Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would u??

Commercial Operator

Re: Would u??

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    So basically you're saying to DJ's - once it's set up, load your cd into your laptop, press play, look busy with the ear phones but don't fiddle with the set up. It's not rocket science is it?
    If a DJ were to do that, they might as well stick with a CD player and a pre-set playlist. There's just a teensy bit more to it than that (as I'm sure you know fine well ).

I also think that filling a floor is something you can't teach
    Why not? There's aspects which aren't easy to teach, sure (judging the mood of a room, and choosing tracks to suit, for example) - but there's a lot that can be taught, for all that most of us probably learned it the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    there's a lot that can be taught, for all that most of us probably learned it the hard way.
    Like what? I'm genuinely interested to know what CJ will be teaching, or, what others like yourself think can be taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Reading between the lines it sounds like CJ was asked to stop working for Ceroc as he was in competition. Unless Franck is saying that CJ could have continued to work for Ceroc it's quite clear that he was told he could no longer work for Ceroc. However, it also means he wasn't sacked due to any question regarding his ability as a DJ.
    In this instance Andy, there is no "reading between the lines". He was told he could continue to DJ if he gave up teaching & DJing elsewhere. He chose not to, they agreed a notice period and he was given a very nice leaving present from Franck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Well everyone wasn't on the dance floor because if you didn't like it presumably you weren't dancing? And if you were, then what that shows is that some people would rather just dance to anything than sit out? You've paid your money, you're there so you may as well dance..
    Thats funny i have said this to you on certain occasions where i have seen certain DJ's i was told i was just a pain in the ass.

I have seen some of your favourite djs with people dancing in spite of and not because of the music then the majority that i have spoken to have said they didnt actually like the music but came to dance so they would.

The problem they have is when someone like me says i dont like it he gets shot down in flames by you, others see and hear this so they dont bother to say anything to you but speak about you behind your back

Music like any art form is completely subjective and just because one dj doesn't follow the crowd it doesn't mean he isn't playing good music for people who like to dance to unusual tracks

Having said that all the djs i spoke to you about at the time have changed their music and played sets that i would and do pay for on occasion as they have made my soul smile

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    I am not sure whether that is what would be covered by 'sworkshop but any DJ worth his salt would know that if you are a laptop dj you would always have an external soundcard.The quality of soundcards in computers is very basic.
    And how does a DJ find out such things? DJs do not spring from their mother's wombs knowing about sound cards. They need to learn about technical stuff. How about a course?

Me? I'm not a real DJ. I'm a dance teacher who has a garage full of sound & light equipment (mostly broken) who plays music to dancers. I think a proper DJ actually does stuff to modify and merge the tracks and other black magic arts that, again, I know nothing about and wouldn't even know where to find out.

And how does a DJ find out such things? DJs do not spring from their mother's wombs knowing about sound cards. They need to learn about technical stuff. How about a course?

By going on a dedicated dj website.DJ United is a good one.Lots of good advice and info on there.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    By going on a dedicated dj website.DJ United is a good one.Lots of good advice and info on there.
    I've looked on there, but not for some time. My impression was that the site has a huge readership of teenage boys fiddling in their bedrooms and taken in by the latest top brand. There is obviously some fab advice on there too. But how do I separate the experts from the fiddlers? I've found better technical advice on forum's such as http://www.blue-room.org.uk/

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Kazibaby View Post
    In this instance Andy, there is no "reading between the lines". He was told he could continue to DJ if he gave up teaching & DJing elsewhere. He chose not to, they agreed a notice period and he was given a very nice leaving present from Franck.
    Correct!...same as what happened to me, at much about the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Correct!...same as what happened to me, at much about the same time...
    Thanks for acknowleging my response John…I am bemused at how quick everyone is to comment on rumours of a sacking yet when the truth comes to light they allow it to pass without commentary or derision to the source of the lies.

Commercial Operator

Like what? I'm genuinely interested to know what CJ will be teaching, or, what others like yourself think can be taught.
    Entirely off the top of my head, if I were leading such a workshop, a few of the things I might cover:
    How to judge the mood & energy of a dancefloor.
    How & when to best serve that mood.
    Building the energy of the floor.
    Waves.
    How and when to raise the mood of the dancefloor.
    Keeping it varied - ways of playing a variety of muscal styles.
    When to speed things up, when to slow them down.
    HOW to speed things up & slow them down.

How best to introduce completely new tracks.
    How to choose new tracks for dancing.
    How to organise / categorise your music so you can quickly find what you need.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Kazibaby View Post
    Thanks for acknowleging my response John…I am bemused at how quick everyone is to comment on rumours of a sacking yet when the truth comes to light they allow it to pass without commentary or derision to the source of the lies.
    Sorry, I was so busy deriding Mr Barthomew's lies I didn't have time for Rocky. I will now, for the sake of balance say something about Rocky.

Shame on you Rocky. You have lied. CJ was not sacked. He was asked to stop what he was doing or leave. It was all done in a friendly way which meant it wasn't due to CJ performing poorly as a DJ*.

Now it is the lying Rocky who should be strung up by his knackers and beaten like a "festive ass stuffed with sweets".

Of course there are no articles about the lying Rocky in the Bexhill Observer. But if there were I'd be posting a link here.

*I've already said something about this bit, but it seemed to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    a) heard XXXX DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    Just to clarify, CJ wasn't sacked from Ceroc Scotland.
    Lory, will you be moderating Franck's post to remove the name too?

The Dashing Moderator

My memory (from what I read on here) is that a few years ago, Ceroc HQ issued an edict that, as from a certain date, people could not work for Ceroc and other MJ organisations at the same time.

