Thread: Smokin'

Smokin'

I am, I'm sorry to say, a smoker. I must admit that I find it a welcome counter to all the exercise when I am at a Ceroc evening (as is the pint afterward). It is also (in Winter), a good excuse to cool down outside.

When I began Ceroc almost all the teachers and regular demonstrators (including James and Janie Cronin), were smokers. Later, when Ceroc decided to use Taxis, they all smoked too.

Wondering what percentage of Dancers smoke. And to what extent it still permeates the teachers and Taxis????

Re: Smokin'

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    Wondering what percentage of Dancers smoke.
    Nope! Filthy habit!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    I am, I'm sorry to say, a smoker. I must admit that I find it a welcome counter to all the exercise when I am at a Ceroc evening ...a good excuse to cool down outside.
    Problem with that is that when you come back inside and resume dancing, any non-smoking lady, or any non-smoker you happen to get close to will be gagging from the reek of fag smoke on your clothes, hands and breath. Even trying to mask it with chewing gum, mints and body spray/after shave doesn't help....it just makes a mixture of all of those smells....and fags.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Nope! Filthy habit!!

Problem with that is that when you come back inside and resume dancing, any non-smoking lady, or any non-smoker you happen to get close to will be gagging from the reek of fag smoke on your clothes, hands and breath. Even trying to mask it with chewing gum, mints and body spray/after shave doesn't help....it just makes a mixture of all of those smells....and fags.

Always astounds me how some people don't realise how bad it actually smells when you're having to dance with a smoker (similarly with heavy drinkers breathing over you, or just generally smelly people who don't notice that they're maybe not the most pleasant smelling people).

Taxis in theory shouldn't be smoking while on duty - according to the crib sheets we get given. None of the teachers in our area are smokers, and only know of one taxi who smokes.

Smoking and B.O. are both reasons I would avoid dancing with someone. I wouldn't necessarily say no but I certainly wouldn't go askin them! Same goes for the leery beery tho thankfully we don't seem to get much of them round here. I hate the 'smell transfer' too, I always want to run to the ladies immediately after and wash my hands. Neither the teacher at our local class nor any of the taxis smoke and overall, I don't think there are many people who do.

Taxis in theory shouldn't be smoking while on duty - according to the crib sheets we get given. None of the teachers in our area are smokers, and only know of one taxi who smokes.

In those days of course there were no "crib sheets." Taxis were in their infancy so I guess the rules were compiled as they went along. And Taxis were off duty for the last half an hour.
    Last edited by Lory; 3rd-May-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

I take your points about the smell of smoke and smells in general. I agree as smokers that we generally don't consider the effect of others that we dance with. But I have not, that I can remember, ever been refused a dance having danced with that person. They are either extremely tolerant or I'm just too good of a dancer.

But, and without trying to defend us, as has been mentioned there are some other (to my mind as a smoker), some other terrible aromas. Perfume and B.O. I don't mind sweat so much as that is almost unavoidable, but some of the preventions attempted are not deodorants.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've lost count the amount of times, that 'MY' hands have ended up smelling like a smokers, just from dancing with someone who's been smoking.

If you have to have a fag, then at least wash your hands after, as 'YOU' might not be able to smell it but believe me, ALL non smokers will and 99% won't like it
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Always astounds me how some people don't realise how bad it actually smells when you're having to dance with a smoker (similarly with heavy drinkers breathing over you, or just generally smelly people who don't notice that they're maybe not the most pleasant smelling people).
    I do not smoke but I do have a number of drinks at weekenders which is another reason why I always carry mints in my dance bag.

Down here (south coast central) my feeling is that fewer than 10% (or less than 10%, take your pick) smoke on a dance evening. There may be more smokers than that but if so they are refraining.

Thread Information