Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things That Went Wrong at Our Wedding

Commercial Operator

Things That Went Wrong at Our Wedding

On another thread I mentioned that we never forget the things that went wrong at our wedding. So I thought I'd give people somewhere to post those unforgettable events.

Sue and I were married in Bushey Heath on 12th December 1981. It snowed, I nearly didn't make it to the wedding because the trains from Chester stopped running in Rugby. Sue's dad kept falling over on the ice outside the church and our friends completely buried my red Ford Cortina in a massive mound of snow. Observant readers will notice I said I came by train - our friends buried Sue's uncle's car that was the same model as mine!
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 29th-March-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Re: Things That Went Wrong at Our Wedding

gee ... thanks for that

here's hoping ours goes without a hitch

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    gee ... thanks for that

Apart from the "getting hitched" bit

So many things when wrong at my first wedding I should have known it was doomed.

1. It's rained...and rained...and rained aaaaaall day.
    2. The engine fell out of our photographers car so my Dad had to drive him to the registry office instead of travelling with me.
    3. My mother in law slipped on a slippery floor from the rain, smashed her head on the floor and had to leave early.
    4. My uncle and his wife spend three hours driving to my wedding, only to get lost on the way to the reception and have to drive back home after a 20 minute registry service. He died of a heart attack the next day!!! I still wonder if I finished him off with the stress of the day before.
    5. My children developed chicken pox on the morning of the wedding and were miserable and ill with a high temperature all day.
    6. My wedding breakfast cost £100 per head. 6 people just didn't bother to show up who had confirmed...didn't send apologies or even a present!! £600 down the swanny.

I could go on....it was a total disaster, total waste of money and the divorce was even more costly.......I'm doing it all again next summer. (not the divorce bit though, I hope)

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I got a terrible fit of the giggles during the service which might sound funny and 'is' now we look back on it but in all honesty, it was horrible, as it was really due to nerves but to the Vicar, it looked at though I wasn't taking any of it seriously

It happened as soon as it all went quiet and the Vicar started to talk to us, I felt myself welling up and beginning to crack but as I was trying so hard to hold it in, my shoulders started to shake and I started to make this awful strained humming noise

Which of course made it worse, as when if finally came out, it was a very loud burst

The thing was, everyone behind thought I'd burst into tears, until my brother clocked the fact I was laughing and started to laugh too!

I was holding my face and taking deep breaths and I kept saying.. I'm sorry, I'm sorry but it kept happening the whole way through the entire service

I, more than anyone, love a good laugh but this it was awful!

Its very funny to watch back on the video though!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

gee ... thanks for that

It'll be fine As LemonCake said to me, even if something doesn't quite happen as you want it it's part of the memories!

The only thing that could be classed as going wrong for us was that it was raining (horizontally) as we went to go outside for photos so we had them taken in the church instead

My wedding day was as perfect as I wanted it to be

I think the trick is to plan the big things and not to worry too much about the really fine detail otherwise you'll spend the whole day concentrating on minor things and not the main reason why you're there!

I got married on the 4th December - we had a tornado (well it felt like one) so I was hidden by my veil in nearly all the photos - so we didn't have any 'outside' photos (well none worth keeping)

The photographer got drunk at the reception so didnt get any decent 'inside' ones either.

Going up the aisle I sneezed and needed to blow my nose - tried to let my dad know but he wasn't listening - so I sniffed my way through the service !

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

No major issues at mine, although I did manage to get my vows wrong ('with my bonnie...bonnie, er body') even though my husband to be was much more scared of speaking in public than me in my local church.

I didn't get any pig roast in the evening as when I went to see the pig roast man the first time he told me '5 minutes' then I forgot to go back. Gutted!

The other things we just forgot to do: didn't toss the bouquet; then didn't tell anyone were leaving, but just went.

Oh and not forgetting our eldest nephew (then 5) who had chicken pox which we didn't realise (his spots were obviously just covered by his clothes). He told one of my family's friends that 'I've got chicken pox, spots on my head, and my tummy, and on my willy'. Luckily the family friend was amused by this, and prevented his showing him the evidence! But after our honeymoon I heard from a friend that her boyfriend had caught chicken pox really seriously and they couldn't work out where from! Oops.

