Thread: The gut buster

The gut buster

Can anyone tell me, or remember
    what was in the gut buster and the mega gut buster in the Market Diner , Brighton ?

I did read it was up for sale in 2008. Was it sold?

I used to go there in the early hours for " breakfast" after a night out on the town. At the time I thought it was the best English breakfast !!! Could have been the 12 beers talking though.

Can anyone help?

To open up the discussion further, what would your " ideal" English breakfast have in it, and do you know a cafe that does it?

Commercial Operator

Re: The gut buster

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Can anyone tell me, or remember
    what was in the gut buster and the mega gut buster in the Market Diner , Brighton ?

I did read it was up for sale in 2008. Was it sold?

I used to go there in the early hours for " breakfast" after a night out on the town. At the time I thought it was the best English breakfast !!! Could have been the 12 beers talking though.

Can anyone help?

To open up the discussion further, what would your " ideal" English breakfast have in it, and do you know a cafe that does it?
    You are obviously feeling homesick.

From memory the gutbuster has the following;

chips
    sausage
    bacon
    fried tomatoes
    black sausage
    baked beans
    fried egg
    fried mushrooms
    beefburger
    black pudding
    fried bread

I think it's served with bread and butter.

There is also the MegaGutbuster. There's more of the same served on a plate the size of a tray - I can't remember if there's any different items. Like all cafes you get choices, hash browns or chips, fried bread or toast, tinned or fresh tomatoes, etc. I've only seen one person come close to finishing a megagutbuster. That was Steve Lampert - he left his tomatoes because he doesn't like them.

The cafe was sold a couple of years ago and is now run by new management. It's still going strong.

Apart from my home made fried breakfast, the best one I ever had was at The Bay View Guest House in Beer Village, Devon. What made it the best was they made their fried bread with thick cut white bread and fried the bread in the bacon fat. The bacon was unsmoked, grilled and crispy, just the way I like it. Not good for the diet, but the walk from Beer to the neighbouring village of Branscombe afterwards which took 3 hours made up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    ........all good stuff .........The cafe was sold a couple of years ago and is now run by new management. It's still going strong.
    yup - I think Andy has the correct info (ask David Barker about the Mega GutBuster - mind you Lily did help him finish it )

The new management has cleaned up the venue itself (yes the actually clean the tables after EVERY meal now) and they have bouncers outside

Last time I went there was about 18months ago - but it is a "must to go" place for everyone visiting Brighton - can understand why Martin misses it.

Market Diner
    19-21 Circus Street
    Brighton BN2 9QF
    01273 608273
    Mon-Sat 7 p.m. - 7 a.m.
    Last edited by Minnie M; 16th-April-2010 at 07:50 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I remember most of the content, I was not sure if it had minute steak, or just burger.

I do not remember the black sausage, but I know it had black pudding.

Yes it had Bread and butter as well and a proper size mug of coffee or tea (not one of those sissy small cups).

Can anyone confirm if it has minute steak, and if there is black sausage in it?

My thoughts started when someone was adding "English Breakfast" to his menu and him not being English, wanted to understand what is in a true "English" Breakfast, or even an "ideal" English breakfast.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Can anyone confirm if it has minute steak, and if there is black sausage in it?
    Sorry, my mistake. The sausage is just a sausage. I got confused with the black pudding. There is no steak, just a burger.

Thread Information