So several DJs (and teachers) who had been working for more than one organisation had to choose. Some chose Ceroc, others chose to be independent.

I don't think many of them were particularly happy about having to make that choice, but my understanding was that it was their choice to make.
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post

My memory (from what I read on here) is that a few years ago, Ceroc HQ issued an edict that, as from a certain date, people could not work for Ceroc and other MJ organisations at the same time.

So several DJs (and teachers) who had been working for more than one organisation had to choose. Some chose Ceroc, others chose to be independent.

I don't think many of them were particularly happy about having to make that choice, but my understanding was that it was their choice to make.
    That's a pretty accurate summary David.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post

Hmm... Ok, well if you're selling wet fish for Henry Root from behind his counter in his shop and having access to his customers and then use that knowledge and those contacts to moonlight selling haddock from your own fish van, who's actually making the choice if you are told you have to pack it in or get sacked for continuing to break the rules?

Commercial Operator

Firstly, I would like to thank Rocky for bringing to your attention an event raising money for charity.

Morris is holding a couple of charity events on 1st and 8th May, and part of that is an introduction to DJing workshop aimed at DJs with little experience and looking to improve upon their skill set.

The 4 hr workshop has a fee of £10 which will, again, go 100% to the charity. The workshop will cover a few of the topics raised in this thread including aspects of how to read a room, it's energy; obtaning your sound; consistent levels, etc as well as other technical aspects. It will not cover what music to play.

As Franck has stated, we agreed a finish date as my teaching in England was incongruent with me DJing for Ceroc. There was a time when Franck and I discussed my work further afield but the change in rules meant that was no longer possible.

As Franck has stated, I was not sacked. Even as a proven liar may suggest that I was sacked by any other name: furnishing with a leaving gift and a signed card is an unusual length to go to when U fire someone.

Which, I guess, brings us to the "would U" part of the thread... Would U believe, trust or respect the word of someone on here who is a proven liar? Would U take seriously any post by a person with a track record of misleading, untruths and a bullying nature? Would U want someone like that as part of your community? Would U wonder why behaviour like that hasn't attracted some kind of infraction?

Life, as it is, is short enough... dance, for many, is an escape... a fun diversion from the drudgery of work, etc... It's meant to be fun. We can keep it like that... if U could keep dance as fun..... Would U??

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Hmm... Ok, well if you're selling wet fish for Henry Root from behind his counter in his shop and having access to his customers and then use that knowledge and those contacts to moonlight selling haddock from your own fish van, who's actually making the choice if you are told you have to pack it in or get sacked for continuing to break the rules?
    didnt we have this argument at the time ? ultimately DJs for Ceroc sometimes got DJ work elsewhere - the change in the rules meant they had to work exclusively for Ceroc or leave - many choose to leave. Its not a big deal. You say that Djs were moonlighting (how when it was not a full time job?) and that they had "access to customers" (because every DJ ran a night in direct competition?) but its simply spin. Ceroc introduced an unpopular policy, but it was up to them to do so, spin isnt even needed as they simply wanted in-house DJs - well, no spin is needed unless you have an agenda against certain DJs that is.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    ... yawn..
    I think what's interesting about this thread is that not at any time have I actually said that was sacked from . I may have done nothing to dispel the rumour, but say it I did not.

What is a fact however, is that after DJed at a weekend event he was not asked back for the next event and a number of subsequent ones because so many people complained about his choice of music - now we can argue about semantics all you like, but that's being sacked in my book.

As regards doing something for charity, well yes that's all well and good, but the act in itself does not necessarily infer that there is any real value in what is being paid for. Look at all the charity singles people buy - are they being bought because they have value as excellent pieces of music? Manifestly not.

Finally, to 's attempt at character assassination... one need only look at the original Would U thread to see the duplicitous nature of the person who started it. This was a considered, underhand and unprovoked attack at two of the most respected and loved people on the dance scene - and it wasn't just me who thought that, numerous people commented on it. In fact so much so that an apology was issued to the people thought to be the subject of the attack.

I sincerely hope the DJ workshop is a success for both the charity involved and the people taking part. If the latter is true, those people could move on to become much better Dj's themselves (not really that difficult) and put out of a job. So it really is a public service and a much better outcome I could not think of.
    Last edited by Rocky; 22nd-April-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Commercial Operator

As regards doing something for charity, well yes that's all well and good, but the act in itself does not necessarily infer that there is any real value in what is being paid for. Look at all the charity singles people buy - are they being bought because they have value as excellent pieces of music? Manifestly not.
    It is, of course, good to do charity work. But we must be careful that we do not promote our charity work as 100% selfless. When we do work for charity or give money we gain much. It might simply be the momentary good feeling we get from putting a coin into a collecting box or it might be that we gain much publicity for ourselves or our organisation.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do charity events. I do them myself a couple of times a year. But we shouldn't try to make out that we're getting nothing out of those events, even if we make no money.

Would I trust Rocky? I'm not sure I believe everything he says. Especially the bits about me being strung up by my knackers But I think I would trust Rocky. Likewise, I'd trust CJ. How much would I trust them? Not with money. But I'd trust them both to be reliable, keep an appointment and deliver as promised.

Would I trust Rocky? I'm not sure I believe everything he says. Especially the bits about me being strung up by my knackers But I think I would trust Rocky...but not with money..
    You could trust me to look after your wad if you ever do get strung up by the knackers - you don't want it falling out of your pocket onto the floor, all that dust and the flies would be a health hazard.. we don't need Heathrow to be forced to be shut again.

Thread Information