Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Self imposed dance policy's

Re: Self imposed dance policy's

slightly off track I know, but I just love the look on the faces of those who clearly have accepted a dance as an "if I have to" when they realise this guy actually knows what he's doing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alinp View Post
    slightly off track I know, but I just love the look on the faces of those who clearly have accepted a dance as an "if I have to" when they realise this guy actually knows what he's doing!!!
    My friend had a guy look her up & down then did accept the dance - realised she was good & so asked her for a 2nd, but there is really no need for that!!!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I really don't understand music snobs who just won't dance to tracks they haven't heard, or tracks they have had a bad dance to in the past, or tracks that remind them of a past life, or tracks they don't like...
    Why should we dance to tracks we don't like dancing to?

If we've tried dancing to them, and if we genuinely don't like it, why dance to it?

Some tracks, I simply don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    If I'm labelled a music snob for not dancing to tracks I don't like, then so be it.
    Count me in too. It must be our shared exposure to Tango

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post

If I really cannot stand a track, I see nothing wrong with not asking anyone to dance, or, if asked, requesting a postponement until the next one.

Out of choice I'd do the same - if someone asks me and it's a track I've purposely decided to avoid, then I'll explain that I'll not dance to that track, but will to the next one/another one. Most people will stand and chat, unless they're really keen on the track, and just wait til the next one. Not a real refusal i guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I know this is slightly off track but I sometimes think it’s better to be refused than have to dance with someone that makes it very clear through their body language, that they are only being polite in dancing with you and show absolutely no interest or acknowledgement – not fun
    Esp if they are really good, no eye contact, no effort
    , no nothing

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I really don't understand music snobs
    And I really don't understand people who say it 'doesn't make any difference', what music's playing

I'd also go as far as to say, if at all possible, I'll even choose a partner, based on the genre.

I definitely wouldn't say that someone who's developed certain music preferences is being music 'snob', for example, I don't like gangster rap stuff, as IMO most tracks sound like an angry person having a moan, in badly rhyming monotone. I can't relate to it, I can't singalong to it, it doesn't make me feel good and I certainly wouldn't want to dance to it... Am I a Snob
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    Esp if they are really good, no eye contact, no effort
    , no nothing
    Then you see them with someone else smiling away eye contact etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    And I really don't understand people who say it 'doesn't make any difference', what music's playing

I'd also go as far as to say, if at all possible, I'll even choose a partner, based on the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Am I a Snob
    Well I would not describe myself as a music snob (but I probably am) more discerning. I will dance to most tracks but just don't enjoy dancing to them in the same way as dancing to music I enjoy. That's why I mainly choose the blues room or Utopia

I'm not sure I have any policies for dancing. But I'm there to enjoy myself (I've reached a point where I need a good reason to do anything I don't enjoy - there are some good reasons, but not many of them come into play on a night of dancing).

That means I'll try and dance with people I enjoy dancing with and will avoid dancing with people I don't enjoy dancing with. There aren't any hard and fast rules here; in general, I enjoy dancing with good dancers who enjoy dancing. I've no hesitation in saying no to someone (as long as I'm polite, then their reaction isn't actually my problem). I don't refuse a lot of people but neither does it particularly concern me if I do.

It also means I'm more likely to dance to a song I love and less likely to dance to a song I dislike. Again, there aren't any clear-cut rules; but the more I like the song, the more likely I am to go hunting for someone to dance with and the more likely I am to dance well. Sometimes I look for a particularly type of person to dance with, based on the track.

I expect everyone else to have much the same attitude - to be there to enjoy themselves too - which means some people will refuse to dance with me. I'm OK with that. Most of the time, it works out well for everyone.

Thread Information