My wedding, 12 years ago, was all very nice but there were one or two things about the reception I could have done without...
    Half the wedding presents were stolen (by the hotel staff)
    The so called Best Man trashed the Bridal Suite 'for a laugh' - he was left with a large bill for the damage caused and we got a different room.
    Not sure I'd do it again but glad I've done it once.

Rachel
    x

I got married in 2004. Just as my blushing bride was getting into the car to be driven to the church, she heard a loud ripping noise as the zip of her wedding dress broke - right up her back! Luckily her dad was a dab hand with a needle and he whisked her into the house and sewed her into the dress.

Despite that she wasn't too late arriving at the church, and we had a great day.

One wedding memory that still makes me angry, though, occurred at my sister's wedding. I went to meet with the registrar an hour or so before the wedding to give him any last-minute details he might require (this was in a small Pentecostal church, where a registrar was required). I left when he told me he had everything he needed.

An hour later, as I was walking my sister down the aisle with the wedding music playing, the idiot of a registrar actually stopped us halfway down the aisle to ask what our father did for a living. On its own that would have been bad enough, but I had already told him that our father was dead when he had asked me that exact same question an hour before.

Tim and I got maried in July 2003....

Had a brilliant day but we did have a few hiccups during the day.

1. Mother-in law picked up flowers and got them to me in the morning. They were not what I'd ordered. So had a stressful conversation with florists and demanded they sent me out some new ones. (Bridezilla moment!!) It turns out the florist I had ordered and discussed things with had left 3 months prior to wedding date and they were just going on his notes. Didn't think to consult me.

2. My dress didn't fit me and didn't realise until 1 hour before leaving. It was strapless and wouldn't stay up. I couldn't wear the lovely underwear mum had bought me as it was showing because dress was falling down. I even tried stuffing socks down a bra to keep it up. I spent the entire day with my shoulders hunched forward`to keep the dress up.

3. With all the fussing about and stress of the morning we forgot to feed our 14 month daughter who was very unsettled throughout most of the ceremony and cried a lot, wonder why?

4. Finally, Mr Franck Pauly and family were nearly late for ceremony. The wedding car was driving up the road/entrance to the castle and was overtaken by none other than Franck waving away at me. I had to laugh!!!

Lorna xx

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl View Post
    The so called Best Man trashed the Bridal Suite 'for a laugh' - he was left with a large bill for the damage caused and we got a different room.
    My Parents had a spare key to my flat and for some reason gave it to a "friend" of mine, who sabotaged the bedroom, including shortening the sheets and rice in the bed.

Not so romantic coming back to your flat for a night of passion and ending up cleaning up and remaking bed, getting the vacuum cleaner out (not a hoover) and delaying nuptual delights.

Other things... I wanted the trad wedding march for the bride coming into the church, this got changed without my knowledge and some strange song came on instead.

I wanted to take my bride back to our new flat in her wedding dress... somewhere along the line, a "going away dress" got introduced.

The photos, well I know how boring this can be for others, so I arranged a maximum of 1/2 hour for photos.... Hmmmmmm...

We thought our wedding, being simply the two of us, a cameraman, a registrar and an organiser, at the end of a pier in Antigua had limited opportunities for mishap. We there was only one minor inconvenience.

Since I had to get out or our room so that my bride could put on the secret wedding dress I met up with the cameraman for a pre ceremony drink on the beach. While having the drink he told me that he had got some good photos of the crash. "What crash?" says I. It turns out that someone from a nearby resort had rented a jet ski and through panic or mechanical malfunction had driven it at full speed into the moored glass bottomed boat while he had a small child on the back of the jet ski. The wreckage did look horrendous and I was told that the ceremony would have to be delayed for a while as the peir was needed to recover the casualty or possibly, body of the adult.

"Best not tell the bride" said the cameraman.

"Would have been best not to have told me either" said I already feeling nervous and wanting to get to the tricky bit.

After all this was done things started to go to plan again.

Until

In the middle of the service when I was going through the "repeat after me" bit with the service being videoed a coastguard boat start manouvering by the side of us to pick up a local official to go out and look at the accident site. The noise was all but drowning out the service and I was struggling to keep the words I had to say out loud seperate to the expletives that were going on in my head. It could have easily turned into a Tourettes wedding service.

