsay:

People have told me that they feel conned (their words not mine) by JA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Come on pal .... aren't you pushing it? One complaint and three for (incl postings on other threads). How about making a comment based on fact rather than blind drubbing of the competition?

I've got an idea ... how about some INFORMED comments based on THOSE WHO WERE ACTUALLY THERE!
    It was - people do talk other than on the Forum you know... there's this new invention called the mobile phone..?
    Actually that's not true, my reaction is based on feedback from people who know them both well and who are either not a member of this forum or who are, but don't have the guts to post what they think.
    If you're talking about the marquee, everyone I spoke to about it hated it, so I'm finding it difficult to see how that's better..
    Can we have some more hyperbole now, please?

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

I gave the class example to highlight that you, as the organiser, where fully aware of the gender balance issue you had. In fact, by admitting you gave free passes, you are highlighting you knew of this issue in advance!
    Wasn't at Lux so can't comment on much of this, but I actually read the above and think Rocky should be applauded. Good to see if an organisor knows that there is a gender imbalance they do something to try to address the issue in advance. In many ways they did just what JA did in limiting bookings to fixed couples or men, although you could easily argue Rocky went a step further in that they didn't take money from men to re-balance it so fair play to him & Val.

Also think it's fair enough for an organisor to ask for any innovative ideas to be PM'ed to them so they can give the suggestions due consideration. I think most ideas floated on here would get shot down in flames by some of the people who like to moan/claim they had the idea first....

Returning to the thread, Danny, I'd suggest you and your mum take sun cream for the weekend as it is to be into the 20's at the weekend and the only place to be on the afternoon's is in the blues room and on the decking.
    Last edited by DavidY; 20th-May-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Fixing quote

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
    Good to see if an organisor knows that there is a gender imbalance they do something to try to address the issue in advance.
    I totally agree Dave. I also don't think there is any loss of face in admitting a gender imbalance issue ....

.)

4.) As has already been pointed out, no matter how well a weekender event is gender balanced you simply can't force people to participate in all the classes. This means in any class you will have a disparity of men to ladies because it just simply depends on who decides to turn up for each class.

Unless you call the class 'grope and grind', always seem to get more men turn out for that at weekenders when it was still politically ok to have them

Mention 'foot work' , I will run a mile like any other man

... your immaturity has made my day...
    ps - I'd pay the £25 if I respected both teachers. So its safe to say I'll never get the pleasure of another of your workshops. gutted...pmsl
    Far be it for me to point out the irony of claiming someone is being immature by highlighting your childish comment at the end..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
    Returning to the thread, Danny, I'd suggest you and your mum take sun cream for the weekend as it is to be into the 20's at the weekend and the only place to be on the afternoon's is in the blues room and on the decking.
    the deck at Southport on a sunny afternoon pure bliss!!!! so many lovely memories of there!! inlcuding dancing with my suitcase at the edge of the floor - having been waylaid by Pretzelmeister on my way to my chalet!!!
    Last edited by Yliander; 19th-May-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What - informative, balanced and objective? A typical Rocky response?

I'm all in favour of criticizing Ceroc / Utopia / Lux / etc. for stuff they do wrong. Which, God knows, is a long list.

But in the area of gender balancing, Ceroc have clearly and consistently made great efforts in this area. They weren't the first, as I think we've shown that JA pioneered this approach, but Ceroc have clearly implemented more detailed policies in this area, and have put a lot of work into it.

Fundamentally, if people want to abuse the system enough, they probably will; and you can't force people to come to classes or freestyles in even numbers. But I think Ceroc and Utopia deserve some credit, and have earned some benefit of the doubt, with this one.

As for the gender balance issue on the Sunday, I can’t comment, I gave it a miss and headed to Sara White’s for some expressive dancing instead.
    You should have come to Berko if you were darn sarf.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Dunno but the real question should be: who had the first and best arrangements for supplying crockery? JA or Ceroc?
    Well as Devilish Whirlish says, the Pontins chalets typically have tiny tea cups (although more recently I've occasionally got better ones).

The first Ceroc weekenders had the brilliant policy of giving everyone a free Ceroc Escape mug - which was a decent size for a proper cuppa at 1am in the morning. So Ceroc win that one pretty easily, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb9000 View Post
    However Ceroc seem to have stopped giving out free mugs, as Devilish Whirlish says, you may want to bring your own.
    Last edited by DavidY; 20th-May-2010 at 06:11 AM.
    Love dance, will travel

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    And if you're not in a club chalet remember to take towels
    Actually, you can hire them for a small fee - £5 dep + £5 for the hire for as many towels as the number of beds in your chalet x 2 (1 hand, 1 small bath towel)

This turned out to be very lucky for me, when, a couple of weeks ago, I gave Limpytink some towels to take up to SP for me..... along with some old towels for her dog

Convo on Friday....

Me - "Toni, you know those towels I asked you to bring with you for me? "

LympyTink - No

Me - "the ones I gave you at the same time as the ones I gave you for the dog"

LympyTink - "Oh, some of those were for SP?"
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information