Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Completely Bursar

Going Completely Bursar

After some discussion with philsmove.......

Meant to be an homage and discussion of Sir Terence David John Pratchett (possibly the funniest author at the moment and indeed for the last 25+ years), and the Discworld series. I'm not sure how to start this off. So I will begin like this.....

I have just finished "Unseen Academicals." I did enjoy it, but perhaps not his best.

I do like the stories involving the "Watch."

I'm not sure about Tiffany Aching. I don't find them very funny and I think Terry has got her character wrong. she is supposed to be 9 in the first book, but talks like a 40 year old

Re: Going Completely Bursar

Thief of Time is probably his best, although I have a soft spot for Soul Music (but most of my friends don't).

Unseen wasn't great, but I am tempted by Sky's live-action version of Going Postal.

Tiffany fits superbly into the mythology of witches. Talking older than she is works because of her witchcraft (and is also influenced by Susan, granddaughter of Death, another magical older-than-her-years girl). Although my exposure to 9 year old girls has been limited in the past couple of decades I do know one that in adult company does demonstrate fascinatingly adult views and mannerisms. It's only when tired or with other children that she becomes a child again.

Cederic

I also liked Thief of Time and Soul Music. And like you am looking forward to Going Postal. Do you know when it is be broadcast?

I will of course read the next Tiffany story which I believe is out soon, but the series remains my least favourite. I hope he soon writes another Watch story. am an especially big fan of Vimes, Colon, Nobby et all.

Has anyone listened to the audio books. I do like them and have listened to each at least 4 times. But I think that Nigel Planer reads better than Stephen Briggs IMHO.

If I am introducing someone to Pratchett though I start them with Pyramids
    Last edited by Prian; 4th-May-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Additional

My personal favourite is Making Money

I know many fans prefer Going Postal, l but I think it depends on which you read first, I read Making Money first

"Mr. Lipwig had been in trouble, but it seemed to Igor that the trouble hit Mr. Lipwig like a big wave hitting a flotilla of ducks. Afterward, there was no wave but there was still a lot of duck."

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    My personal favourite is Making Money

I know many fans prefer Going Postal, l but I think it depends on which you read first, I read Making Money first
    I wonder if those marvelous people at sky will make "Making Money" next as a follow up to "Going Postal."

I heard it said that there is a problem with making the Watch books into film and that is Carrot. In Guards! Guards! it is inferred that he is only about 16 or 17, with bright ginger hair and built like a brick privy or Arnie.
    Who would play him. Not many people fit that description and not at that age.

I've only read one - a Discworld one about the Corporal Carrot. I'd assumed they were really a young-blokey sort of novel but I was incredibly impressed by the sheer creativity of the man and will certainly be reading more.
    I did find the narrative slightly difficult to plough through - i was reading it in episodes at someone else's house and could never remember where I'd got up to and there didn't seem to be many markers to help me pick it up. So I guess that means not much character development but a really richly woven episodic structure. It took a long, long time to get to the crux of the plot by means of increasingly obvious clues but the real joy was the inventiveness of character and incident along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    I heard it said that there is a problem with making the Watch books into film and that is Carrot. In Guards! Guards! it is inferred that he is only about 16 or 17, with bright ginger hair and built like a brick privy or Arnie.
    Who would play him. Not many people fit that description and not at that age.
    Easy enough to give someone ginger hair.

Thief of Time is one of the best. Susan is one of his best characters. Wryd Sisters is a close second though. Anything with a Weatherwax and an Ogg in it.

Oh, haven't read Making Money - must get that one.

Yeah, like Thief of Time and Soul Music, Susan is a great character, the wizards are fun, but I think I like the Watch stories best...hmmm - fav would probably be Night Watch.

I see this thread has been moved

are Mr. Tulip and Mr. Pin going to be moderators

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I see this thread has been moved

are Mr. Tulip and Mr. Pin going to be moderators
    Or perhaps Mr Gryle.

But if I was in the UK now I would perhaps be voting for Vetinari as PM. Ankh Morpork indeed has one man one vote. Vetinari is the man and he has the vote.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-amoswolfe.png

Or perhaps Mr Gryle.

But if I was in the UK now I would perhaps be voting for Vetinari as PM. Ankh Morpork indeed has one man one vote. Vetinari is the man and he has the vote.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-amoswolfe.png
    Wish I had that option... At least we would know where we stood..

I got introduced to the Discworld through Guards Guards and would probably send people I was introducing back to start there, but once introduced I read in whatever order the library could provide them... (I have all but Nation and Unseen Academicals now, neither of which I have read yet, so no spoilers please! )

My T Pratchett's were the only entire series to come with me when I moved into my flat.. I go and visit some books by other authors at my parent's, but there is nothing quite like Ankh Morpork to cheer you up if you are looking at 3am from the wrong direction!

Cheers WT

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    (I have all but Nation ...
    I did not like and did not finish Nation

Am just reading it now. Will let my views be known in a day or two

having read all of the discworld novels bar nation i love Sir terrance's books and eagerly await the next one to hit the shelves which is normally bought as a Christmas or birthday present from Barbs (my wife)

my opinion is if you have never read a discworld book you should start with the colour of magic as this was the first one and sets the scene

My favourite well i actually started with Soul Music and read it from cover to cover on when i was travelling to Sydney for a job i used to do that got me hooked so i guess it is my favourite

Have given up on Nation. Not a good effort by Terry.

Don't know if anyone has noticed but in Colour of Magic, Death actually kills people or appears to and certainly encourages people to die. But in later books is adamant that he does not kill.

A small inconsistency perhaps?

Have given up on Nation. ?
    Nice to know it's just me

But in later books is adamant that he does not kill.

Death does seem to mellow with age

Have given up on Nation. Not a good effort by Terry.

Don't know if anyone has noticed but in Colour of Magic, Death actually kills people or appears to and certainly encourages people to die. But in later books is adamant that he does not kill.

A small inconsistency perhaps?
    Considering how many books Sir T has written, a few inconsistencies are inevitable. I think he does better than most at eliminating them It might be that as a writer gets to know a character better, they basically tell the writer how to write their own stories.

I am now imagining Vimes peering over Sir T's shoulder telling him how to write about fighting Ankh Morpork street style.

WT

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    I am now imagining Vimes peering over Sir T's shoulder telling him how to write about fighting Ankh Morpork street style.

WT

Speaking of which, I hope he does another Vimes/Watch book soon
    Last edited by Prian; 19th-May-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Additional

Mort was my first and still my favourite.

Didn't like Nation.

Me and DTS fight over them all - I have yet to finish Unseen Ac.

Rachel
    z

Thread Information