Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teachers Tips

Teachers Tips

These are some of the more fun tips that were used when I was a beginner.

1. Suggesting to the ladies who were not keen on doing a shoulder slide properly that they took the opportunity to wipe their hands dry on the man's shirt.

2. Telling the men leading that for two hours they are allowed to lead and be "in charge" and to make the most of it. Similarly to the ladies that it is only for two hours and to please let the men lead. After 10.30 normal rules apply.

3. Making noises. Particular ones I remember were for the man's spin, pretending the hand hold was a bridge and the spare hand was a car and to make appropriate car noises. The other was saying weeeee as the ladies spin.

4. Blindfolding those ladies that found following difficult. This is one that I employed in my TAXI class for 3 years. It sounds a little kinky I suppose but that was only the case when I brought out the handcuffs.

5. When asked how style is learned, which is always a hard one. The general response was that style is what one creates for oneself as one progresses. But as a guideline "doing silly things" was a way to start. By this it was meant, for example, when doing the train that you wave your spare hand or click your fingers. Also when leading it was common for men to be told to stamp when flick spinning their partner. I know a few of the men on this forum that do this with great gusto, including me.

As daft as some of these sound, they actually did work. I don't know if any of these are still employed. Or does anyone have any others that have used or experienced.

Re: Teachers Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    Also when leading it was common for men to be told to stamp when flick spinning their partner.
    Oh dear good glory please don't do this. Not only does it ring out across the dancefloor and put the dancers off, and make the non-dancers spray their mouthful of drink across the room (or the person in front of them), but it doesn't actually add anything at all to the dance. We had a phantom stamper for a while who made everyone jump a few times per night when this loud bang occurred at random (bear in mind we live in Belfast...!), but I think enough people gave him evils that he stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    Oh dear good glory please don't do this. Not only does it ring out across the dancefloor and put the dancers off, and make the non-dancers spray their mouthful of drink across the room (or the person in front of them), but it doesn't actually add anything at all to the dance. We had a phantom stamper for a while who made everyone jump a few times per night when this loud bang occurred at random (bear in mind we live in Belfast...!), but I think enough people gave him evils that he stopped.
    I actually learned to intermediate at a venue that was carpeted (odd I know). But it was an official Ceroc venue. And so the stamping was somewhat muted and pointless. I did it nonetheless and it kind of carried on.

I do know what you mean about loud stamping being annoying. There is a regular contributor on here who is or was an eager stamper.

In my defence I wasn't aware of being particularly loud.

Oh dear good glory please don't do this.

It's just soooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying!!!!!!

If it's a hung parliament at the next election, I'm thinking of throwing my hat into the ring for Prime Minister. When I win, which given the competition is a safe bet, the first law I'll change is that all foot stampers will be rounded up in a field and shot dead.

Next on my list...

Smokers
    Chewers
    Stinkers
    Mid-dance verbal instructors
    Frotters
    Lifters
    Droppers
    Floor Hogs

Sorry Prian...off topic I know, but worth a mention IMO.

Blog Entries

When I hear teachers give tips such as making noises & other similarly hilarious things, I always find myself waiting for "and for the grown-ups..."; but it never comes.

Commercial Operator

Oh dear good glory please don't do this. Not only does it ring out across the dancefloor and put the dancers off, and make the non-dancers spray their mouthful of drink across the room (or the person in front of them), but it doesn't actually add anything at all to the dance.
    IIRC, back in .... '93? '94? Ceroc Southampton lost a venue because (supposedly) of this. Great venue too, wonderful dancefloor in a hotel, only it was right above the hotel restaurant, and the diners weren't too happy about all the unison stamping noises coming from above them. There may have been other reasons for the move, but this was what I was told at the time.

If memory serves, the stamping wasn't just advocated for spins, but also for things like the arm jive (a firm favourite back then) - and we were also encouraged to make as much noise as possible, so one can sympathise with the hotel's reaction to the matter.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    If it's a hung parliament at the next election, I'm thinking of throwing my hat into the ring for Prime Minister.
    Next on my list...

Smokers
    Chewers
    Stinkers
    Mid-dance verbal instructors
    Frotters
    Lifters
    Droppers
    Floor Hogs
    Vote for DT!

Mid dance verbal instructors

I had one of those on Sunday, this is how it went.... "when I turn around and kneel down, you pull me up by the chin, in a 'sexy' way..... Okay??"

Gosh, I'd have never have thought of THAT
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    When I hear teachers give tips such as making noises & other similarly hilarious things, I always find myself waiting for "and for the grown-ups..."; but it never comes.
    I believe the theory behind making noises was simply to make ones partner laugh. If they laugh, then they are enjoying and if they enjoy they will dance with you again. I did make some noises but that was probably a subconscious attempt to divert attention from my dancing.

Do teachers though still give such tips?

What are frotters and floor hogs?

