Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scorch Question

Scorch Question

I'm going to Scorch with my mum and I booked the tickets a while ago for both of us.
    However, we're both making different journeys to Southport, she'll be arriving at around 3-4pm I guess, I'll be arriving at about 9-10pm.

Will she be able to come in, tell them who she is and pick up her chalet key? I just feel bad that she'd have to wait possibly 6 hours for me to arrive when she paid legitimately.

If any Southport crew are reading the people are:
    Daniel Hughes (Ticket booker)
    Carmen Hughes (Mum)

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Scorch Question

I think you should be OK.

Have a look through the "Escape Plan" from the Scorch website.

Amongst other info, it says:
    The keys to the apartments will be given to the people that arrive first from your apartment, so if you arrive after your other guests you can check in and get your wristband, but you will need to find a member of your party before you can access your apartment.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm going to Scorch with my mum and I booked the tickets a while ago for both of us.
    However, we're both making different journeys to Southport, she'll be arriving at around 3-4pm I guess, I'll be arriving at about 9-10pm.

Will she be able to come in, tell them who she is and pick up her chalet key? I just feel bad that she'd have to wait possibly 6 hours for me to arrive when she paid legitimately.

If any Southport crew are reading the people are:
    Daniel Hughes (Ticket booker)
    Carmen Hughes (Mum)
    These places never seem to have any signal.

So try and get your mum to leave the spare key (if there's one) at the check in for you. Other wise you could be wondering around for a while trying to find her.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    These places never seem to have any signal.
    erm. I was going to rely on 3G for 'net access - call me sad, but three days with no Internet hasn't happened to me since the mid 90s.

Or is there wifi?

As another Scorch first-timer, what's the usual approach to mealtimes? Do people self-cater, are there restaurants/cafes on-site, do people walk/drive to nearby establishments or is everybody too busy dancing to eat?

Since I'm going direct from Manchester, I just had to pack for the weekend. I feel such a girl, never packed so many changes of clothing for a weekend before!

No wifi - it's pontins!!

There is a tescos quite near so we tend to stop there on the way in (and generally see loads of dancers doing the same)

There is a fast food place and a 'diner' on site and also a shop (bit like a cost cutter)

People either self cater or eat in groups at each others chalets.

If you are self catering - see Lori's list for the essentials as the chalet comes with very little. (corkscrew being my favorite)

I've have rarely got a signal on site for my phone - but quite enjoy the peace.
    Some people have better luck.

No idea what is off site - never been.

Dancing is the main attraction and food is only necessary to keep going

Hope this helps

Rachel

Thanks for your help guys, it's not my first Southport, have been to about 3-4 already, not including Camber a few times and Skegness with Jive Addiction so quite experienced with it all.
    Just thought that because of gender balancing with Ceroc possibly being wary of women booking phantom men and whatnot - also the little bits of paper you have to write your info on when you get there with 'Group leader' stuff on there, I'd never arrived after anyone else in my group before so wasn't sure what would happen.

Thanks for the help, see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    erm. I was going to rely on 3G for 'net access - call me sad, but three days with no Internet hasn't happened to me since the mid 90s.

Or is there wifi?

As another Scorch first-timer, what's the usual approach to mealtimes? Do people self-cater, are there restaurants/cafes on-site, do people walk/drive to nearby establishments or is everybody too busy dancing to eat?

Since I'm going direct from Manchester, I just had to pack for the weekend. I feel such a girl, never packed so many changes of clothing for a weekend before!
    Which network are you with? When I went with Beo who is on O2, he couldn't get signal all weekened - and a geek without internet access is a very unhappy creature I, on the otherhand, am with t-mobile and my access was fine all weekend. But hopefully you'll be too busy dancing to worry about it!

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    I was going to rely on 3G for 'net access - call me sad, but three days with no Internet hasn't happened to me since the mid 90s.

Or is there wifi?

LOL... well I think you'll find 3 days without internet quite liberating! You really shouldn't have the time to think about it if you're involving yourself in the w/e.

