Thread: One Song Challenge

One Song Challenge

I remember a conversation I had with several dancers many years ago, including David Franklin and Viktor. We were interested in knowing how hard or easy it would to dance to an average length MJ song say 3mins without repeating a single move with the exception of simple hand changes. And to a certain extent how many moves would be required and if the average man/lead could remember them all.

It was of course one of those things that was discussed but never attempted.

Has anyone tried it or think it might be fun to give it a go.

Re: One Song Challenge

This is a challenge I set myself often, to get through a dance without repeating a move - I have to say I've managed it once, and it was a terrific dance. I was in 'the zone' having warmed up (it can take me a few dances to remember even some of my favourite moves!) and my partner for the track was a pleasure to dance with, just following where I was leading them.

Commercial Operator

I have the dance memory of a goldfish. I don't know what move I did last. I know what move I'm currently doing and I know what move is coming next. And I don't think my partner remembers my moves either. This forgetfulness means every dance I do contains no repetition.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    every dance I do contains no repetition.
    But to continue to paraphrase just a minute, I dare say there is some hestitation and in your case plenty of deviation

I had my third beginners lesson as a leader last night so I should now know about 12 moves. I find though that I can only ever remember the last 4 moves I've learnt, the ones from previous weeks just refuse to stay in my brain once a new lot goes in.

The "One Song Challenge" is something I don't think I'll ever master, but the follower in me says it's quality not quantity so I won't be losing any sleep over it.

OMG what a nightmare this "one song challenge" would be, I can't imagine it would be enjoyable for either lead or follow. I'm with Andy on this one, I'd never be able to remember the moves I'd already done and honestly don't think I know how to lead enough moves to get through a minute of a song.

I'll stick to my handful of moves, little concentration and relaxed dancing if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    I'll stick to my handful of moves, little concentration and relaxed dancing if you don't mind.
    That's fine with me

And I'm with DT - quality not quantity

Don't get me wrong I am thoroughly with everyone on this. I just think as a one off it might be fun to try.

Speaking for myself I know that I have learned or rather been taught almost all the 800 or so official Ceroc moves, how many can I remember, not many. Like most leads I have my faves that I do in with every partner. I have often seen a couple do a move, thought "oh yes that one, I like that, must remember to do it," and 5mins later when dancing completely forget and come off the dance floor kicking myself.

I also find that that when I get taught a new move during a class, depending on how quickly I get to grips with it, depends on how much I practice it in freestyle and therefore to what extent I remember it subsequently incorporate it.

I've spent years trying to impress the girls a Ceroc with the size to my repertoire and my abilities to make it grow. But as DT and others here have said, along with a regular partner of mine it's not he size of the repertoire that counts but how you use it.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    But as DT and others here have said, along with a regular partner of mine it's not he size of the repertoire that counts but how you use it.
    I think where you use it matters as well. Between the isles in Tesco and you're in all sorts of trouble - not that I've done that ...

.. well, not for a second time

I think where you use it matters as well. Between the isles in Tesco and you're in all sorts of trouble - not that I've done that ...

Wow, that's a really big tesco's. Do you need your own boat or do they give you one to row around in.

We only have aisles at ours

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    Wow, that's a really big tesco's. Do you need your own boat or do they give you one to row around in.

We only have aisles at ours
    The Isles of Tesco are off the French coast. You can dance between them, but only on Spring tides.

Commercial Operator

The Isles of Tesco are off the French coast. You can dance between them, but only on Spring tides.
    Are you sure you aren't getting confused with Marks & Spencer? or is St Michael's mount different again?

(I'll get my coat ........)

Tesco with Isles... it's only a matter of time...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8638714.stm

I once did it when attending the Musical Buddy in London, at the back in the dark. The ushers wanted everyone else in the theatre to do it to so they asked my g/f and I to go to the front of the auditorium in front of the stage so that everyone could see us doing it. They certainly saw the size of my repertoire then. In fact some of the cast asked me how I and where I'd got it from.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    Are you sure you aren't getting confused with Marks & Spencer? or is St Michael's mount different again?

(I'll get my coat ........)
    I could be confusing the two. Is St Michael's part of the Asdores?

I simply can't imagine such a mechanistic approach to dancing.

It's the same state of mind as running through an art gallery so that you can see all the pictures in the shortest possible time.

Maybe the subject came up when Prian was unutterably bored...

I don't think of it as mechanistic as such being that it would only be for one song

But it is possible that I was very bored. Though as I recall it actually arose because I felt annoyed with myself that I wasn't incorporating as many moves as I had learned into my dancing. And was basically doing very similar moves no matter who I danced with. I put this to Viktor whose array of moves is staggering. He told me not to worry that even he had his favourite moves and if one watched him enough one would see these repeated often. I think it was then that I may have suggested if it might be fun or possible to do a whole song without repeating a move.

:shrug: I don't think I can really define the start or end of a move, therefore I don't think there would be too many repetitions of moves in my dancing... there may be a few repetitions of movements, but I doubt you would notice too much.

A single track without repeating is fairly common for me, it's more of a challenge to go a whole evening without repeating: have not managed that yet.

One note of caution - I do deliberately put the same moves in two or three or four times when dancing with beginners: it gives a sense of security and a chance for them to 'recover' and slip into a comfort zone after doing something they are not used to.
    Keep doing different things all the time and most inexperienced dancers will get lost and feel like they are a prop rather than a partner (best case) or (worst case) just feel like they cannot dance.

It also makes sense musically to repeat things: that's why there are choruses and why verses follow a repetitive structure. Transferring this into your dancing is one of the elements in good musicality.

I agree gadget.

Often beginners in my review class, especially the guys, would say that can't remember all the moves from the class (remember those days myself). So I would tell them not to worry. In fact it might be beneficial for them just to remember the and practise the ones they can. Even if it's only one. that way when they return next week, by the end of that class they will have 2 and so on.

I don't do it for every song, just now and again to force my brain to remember moves that I will otherwise forget. And like Gadget, when dancing with beginners I repeat moves more often and will do fewer variations with beginners' moves repeated inbetween (dependent on their ability to follow).

Thread Information