Even despite that I found the words of the service extremely moving and my eyes were full of tears by the end of my bit. I looked into Dawns tear filled eyes and thought "good luck it's your turn now". How Dawn managed her part while crying so much I will never know.

Even with the slight hiccup it was still the best wedding I have ever been to.

Blog Entries

Well, obviously it was a bad decision but I didn't have my degree in hindsight at the time.

I'm sure that everything would have been fine, no really!
    We were on a very tight budget and were doing everything on a suitably small scale. Local register office, cheap (but OK) dress and suit, small wedding breakfast at our friend's pub restaurant, reception at ours for a few guests.
    Then the father-in-law turned up...
    Bearing in mind he'd had bugger all to do with his daughter for many years, he came with apologies and promises of cars, photographer, videographer, reception venue, buffet etc. and of course we were very greatful, then came the day.

• The cars didn't turn up (never did find out why), but a couple of very good friends stepped in.
    • The photographer was drunk before he arrived and he turned up with only 1 roll of colour film and 2 black & white.
    • The father-in-law had an argument with our friend, the landlord, about the wedding breakfast seating; despite us telling him it was exactly what we'd asked for.
    • The reception venue was the local, 3rd rate football club and still smelt of BO and stale beer.
    • The buffet would've fed about 10 people (on a diet).
    • The DJ said "I only normally do the football club dos, I haven't got any slow songs".
    • and finally, no-one has ever seen the wedding video???

The most important lesson I've learnt from that?
    Simple, only allow someone else to take control of any important aspects of your wedding if you're 100% confident that:
    a. They won't screw it up.
    b. If it does go wrong, they'll fix it ASAP.
    Which is why, DT & I will be taking control of all of the hiring/arrangements etc and only relinquishing control on the day.

For Twirly & Beo (and anyone else getting married soon), learn from our lessons and I'm sure that no matter what happens you'll have a lovely day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    DT & I will be taking control of all of the hiring/arrangements etc and only relinquishing control on the day.
    Sounds like Twirly.. I'm in charge of the bits I can't mess up Twirly (The Crown Princess of spreadsheets) is running everything else like a military manoeuvre.

DT & I will be taking control of all of the hiring/arrangements etc and only relinquishing control on the day.

First I've heard. The last time we spoke about it, we agreed you were arranging everything. Just tell me where I'm going and what time I've got to be there. I trust you to get everything spot on (no pressure)

Twirly (The Crown Princess of spreadsheets) is running everything else like a military manoeuvre.
    Gav is my Twirly, so to speak. I'm glad I'm marrying a natural organiser as I am useless at anything like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

First I've heard. The last time we spoke about it, we agreed you were arranging everything. Just tell me where I'm going and what time I've got to be there. I trust you to get everything spot on (no pressure)
    Yes dear, I was just being polite by not telling everyone.

Commercial Operator

Yes dear, I was just being polite by not telling everyone.
    It sounds like this one is going to last

Sounds like Twirly.. I'm in charge of the bits I can't mess up Twirly (The Crown Princess of spreadsheets) is running everything else like a military manoeuvre.
    Ah, with Twirly in charge, your wedding planning is in good hands. I'm in charge of our wedding, and that can only mean disaster.....

Can I ask everyone to pray to whatever deities they believe in for good weather on the 19th June, please? We're hoping to have our wedding ceremony outside...... In Scotland...... We do have an option B if the weather gods decide to be nasty, but it would be great to have the ceremony in the garden.....

Now I've got about.... Er..... 2 1/2 months to teach the groom to dance. ANY dance. So we won't just do a first 'shuffle'......

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Now I've got about.... Er..... 2 1/2 months to teach the groom to dance. ANY dance. So we won't just do a first 'shuffle'......
    I know how you feel (I'll pay for that later)

Will keep my fingers crossed for you for the weather. Bearing in mind ours is only 4 weeks away I'm glad that we picked a venue where the weather doesn't matter, and am glad that we have white brollies at hand. Wonder if I should be investing in snow shoes!

Thread Information