Thread: The importence of good gramer and spilling

The importence of good gramer and spilling

Yup ... the title was done to prove a point. Being from the old school, I still feel that there are certain tenets of English that should be followed. Having seen a few reports a work that showed a total disregard for punctuation I’ve been a somewhat on my guard … especially given my ineptitude at typing.

HOWEVER, I’ve always thought that special attention should be given by promoters to their marketing blurb as I feel how can you trust an organiser if they can’t even get their words right …… and so I refer you to the following advert for the Blackpool champs. Prizes for those who can spot the most mistakes?

Re: The importence of good gramer and spilling

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Yup ... the title was done to prove a point. Being from the old school, I still feel that there are certain tenets of English that should be followed. Having seen a few reports a work that showed a total disregard for punctuation I’ve been a somewhat on my guard … especially given my ineptitude at typing.
    I know you're probably just following the internet rule that any post criticising spelling or grammer must itself contain at least one error itself, but I did expect better...

To be honest, I didn't think the advert was that bad - the most jarring bit is the lack of capitals in "blackpool mj champs", but I assumed that was intentional (a homage to ee cummings, perhaps?).

Commercial Operator

and so I refer you to the following advert for the Blackpool champs. Prizes for those who can spot the most mistakes?
    Tilting at windmills, Gus?

But your pointless thread does seem to have an, unintentional, point. At least it does to me. It raises the question, "what is the gossip regarding the events that led to the demise of A Chance to Dance?" In case nobody asks, C2D were the company that got ethical MJ Competitions started after LeJive disappeared in a cloud of cheating.

And then C2D were gone, some of the directors have teamed up with John A-H and other C2D directors are out in the cold.

Here is a question that requires a yes or no answer;

Would C2D still be there if the new Blackpool Champs weren't?

If the answer is 'yes' you can look at who is part of the new company and guess the rest

But any criticism and you get threatened with legal action. Something to hide?

HOWEVER, I’ve always thought that special attention should be given by promoters to their marketing blurb as I feel how can you trust an organiser if they can’t even get their words right …… and so I refer you to the following advert for the Blackpool champs. Prizes for those who can spot the most mistakes?
    I agree with you Gus.

May I point a few things with regard to your post:

1. The word 'yup' is American slang - and perhaps 'yes' is more appropriate.

2. The series of punctuation marks ('....') following 'yup' are unnecessary. Instead, a comma will suffice.

3. Instead of: 'the title was done' perhaps 'written' is better.

4. I am not sure you are able to 'prove' a point through this post. Perhaps 'make a point' is more suitable.

5. I recommend that 'old school' is placed between single quotation marks to emphasise the concept of the English tradition to which you refer.

6. The word 'that' is extraneous.

7. The second sentence in your post missed the letter 't' from the word 'at'.

8. The second sentence would be improved by including a comma after the word 'punctuation'.

9. In the second sentence, again there is use of '....' instead of a more 'old school' type punctuation mark.

10. The second paragraph begins with 'HOWEVER'. Maybe 'However' would be sufficient.

11. The clause: 'to their marketing blurb as I feel how can you trust' does not scan well. This is perhaps not the best way to express your sentiment. At minimum, I would suggest punctuating it with a question mark (preceded by a colon after 'feel').

12. Your final sentence does not require a question mark.

So, rewriting your post in 'old school' English, I would suggest something like this:

Yes, the title was written to make a point. Being from the 'old school', I still feel there are certain tenets of English that should be followed. Having seen a few reports at work that showed a total disregard for punctuation, I’ve been somewhat on my guard (especially given my ineptitude at typing).

However, I’ve always thought that special attention should be given by promoters to their marketing blurb, as I feel: how can you trust an organiser if they can’t even get their words right? I refer you to the following advert for the Blackpool champs. Prizes for those who can spot the most mistakes.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

It's surprising they claim to offer the "most sort after title in modern jive" when they admit it is the 1st year of the "NEW Blackpool MJ Champs".

Keep the association with achancetodance whilst denying it...is this called having your cake and eating it too ?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

HOWEVER, I’ve always thought that special attention should be given by promoters to their marketing blurb as I feel how can you trust an organiser if they can’t even get their words right
    Of course, i should add - i don't know any of the people involved in achancetodance or this new venture at all (other than by sight/name) but I do agree with Gus on this point. It doesn't look good when people run a major event like this and don't present it very well. The competition is in June, its a new venture, and there website is right out of 1996 style-wise, contains loads of mistakes or misses things out entirely. e.g. Judge introductions here look at Phil Webbs entry. That's right, there isn't one. Just his name. There are loads of nice things to say about Phil, so where are they ? And Sue Hensons entry on that page is a spelling masterclass...

"Sue started her danceing career in Ballet at the age of 3 [and is] one of Modern Jives most expeirienced dancer (singular?), she is known for her gracefull style of dance giving off an abundance of flair. She has taught accross the UK and Europe for many Jive organisations. Sue has now been involved with running the largest most prestigious Modern Jive competition for 10 years, her expeirience and stature has ment she has been invited to be head judge at (the?) Britrock and LeRoc competitions and has judged at Ceroc Scotland (competition?) and the Ceroc Champs."

