Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Often do you do it?

How Often do you do it?

When I began Ceroc I think people attended at least twice a week (from what I could gather), on average. Mind you there were only 4 venues in London and about 15/20 outside and I believe none in Scotland. I myself averaged 3 or 4 times a week for the first 3 years. One week I went 8 times and know of someone who went 13 days in a row (not to mention David Franklin's name).

These days of course we are spoiled for choice especially if you include WCS, Salsa, LeJive etc. Again almost none of these existed when I began Ceroc. Also with the increase in venue availability it generally means that there is more chance of a venue being near where one lives. As opposed to stopping off for a dance on the way home.

I'd be interested in knowing how regularly people dance these days. And does the proximity of a venue increase or diminish the frequency of attendance.

Re: How Often do you do it?

When I first started I used to go as much as I could! I think I went a bit OTT with it
    Nowadays, MJ has gone on a back burner for me & so I have been going to WCS but due to the distance, its only once a week if that

I do a modern jive night in Tuesdays with Just Jivin in Cheshunt, I also go every other week (me and Gav take turns) to SwingJive.com on Thursday for my Lindy night and me and Gav do the occasionaly work shop and weekender.

I've never gone more than a couple of times a week...I think it get's boring if you go more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I do a modern jive night in Tuesdays with Just Jivin in Cheshunt, I also go every other week (me and Gav take turns) to SwingJive.com on Thursday for my Lindy night and me and Gav do the occasionaly work shop and weekender.

I've never gone more than a couple of times a week...I think it get's boring if you go more than that.
    Did you go more often when you first started?

I think that is often the case. Especially for those people who had not considered dancing and came across jive "by accident" and discovered that they could do it (as was my case).

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

Weirdly I never get bored bit like my scrabble – oh and you forgot to mention your occasional visit with the OAP on Friday!!!!

My average is 3 times a week Fri/Sat/Sun occasionally 4 times if I throw in St Albans on Thursday and the most I’ve done is 5 nights in a row, which I know is light weight by some standards.

I would like to dance more in the week but unfortunately work gets in the way, so I concentrate my dancing at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    Did you go more often when you first started?
    I probably would have done if I could have gotten away with it but my (then) husband was left at home with three very young children while I wen't out dancing so I was lucky to get out once or twice a week, with the occasional weekender to Camber.

Ive just done my 5th day/night in a row and I am shattered...
    Tbh I felt I didnt dance too well last night and left early, deffinately a sign to call it a day for the week.

Though i have only been dancing since xmas and am still in my ceroc honeymoon, and if I didnt have to go to work I would dance every night, theres really been an improvement this last week

Oh and I dance in Surrey, so I have tons of choice with the furthest being a 30min drive.

Oddly enough, when there were less venues in London people would often go on their way home from work and hence go more often. With the surge in the number of venues I noticed people went less often. Partly I think because by the time you get home, change and head out again etc.

I also noticed that quite a number went to more than one venue so one was bound to know people at all the venues. I think more people chose closer to home.

When I first started I [very] quickly went from once to twice a week and the learnign curve increased a whole lot... Then I started getting curious of other venues and went exploring.

2 or 3 years ago I was able to dance 7 days a week and often did. I have no idea how many days I've done straight... That was, probably, OTT, but I just never tired of it. And I was happy to drive up to an hour to get there.

Now-a-days (after moving to a different part of the country) I am dancing 3 evenings a week with the odd extra freestyle or weekender chucked in for good measure!

I think there's definitely a tendency when the bug bites to go as often as possible (within geographic constraints) and then it tends to tail off for whatever reasons. I think I managed 7 consecutive nights once but this included a Southport and I was also on leave from work which allowed daytime recovery. Now I occasionally do a weeknight and once to twice at weekends. Would like to go more often but a tendency towards snootiness and rising fuel prices make that unlikely to happen.

The better half and I dance twice a week in Edinburgh with the end of the month Edinburgh party and the occasional Rutherglen and Perth party when we can make it (cost of feeding the car pertol allowing). I'd go more nights during the week if there were classes near enough.

Alas I have been abroad since 2005 where there is no Ceroc but some people do MJ. I can do once a week at times. Bit less than 8 times in one week (this included Mike Ellard's Casbah which started after my normal Friday night class, then Hammersmith on Saturday and finally Sunday afternoon tea dance

When I first started I only went once a week (plus once a week for salsa) in my home town. Then found another venue so twice a week (going on my way home from work), then another venue opened nearer me so I started going there too.

Now I do 2 venues (Mon & Thurs, one on my way home from work and one where I get to nip home first on my way past) that I taxi at, both 30mins from home. If there's a freestyle on a Saturday, then I do a Wednesday, if there's no freestyle I'll do a Friday WCS class.

Except for 1, all venues are on my way home from work, so I spend a lot of time hanging around in carparks, wondering round supermarkets, sitting in coffee shops, and they're all 30-40mins from home.

If I was single or had a dancing OH, I'd probably try and go dancing to freestyles on both Fri & Sat, but 3 nights a week is as much as I can get away with (plus 1 or 2 Sat evenings a month). But I'd want to find some other venues to make sure I was still learning & found new people to dance with. You can get bored of the same all the time.

I think I went about once a week when I first started, until someone said "you really need to go more than once to get the hang of this!) - then it rose to around twice a week for the first few months.

These days I dance about of 1 - 5 times per week on average (!), - completely depends on what else is going on in my life, - I have no routine at all

it's rare that I'll get bored of dancing too much, music might bore me at times... - and sometimes I feel burnt out & don't feel like dancing, but thats probably just lack of sleep and keeping up with other commitments outside of dancing

Rising petrol prices haven't had any influence on where & or what I do so far (& my fussy little baby has an appetite for V-Power), - sharing the journey to venues with friends splits the cost, plus I cycle to work so only really use the car for pleasure

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not often enough
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Not often enough

When I first started MJ, I'd go to 3 or 4 classes a week and a Saturday or Friday Party night 2 or 3 times a month between Ceroc & Leroc, now I only go to a Ceroc Saturday party night once a month in Glasgow and occasionally to DD's RH&B in Edinburgh, if it was in Glasgow however, I'd go to DD's evey month.
    Last edited by Brian Doolan; 22nd-April-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Not often enough

Not often enough
    ........... I only get my fix once a week ......most definitely not enough

From observation and personal experience I have also noticed that one's frequency of attendance drops off when one "meets" someone.

Thread Information