Thread: This could make your day. . . . .

This could make your day. . . . .

I was trolling through the internet and something caught my eye. I have been to Hypermiling sites before where people - generally men attempt to get huge mile to gallon ratios for their cars. Overinflating tyres, coasting, never using the radio, all manner of things are purported to save you petrol and increase the MPG you can achieve. So I was curious when some search I did offered me a metacafe video saying - one step to increased MPG.
    I'm a bloke,
    I drive a car,
    I'm stingey so I went to look.

It is very simple - sorry I didnt get the url for that video but you can go investigate this yourselves - I plan to do a little more too - but simply add a little bit of pure acetone to your petrol (does work with diesel too but you need to be more careful on the amount).

Basically the Acetone breaks down the surface tension in the petrol a lot faster than it could do on its own, thus it vapourises better and hence burns better and cleaner.
    Da di da and so on - less contamination of the oil better power, better MPG
    In a Diesel there is power increase, MPG increase and less soot.

Hydrocarbon emissions come down too.

Ok problems - get it on the paint work and you'll be very annoyed and the crappy mark on the paint will continue to annoy till you sell the car. But thats it as far as I can see - no modification. Just up to 35% better MPG
    Thats good enough to make my LPG installation almost redundant - so I'm annoyed already.

On petrol I can get 43 miles to the gallon in my automatic Astra. If I add Actenone I may get 58 lets call it 60. Pigging hell where do I get the bloody acetone.

Its £5 a litre - must be pure acteone but you only use 30 - 90 ml in ten gallons.

Go read this

See made your day didn't I

Obviously before I do it I will seek further confirmation of this but if it works wow!

Also I do not suggest you try this, but I do suggest you investigate it too.

Right now back to the young ladies in underwear that I was originally searching for!

Re: This could make your day. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post

Pigging hell where do I get the bloody acetone.
    It's found in nail polish remover or paint thinner. Hence the need to keep it clear of your paintwork

There are articles claiming it works, and others claiming it doesn't, personally I'm pretty scepticle to say the least

When fuel prices are at an all time high all sorts of myths (filling your car up in the morning when it's colder will give you more fuel, etc) and 'products' will start to emerge

http://www.hammeruncut.com/does-acet...-fuel-mileage/

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=276

Commercial Operator

I've found a fabulous way to save fuel. I drive my car less and stay local more. With the price of fuel being so high and all this talk of global warming it means I think twice before making that trip to go dancing.

Tonight there's a dance in Portsmouth a round trip of 80 from my house. Five years ago I wouldn't have thought about the cost of fuel or my carbon footprint, I'd have got in the car and gone. However, there's a venue down the road in Hove that's a round trip of 10 miles. That's an 87.5% saving on fuel - much better than acetone or any other additive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    There are articles claiming it works, and others claiming it doesn't, personally I'm pretty scepticle to say the least
    I usually find snopes is a good place to look for these things. They tend to look into the science properly and give an objective evaluation. They're unequivocal in saying it's just not true which agrees with most of the science and evidence based evaluations I could find in a short time.

It would also be worth thinking about the effect a powerful solvent would have on the various lines and seals that the fuel runs through...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

acetone raises the octane level in your fuel.

You will notice at pumps most of our fuel (petrol) is 92 or the expensive version is up to 98 octane. The higher the octane, the better the combustion in the engine and then better fuel ecconomy.

so does adding aload of acetone, get better octane, better combustion and better mpg. Yes

So why doesn't everyone add it?

Well the problem is when you start getting too high with your octane rating (depends on the car) you will need to advance your engine timing to cope with detonation which will kill your engine in a very short amount of time. Even advancing your timing will only help keep detonation at bay for a couple more octane.

We are lucky in the UK in that our fuel (though more expensive) is better quality than in the USA where their octane ratings are typically 89 or 92 octane. Japan has 100 octane as standard which is basically racing fuel. Most of the sites that comment on it will be USA based so they have a bit of give and can afford to add acetone to bring their octane rating in line with ours.

I have used acetone in an engine before. It does give better throttle response and better MPG (slightly with the small amount I used) but I would not recommend it unless you are comfortable with advancing your timing, know the signs of detonation and are willing to possibly have to replace your engine if it goes wrong.

Oh and I really wouldn't want to add it to diesel

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

The best way to increase your MPG is to find what fuel suits your car better. Sometimes paying more at the pump will work out cheaper in MPG.

For example it costs me more in Morrisons basic unleaded in MPG than it does with Shell's high octane fuel even though there is a few p per litre difference in my Maxima yet Morrisons fuel might be better in a smaller car for MPG.

The artical you linked to doesn't make much sense "fuel escapes past the rings" and I would guess it is written by someone who themselves has only read about it on another site.

If you really wanted to experiment with chemicals to save petrol, don't put any petrol in, just make a mixture of 90% nitromethane and 10% methanol

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

detonation eh? hmm sounds rather dangerous I'm a bloke, and I have no interest in cars whatsoever, in fact i take delight in scratching the car, its a badge of honour.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    detonation eh? hmm sounds rather dangerous I'm a bloke, and I have no interest in cars whatsoever, in fact i take delight in scratching the car, its a badge of honour.
    Detonation (also called engine knock) is when the air/fuel mixture is incorrect and causes combustion outside of the normal combustion front envelope.

So now you know.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Detonation (also called engine knock) is when the air/fuel mixture is incorrect and causes combustion outside of the normal combustion front envelope.

So now you know.
    but i want to know if this envelope is one of the ones that has the little window in the front.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    but i want to know if this envelope is one of the ones that has the little window in the front.
    Yes it is.

Infact if you get some of these envelopes, tear them to bits and place them in to your fuel tank your car becomes super efficiant.

C5 works best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Yes it is.

Infact if you get some of these envelopes, tear them to bits and place them in to your fuel tank your car becomes super efficiant.

C5 works best.

So it makes a Renault more efficient?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    So it makes a Renault more efficient?
    renault ? nah, he means Sir Clive Sinclairs car of the future.

Don't you think if acetone gave better MPG without any side-effects it would be in our petrol now?

Here's how it would work: company A would have said - in like, 1953 in the USA 'Buy our petrol - you'll get better MPG" and then all the other companies would have had to follow suit.

Thread Information