I believe the theory behind making noises was simply to make ones partner laugh. If they laugh, then they are enjoying and if they enjoy they will dance with you again. I did make some noises but that was probably a subconscious attempt to divert attention from my dancing.

There's a big difference between laughing with you and laughing at you

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I had one of those on Sunday, this is how it went.... "when I turn around and kneel down, you pull me up by the chin, in a 'sexy' way..... Okay??"

Gosh, I'd have never have thought of THAT
    Hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gamebird View Post
    There's a big difference between laughing with you and laughing at you

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    "when I turn around and kneel down, you pull me up by the chin, in a 'sexy' way..... Okay??"

Oh my God, that's so funny. How did you keep a straight face?

When someone I'm dancing with does something embarrassing like that, I do tend to laugh and I'm probably giving the wrong signals as they think I'm laughing with enjoyment...I'm not.

Mick, the bloke who runs Just Jivin' in Cheshunt encourages everyone to shout "YOYO", when you're doing a yoyo. It's like some kind of tourettes for him, he just can't help himself shouting at the top of his voice "YOYO!!" when one is taught in the lesson.

Frotters are blokes or women who rub themselves up against you like a dog on heat while dancing. Frotters think you're being all sexy in a "blues room" kinda way, but they're not, they're just pervy old farts who take advantage in a close body to body situation.

Floor hogs are dancers who have no regards for anyone else on the dance floor and do big exaggerated moves taking up far too much space and other dancers avoid getting in their space as they're likely to get a slap round the face or a toe in the gob.

Frotters are blokes or women who rub themselves up against you like a dog on heat while dancing. Frotters think you're being all sexy in a "blues room" kinda way, but they're not, they're just pervy old farts who take advantage in a close body to body situation.
    There used to be a bloke in London known to many of the girls as "Sleazy Bob." He was literally about 5ft 2" and middle aged. He danced mainly in Fulham, and used to PROWL the dancefloor looking for beginners. I'd never seen someone prowl till I saw him. He only danced with beginners and shall we say used to "teach" them moves. Sometimes he would take them to a darkened corner. Ughhh!!!

Anyway when I found out about him I tried in vain to have him expelled. The problem I was told by the management was that in order to expel him there needed to be several complaints from his partners. Because they were beginners they didn't complain they just never came back.

People (mainly men), thought it odd that I would care. I cared for three reason. Firstly the obvious that it is disgusting and really not on. Secondly it means, once she leaves, that is one less potential dance partner for me. And thirdly if I am the next person to dance with her after he has and I do the legit form of a move that he did, she may not see the difference and think I'm a perve too.

I did try entrapment (getting a couple of girls from other venues to dance with him and then complain - I think I was justified), but got nowhere. He was eventually asked by some venues to leave. But he was still around in 2005. Don't know about now.
    Last edited by Prian; 5th-May-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: addition

Blog Entries

If it's a hung parliament at the next election, I'm thinking of throwing my hat into the ring for Prime Minister. When I win, which given the competition is a safe bet, the first law I'll change is that all foot stampers will be rounded up in a field and shot dead.
    Hehe! I just realised that I stomped yesterday whilst dancing with you! I revel in my pure evil! Bwaaahaaaahaaaa, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Hehe! I just realised that I stomped yesterday whilst dancing with you! I revel in my pure evil! Bwaaahaaaahaaaa, etc.
    That was more of a river dance musical multipal foot tappy thingy. I was thinking more of the type of foot stamp that is just one big loud "look at me, I'm such a sexy dominant stoat of a man" stamp that makes everyone in the room turn round and look because they think some drunk numpty has hit the deck doing a "Triple Spin Donkey Drop"

I am definitely a foot tapper type stamper than a "hey, look at me" type stomper.

Floor hogs are dancers who have no regards for anyone else on the dance floor and do big exaggerated moves taking up far too much space and other dancers avoid getting in their space as they're likely to get a slap round the face or a toe in the gob.
    I just hope I'm not that bad I do know I'm fairly bad at wiggles when being held in close hold with the guy behind me

Someone please tell me if I get anywhere near this. I'd hate to be told off or banned from the dance floor
    WT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    I just hope I'm not that bad I do know I'm fairly bad at wiggles when being held in close hold with the guy behind me

Someone please tell me if I get anywhere near this. I'd hate to be told off or banned from the dance floor
    WT
    Lets face it WT - can you ever imagine you wiggling in front of a guy and him telling you " well actually i dont like that " .... no, me neither

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post

WT
    WT the type of thing being referring to isn't the occaisional wiggle in closed hold, it's "my dog is over due for an appointment for the snip" kind of thing.

Put it this way - if your partner looks in pain, is pushing you away, subsequently spends large portions of the dance leading you with arms which are fully extended away from you, avoids you like the plague after the dance, and you catch them repeatedly muttering to their pals while looking/pointing at you with a scared look on their face, then you need to worry.

Needless to say this compeltely fails to pick up cases where a perve dances with a perve...

Thread Information