As for food, there is an onsite restaurant and an onsite shop for basics. As has been said, there is also a Tesco's about 5mins away and self catering tends to be the way most people go as you can make that as private or as social as you like by inviting some friends over.

We personally mix and match between eating a bit in the restaurant, self catering and eating out. NANDOS!!! obviously has to feature, which is on a retail park with some other restaurants a 10 min drive down the coast - and there's a fab carvery in the local town that a lot of us hit on the Sunday.

I don't think there are ironing boards and irons in the chalets at SP, but you can borrow one from the onsite shop with the payment of a deposit - so if you don't pack wrinkle free then you've got the option of ironing your smalls when you arrive.

And the end of the day it is Pontins, so it's going to be basic. If however, you find that there is something seriously wrong with your chalet then make sure you come and see the guys on reception, Mike always does whatever he can to personally help out.

Have a great one!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Just thought that because of gender balancing with Ceroc possibly being wary of women booking phantom men
    I think there may be a fair few phantom males in (non) attendance this weekend. Nothing Ceroc (or any organiser - it's not a ceroc specific problem) can do about this beyond insisting all parties check in at the same time and without the incentive that was the GB discount then that idea doesn't fly. Of course, for any men who have not yet booked and who can hold their nerve there's likely to be some very cheap men's places available over the coming days.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    ...for any men who have not yet booked and who can hold their nerve there's likely to be some very cheap men's places available over the coming days.

Except it's sold out... so I suppose you can't get cheaper than not going..

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Except it's sold out... so I suppose you can't get cheaper than not going..
    Yeah, but that just means you can't get a ticket from Ceroc, it doesn't mean you can't get a ticket.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I think there may be a fair few phantom males in (non) attendance this weekend. Nothing Ceroc (or any organiser - it's not a ceroc specific problem) can do about this beyond insisting all parties check in at the same time and without the incentive that was the GB discount then that idea doesn't fly. Of course, for any men who have not yet booked and who can hold their nerve there's likely to be some very cheap men's places available over the coming days.
    I was hoping that by now, after the appalling gender imbalance at Breeze last year, Ceroc would have done something to address this problem. If they havn't it could well be the last Ceroc weekender I attend

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    I was hoping that by now, after the appalling gender imbalance at Breeze last year, Ceroc would have done something to address this problem. If they havn't it could well be the last Ceroc weekender I attend
    Well, to be fair what can they do about women booking chalets of equal gender balance with phantom men? The problem is that the weekenders are relatively cheap so some ladies are happy to spend out the extra cash - it guarantees them entry and they get more space in the chalet.

That's why Mike introduced the gender discounts, but this meant people had to arrive together and prove their gender balance to get the discount. This turned out to be really difficult to adminster and dancers didn't seem to like the restriction it put on arrival times, so it was dropped.

So Ceroc have tried and discussed many options, and don't forget they were the first company AFAIK to champion the gender balance route. The crew is even booked on the basis of at least an equal gender balance, and more often than not, is weighted towards more male crew. But if you have any ideas do please PM me with them.

Just also seen the weather forecast on TV and it looks like it's going to be warm and sunny for the w/e!

don't forget they were the first company AFAIK to champion the gender balance route. The crew is even booked on the basis of at least an equal gender balance, and more often than not, is weighted towards more male crew. But if you have any ideas do please PM me with them.
    Jiveaddiction were the first to offer gender balanced weekends, not Ceroc, and they used to be very successful.

The only company that seem able to pull it off now is Rockbottoms.

Why "PM" you?

Funny that. I didn't find it to be blatantly obvious myself. But then, apart from some daylight time in the bar area, I spent all my time in the COZy room so perhaps the bluesy stuff hasn't the same overwhelming attraction to a majority of the ladies. I was able to sit out when I felt that way without feeling guilty or in any way obliged to help make up numbers.

Jiveaddiction were the first to offer gender balanced weekends, not Ceroc, and they used to be very successful.

