Thread: Moves from other disciplines

Moves from other disciplines

I'm talking about Ceroc here, maybe other MJ indies do the same thing.

I've noticed that a lot of the new moves coming into Ceroc these days are based on WCS moves. And they work well if you dance in a slotted fashion and your partner follows well.

Does Ceroc go through these phases. Being a relatively new dancer - is it the case that two years ago there were a lot of tango moves that came in etc. or is this the start of a new trend?

Re: Moves from other disciplines

Ceroc is a bastard dance: it borrows freely from most other dance styles. It always has been and always will be.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    I'm talking about Ceroc here, maybe other MJ indies do the same thing.

I've noticed that a lot of the new moves coming into Ceroc these days are based on WCS moves. And they work well if you dance in a slotted fashion and your partner follows well.

Does Ceroc go through these phases. Being a relatively new dancer - is it the case that two years ago there were a lot of tango moves that came in etc. or is this the start of a new trend?
    WCS only has 4 "moves" everything else in a variation on those 4 moves

I guess it depends on where you go. I have seen MJ classes (mainly indys) that teach loads of Lindy style MJ and others that teach a very rock n Roll style. It all depends on what the teachers "Style" is.

As Lee says, a lot depends on the teachers, their style and their background.

Plus it can depend on the new moves that ceroc are developing as the teachers do their refresher courses each year.

In our area alone, the teachers come from a variety of disciplines - ballroom, salsa, street, african/indian dance, so each chooses the moves that they enjoy teaching and that suits the class.

At the moment at weekenders anyway, the teaching seems very much focused on slotted, smooth style MJ (which I much prefer to going round in circles), but I'm sure the next dance will be coming along soon to add to the mixture that is MJ.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    I'm sure the next dance will be coming along soon to add to the mixture that is MJ.
    Wouldn't it be cool if it was Bollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    WCS only has 4 "moves" everything else in a variation on those 4 moves
    What a load of tosh! try watching some of J&T videos, I've got all 6 and I can assure you there are a lot more than 4 "moves"

It's a bit like saying MJ is based on only the "first move", the "in and out", the "basket" and the "hand jive".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    What a load of tosh! try watching some of J&T videos, I've got all 6 and I can assure you there are a lot more than 4 "moves"
    4 moves is what gets quoted in WCS beginner classes - whip, left side/right side pass, sugar push (and there's sometimes a 5th added), but everything else is generally based on one of these 4 however complicated.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post

It's a bit like saying MJ is based on only the "first move", the "in and out", the "basket" and the "hand jive".

Yep, Suger push, Left side Pass, Right Side Pass and Whip. Everything else is just a variation.

You could say there is 5 if you are going to count the starter step but thats not overly classed as a pattern as it's only done once in the dance.

Thanks guys, it was something that i had noticed at weekenders, especially the last camber and the hot new moves class there.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    I don't think specific moves should necessarily be associated with a dance style as I don't think they ever define a dance. Having said that, there remains a tendency to associate certain moves with a certain dance. Sometimes the homage is part of the attraction - Simon and Nicole ran Coasters classes at some MJ weekenders a while back. At a recent Southport I watched CJ Baker's class and saw lots that I recognised from WCS clips on You Tube. I'd say the same about a class that Dave and Val did at the previous Southport but I don't think they were necessarily 'based on WCS moves' as that implies plagiarism and heaven forbid Rocky would ever swim in such murky waters I am sure that when Victor was a more prominent MJ teacher there was a great deal of Salsa influence in the moves that he (and his imitators/admirers) taught.

What I would say from my specific experience is that sometimes I see patterns that appear to me to be lifted from a clip on YT but without the accompanying mechanics that make it work easily. In WCS there is standard footwork (and, yes, of course it can be altered but there remains a standard) which helps to ensure that a follower has their weight on the correct foot for a spin or change of direction. Such a move translated badly to MJ generally means lots of effort for the ladies in syncopating to get themselves on the correct foot and or the leads just trying to pull them through regardless and wondering why it's not working. Just my experience and since I do very few MJ classes now, probably not worth very much

I've started to watch YouTube dance videos and see some things Kyle redd does that are now in Ceroc - I have to recommend Kyle and tatiana doing a jack n jill this year for amusement value, they keep trying to catch each other out

Thread Information