If you want to complain about the website directly , as the site says "Contact us via email or phane"

Now I am neither biased or political and as there is no other competition of the same size and scope it seems a shame that the new venture is not, from external appearances, run very well. Lets hope the people who do go in June only have a positive experience.
    "

There is little point in complaining to Gus about his spelling, it has always been awful. But a public forum post and the official blurb for the relaunch of a major UK competition are surely held to different standards.
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 3rd-May-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Spelling and grammar are important.

This is because bad spelling and bad grammar will, at best, force the reader to expend greater effort and time in understanding the writer's meaning. At worst, the meaning can become obscured so that there is a misunderstanding.

Leet and so forth are best viewed as dialects or slang; elements may be absorbed into regular English but they don't undermine the need for ordinary rules of communication.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    I agree with you Gus.

May I point a few things with regard to your post:

{Lesson in proper English}

[/B]
    What can I say. The years away from the classroom have not been kind and my standards have clearly slipped. When I've got more than 5 minutes I will enjoy reading your comments in depth and taking on some learning points. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Tilting at windmills, Gus?

But your pointless thread does seem to have an, unintentional, point.
    ....and I love you too Andy. I thought it was a worthwhile distraction at the time ... and contrary to DS's piont I thought the UK-Jive event text was far from good english ... even by my low standards...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    : [RANT]

If the answer is 'yes' you can look at who is part of the new company and guess the rest

But any criticism and you get threatened with legal action. Something to hide?
    Come on Andy ... stop beating around the bush. What are you really angry about? MUST be worth a new thread

Commercial Operator

What can I say. The years away from the classroom have not been kind and my standards have clearly slipped.
    At least you've kept your looks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    the "most sort after title in modern jive"
    Presumably everyone lines up in alphabetical order?

...AND another thing ...starts to wind up to both rant AND take his own thread off topic ..... do you need to sell your house to affodr to compete these days. I'm sure someone can provide the figures but the cost of entry and competing over the last 7 years or so seems to vastly outstrip inflation. AM I right?

...AND another thing ...starts to wind up to both rant AND take his own thread off topic ..... do you need to sell your house to affodr to compete these days. I'm sure someone can provide the figures but the cost of entry and competing over the last 7 years or so seems to vastly outstrip inflation. AM I right?
    It's not just the cost of entry; once you've remortgaged your house to get in, there're a lot of other expenses if the organisers or venue operators apply restrictions:

NO photography
    NO video
    NO drinks
    NO food

I realise they need to make a profit, but isn't it possible to do that off the entry fees alone?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Presumably everyone lines up in alphabetical order?
    or they have a magical hat to pick which group you are in ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    and contrary to DS's piont I thought the UK-Jive event text was far from good english
    How is agreeing with me contrary to my point ?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    NO photography
    NO video
    NO drinks
    NO food
    Sell your camera and you can afford to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    It's not just the cost of entry; once you've remortgaged your house to get in, there're a lot of other expenses if the organisers or venue operators apply restrictions:

NO photography
    NO video
    NO drinks
    NO food

I realise they need to make a profit, but isn't it possible to do that off the entry fees alone?
    I realise its my second nudity suggestion of the day but why not take a stand and do

NO costume or clothes.

Is there anything in the rules that say you need them?

I'd love to see the faces when you throw off your blankets (got to keep warm with those fans) and then dance. Would they stop it or just let it go on?

Has anyone ever challenged the "no video or photography" rules? Many people quote either the Human Rights Act or the Data Protection Act in support of the ban and Joe Public usually accepts that must be the case. But neither of these actually provide statutory authority. People are allowed to take photos 'for the family album' (or taken in the course of ordinary family activities) without state intervention. There is a caveat that others can object to having their (or their children's) photos taken but one group does not get to exercise it's right at the expense of the other. The dissenting party can remove themselves or their children, thereby enabling both parties to exercise it's rights under the law. Similarly, the DPA doesn't ban taking photographs. So you can take photos of your kids at the pool, in the park, in the school play, without breaking any laws. You'll probably have to be prepared for an argument though!

Quote Originally Posted by crystaltips View Post
    Has anyone ever challenged the "no video or photography" rules? !
    If you are on private property then it seems reasonable that you obey the rules of the owner or the personal hiring the venue

Quote Originally Posted by crystaltips View Post
    . Similarly, the DPA doesn't ban taking photographs. !
    the fact that something is not banned does mean its permitted, legal or even acceptable

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    the fact that something is not banned does mean its permitted, legal or even acceptable
    does mean? does not mean, I think you were going for.

but i would think that if it was banned it would be illegal, so it follows that if it is not banned by the DPA it IS legal, that being all about the interpretation of the law. It may not be permitted in certain areas (eg outside 10 Downing Street) but that's probably on a case by case basis.

Thread Information