The only company that seem able to pull it off now is Rockbottoms.

Why "PM" you?
    Well, I don't know the details about when JA started gender balancing but I do know for a fact that when Ceroc started in the weekender market that there was an awful lot of hoha about their gender balancing policy with threats of legal action from Franco who hated it and therefore implied it was discrimination. So my obvious question is that if JA were already doing it (which is not my recollection) what was all the fuss about? And on that basis why was the gender balance at the JA Metropolis weekend such a shambles then?

Rock Bottoms w/e's are more expensive so the cost for ladies to book phantom men is more prohibitive - simples. And besides that all Utopia events (which includes the LUX w/e) are gender balanced to within 10% max - and the reason for that percentage disparity is that again, on regular events, we do have ladies phantom booking men and also around 10% of people that have paid don't actually turn up on the night. As an example, the last Twisted at the Colosseum with 465 people through the door was only 4 ladies over... which I think you have to agree given the factors that can affect gender balancing, as I've just explained, is pretty amazing and is down to Val's extraordinary management of the booking system as well as the use of our message board.

And as regards PMing me... well, as I've said on here numerous occasions, if anybody has any real issues regarding any event they should always first and foremost contact the organizers direct. Public forum debates will never be a route for organizers to discuss serious issues if the person(s) in question can't be bothered to talk them directly about points of concern.
    Last edited by Rocky; 17th-May-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Well, I don't know the details about when JA started gender balancing but I do know for a fact that when Ceroc started in the weekender market that there was an awful lot of hoha about their gender balancing policy with threats of legal action from Franco who hated it and therefore implied it was discrimination. So my obvious question is that if JA were already doing it (which is not my recollection) what was all the fuss about?
    If you don't know the details then why make the claims you made? JA had 2 events at Southport that were gender balanced before Ceroc's first weekender event at Camber Sands (Storm).

Maybe the fuss re Franco was due to Ceroc using the same Camber Sands venue??

Oh you amended your post while I was composing mine - how annoying

No-one is disputing the gender balancing at Utopia events here so why bring it up?

If you don't know the details then why make the claims you made? JA had 2 events at Southport that were gender balanced before Ceroc's first weekender event at Camber Sands (Storm).

Maybe the fuss re Franco was due to Ceroc using the same Camber Sands venue??
    You'll note I used the term AFAIK which means 'As Far As I Know' - so it wasn't a claim of absolute certainty. However, you are talking about remembering something that would have happened 5 years ago in 2005 (as Ceroc started in March 2006). Are you sure that JA didn't start after the first Ceroc weekender? Were you involved in JA's weekenders as an organizer then?

And maybe it was because of Franco and Camber - but as I've said, if it was already established in the market then why was there such a discussion about it if JA were already doing it?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rocky is correct in that:
    Well, to be fair what can they do about women booking chalets of equal gender balance with phantom men? The problem is that the weekenders are relatively cheap so some ladies are happy to spend out the extra cash - it guarantees them entry and they get more space in the chalet.
    Short of requiring attendees to send off photo ID, spot-checking women's apartments to see if the phantom men have arrived, or similarly-draconian measures, what can you do?

Yes, you can try some sort of price-incentive, but Ceroc have already tried that:
    That's why Mike introduced the gender discounts, but this meant people had to arrive together and prove their gender balance to get the discount. This turned out to be really difficult to adminster and dancers didn't seem to like the restriction it put on arrival times, so it was dropped.
    Ceroc have clearly put a lot of effort into trying to attempt gender-balancing. Short of not providing mixed-gender tickets, I don't know if there's any real solution.

But if more people are cheating and abusing the system, then it seems that we should blame the cheats more than the system.

So Ceroc have tried and discussed many options, and don't forget they were the first company AFAIK to champion the gender balance route.
    No, JA were earlier.

But yes, Franco did make a big song-and-dance about it at the time.

Have a look at the "Gender control at ticketed events: legal?" thread for a discussion we had then.

Thread Information