Thread: Jive Bar, Tavistock Place

Jive Bar, Tavistock Place

Was anyone a regular here in the mid '90's.

It would be nice to get in touch.

Prian

Re: Jive Bar, Tavistock Place

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    Was anyone a regular here in the mid '90's.

It would be nice to get in touch.

Prian
    Was it active in the mid-90s? I was there 1999-2003, but I have always been under the impression that it had not been long before that that the other place - oh, fudge, I can't remem... the Central Club, wasn't that it? - had closed and the Jive Bar had not long been its replacement...

Actually you might be right on the dates. It was the late '90's. Viktor and Lydia days. They were great days

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

i was there almost every month in 2000-2002 i think - or thereabouts...got a dance with Steve Lampert as a follower I remember

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    i was there almost every month in 2000-2002 i think - or thereabouts...got a dance with Steve Lampert as a follower I remember
    We probably crossed paths, then, since I taxied there in 2001/2002 and danced there most nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    We probably crossed paths, then, since I taxied there in 2001/2002 and danced there most nights.
    You must remember bald Andy. Was his surname Phillips?

Which night was Viktor and Lydia's, Wednesday? I was always there that night and used to smoke a fag on the stairs? There was one bloke that used to complain (ok so it was technically wrong), about me every week without fail. I knew him from another venue where he was very friendly towards me but not at the Jive Bar.

Another thing Barry. There was a guy (Steve, possibly), who was promoted to Taxi after just a few weeks of Ceroc. But he left when Janie refused to let him be a teacher so he went off to a Ceroc rival LeRoc or LeJive????

You must remember bald Andy. Was his surname Phillips?

Which night was Viktor and Lydia's, Wednesday? I was always there that night and used to smoke a fag on the stairs? There was one bloke that used to complain (ok so it was technically wrong), about me every week without fail. I knew him from another venue where he was very friendly towards me but not at the Jive Bar.
    That suggests an unwarranted faith in my powers of recall and fails to take account of the fact that mostly I only talked to and knew the names of the women. (Two notable exceptions - Don Lavoie, Taxi-Dancer-in-Chief, and Toby-wan-kenobe, late of this parish.)

Viktor and Lydia - yes, Wednesday IIRC. Mostly I did not attend their nights, I was broadly speaking a Tuesday and Wednesday dancer. I don't recall a Steve who left because he couldn't be a teacher.

Andy wasn't a dancer (well sort of not). He was mostly Ceroc venue manager (or whatever the title was). And he was naturally bald, about 50 ish.

Mind you you are right about mostly remembering the girls names.

Also after it closed Ceroc opened again a short distance away in some massive hall. Do you recall that venue (I think it was female).

But I hear the Jive Bar is open again now???

Andy wasn't a dancer (well sort of not). He was mostly Ceroc venue manager (or whatever the title was). And he was naturally bald, about 50 ish.

Mind you you are right about mostly remembering the girls names.

Also after it closed Ceroc opened again a short distance away in some massive hall. Do you recall that venue (I think it was female).

But I hear the Jive Bar is open again now???
    Are you talking about some university Hall - was it Westminster University? It was really close to the BT Tower. (A guy died of a heart attack there one night, during the beginners class IIRC. I turned up later (you know, too important for beginner's classes, oh yes) to find the place closed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Are you talking about some university Hall - was it Westminster University? It was really close to the BT Tower. (A guy died of a heart attack there one night, during the beginners class IIRC. I turned up later (you know, too important for beginner's classes, oh yes) to find the place closed.)
    Yes I thing it was the place. Only went there once found it too big with too few people (relative to the size of the place that is).

I know only too well the people that are too important to turn up for the beginners. Bain of my life.
    I still take part in the beginners. Of course some might say I still need to.
    Did you ever go to James and Janies "private" class in the churches. Firstly in Onslow Square, then in Marylebone? I once turned up for a Friday night class to find it closed. Waited an hour in case my watch was wrong (had literally just returned from abroad), and eventually went home. It was 2 more days later when I realised I had turned up there on Saturday.

Thread Information