Thread: Modern Jive on Britains Got Talent

Modern Jive on Britains Got Talent

Re: Modern Jive on Britains Got Talent

Cool! Thats good for them

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The trouble with all these programmes that show the audition stages, they're only interested in, the really good or the reeeallly bad.

Lets hope, for the sake of MJ, this couple got though for being really good!

p.s. their website's got no pics or vids, how boring
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    The trouble with all these programmes that show the audition stages, they're only interested in, the really good or the reeeallly bad.
    How very true!

p.s. their website's got no pics or vids, how boring
    Yes, I wanted to see a vid but no such luck - hey hoo.

Funny this thread should start today as I was talking to Lynne last night about her experience!! She said that although they didn't get through to the next stage they had a bit of banter with the panel and the audience.

Amanda Holden's comments were about the kindest, and they didn't get the chance to talk to Ant and Dec because they ran over time with another couple, but they did get the chance to have a banter with the audience and the panel.

I say well done to them both for having a go, and they did well to get to the first stage at least out of so many entering, I believe it was around 250,000 people!!.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Commercial Operator

I think they were brave to perform MJ for an audition for a talent contest - the only time I remember an MJ audition on TV didn't go too well with Vanessa Leagh-Hicks expressing the infamous "I Hate Modern Jive" line

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Funny this thread should start today as I was talking to Lynne last night about her experience!! She said that although they didn't get through to the next stage they had a bit of banter with the panel and the audience.

Amanda Holden's comments were about the kindest, and they didn't get the chance to talk to Ant and Dec because they ran over time with another couple, but they did get the chance to have a banter with the audience and the panel.

I say well done to them both for having a go, and they did well to get to the first stage at least out of so many entering, I believe it was around 250,000 people!!.
    I am just hoping that they are seen to be having fun and enjoying themselves, and that some organisers might run some long copy newspaper ads before the showing.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    the only time I remember an MJ audition on TV didn't go too well with Vanessa Leagh-Hicks expressing the infamous "I Hate Modern Jive" line
    I think Len Goodman has said something similar

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I am just hoping that they are seen to be having fun and enjoying themselves,

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I think Len Goodman has said something similar
    I have encountered similar comments from ball room teachers and tango puriists. One ball room teacher referred to 'Modern Jive' being a 'bastardisation of all dance steps'.

Well each discipline I suppose thinks they are the best but I think MJ has got so many people dancing that wouldn't normally go near a dance floor and made people's lives less lonely, and a lot happier and healthier. So what's wrong with amalgamating the different styles after all what dance is not influenced by a little bit of this and a little bit of that!!

I have encountered similar comments from ball room teachers and tango puriists. One ball room teacher referred to 'Modern Jive' being a 'bastardisation of all dance steps'.

Well each discipline I suppose thinks they are the best but I think MJ has got so many people dancing that wouldn't normally go near a dance floor and made people's lives less lonely, and a lot happier and healthier. So what's wrong with amalgamating the different styles after all what dance is not influenced by a little bit of this and a little bit of that!!
    The more difficult a dance is the greater the need for dance teachers. It is in their self interest to dis anything easy. MJ dancers mostly dance for themselves, not to impress anybody else, beyond partner.

Commercial Operator

I think the problem is that MJ done badly looks dreadful - but it's probably still MJ. On the other hand, the waltz done badly is not a waltz.

The other problem, and I know I keep coming back to this, is that there is no minimum standard for teaching MJ. Anybody can set up and teach. I know a guy, now moved abroad, who started his own MJ classes after attending about 20 lessons. And the teacher who taught him the 20 lessons wasn't that good

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having fun when your out dancing at a venue is one thing but I'm afraid, if your not absolutely fantastic, your in grave danger of looking like a couple of nutters!

Nowadays, the TV audiences have been exposed to the top professional ballroom dancers, looking slick and polished! Sadly, 99.9% of MJ dancers, will look poor in comparison.

There were a couple on there last time, that were so shockingly bad, I was cringing the whole way through.. yes they were having fun but so were the audience, at their expense

MJ is a fantastic dance but its a 'social dance', not a show dance for a TV audience!
    and IMO, (I HOPE I'm wrong) it might do more harm, than good!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The trouble with all these programmes that show the audition stages, they're only interested in, the really good or

................the reeeallly bad.........................

If only I had known

Having fun when your out dancing at a venue is one thing but I'm afraid, if your not absolutely fantastic, your in grave danger of looking like a couple of nutters!

Nowadays, the TV audiences have been exposed to the top professional ballroom dancers, looking slick and polished! Sadly, 99.9% of MJ dancers, will look poor in comparison.

There were a couple on there last time, that were so shockingly bad, I was cringing the whole way through.. yes they were having fun but so were the audience, at their expense

MJ is a fantastic dance but its a 'social dance', not a show dance for a TV audience!

I was going to reply to this thread - but Lory has said everying I wanted to say ............ so very very true

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I also hope that you're wrong . . . but I do think you're right!

Plus, whenever people dance modern jive for show purposes, there seems to be a strong pull exerted by flashy moves - dips, drops, aerials - so that 'exhibition' ceroc starts to look more like 'partner gymnastics to music'...

Thread Information