• No

1 25.00%
  • Maybe

0 0%

Thread: The Twinwood Festival of Swing, Jazz, Jive & Rock n Roll

Blog Entries

The Twinwood Festival of Swing, Jazz, Jive & Rock n Roll

Incorporating the Glenn Miller Festival

I took DT last year and we stayed in a local hotel for one night cos we didn't fancy camping, but this year we have a six-berth motor home and we're taking two of the kids with us from Friday through to Sunday afternoon (it goes on through Monday too, but we have to get back).

I posted this from last year:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    You enter into a big grass arena with food and drink stands, and retro/vintage clothes stands and a big stage area for the bands. There's a big outdoor dance area and plenty of space for seating (bring your own).
    Past there, there's a long (outdoor) corridor of more clothes, music and memorabilia stands, as well as NAAFI bars and small museum buildings.
    At the far end is a Marquee (for taster dance lessons during the day and dancing in the evening), followed by another live band area (and dance floor), more stands, food and bars and the Hanger. The hanger includes a dance lesson area for more advanced dancers and the Glenn Miller museum.
    Throughout is lots of vintage cars, military vehicles and period things.
    John Miller isn't the best host, but his stories can be interesting.
    The bands were all fantastic. It seemed to be Rock 'n Roll at the far stage and Swing in the arena.
    We could've spent a fortune on the stalls, but we resisted. There was so much good stuff.
    We bumped into a lady having her hair done in one of the museums and it turned out she was getting ready to get married! They got all done up in 40's gear (including a lovely period dress), went off to the local register office and came back to hang around in all their period wedding gear.

I'd say that less than 50% of people dressed up, so you don't need to, and there were quite a few Modern Jivers there too.
    For anyone who's into Lindy, East-Coast, Rock 'n' Roll, just loves the period costumes or just loves to hear live bands, this is a must.
    They do it every year and now DT and I have had a taster, we'll definitely be going back next year and probably for more than just the day.
    There's single people, couples and families. All kinds go and people dance MJ, Lindy, Balboa, Rock n Roll or just do their own thing that looks like what everyone else is doing.

So, are you going?

Commercial Operator

Re: The Twinwood Festival of Swing, Jazz, Jive & Rock n Roll

Unfortunately it clashes with the Bude Jazz Festival & we're already booked for that.

We've been twice & had a great time on each occassion - even the weather was kind.

Some top bands this year I see -

Mike Sanchez
    Revolutionaires
    Blue Harlem
    Ben Waters
    Laura B
    Ding Dong Daddios
    Swing Commanders

If it wasn't soooo promising a line up at Bude, I'd be really jealous

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Incorporating the Glenn Miller Festival

I took DT last year and we stayed in a local hotel for one night cos we didn't fancy camping, but this year we have a six-berth motor home and we're taking two of the kids with us from Friday through to Sunday afternoon (it goes on through Monday too, but we have to get back).

So, are you going?
    Yup, I'm hoping to go, need to book up a hotel - any ideas Gav - going with my mate Shirls from Brighton

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Yup, I'm hoping to go, need to book up a hotel - any ideas Gav - going with my mate Shirls from Brighton
    We stayed at the Bedford Swan, which was very nice and there were quite a few other people dressed up for the festival.

Look forward to seeing you there.
    x

Commercial Operator

Bedford travelodge is pretty handy and cheap - watch out for those £19 rooms for late August that may become available in the next few weeks.

Sainsburys just down the road from the lodge is good for a cheap breakfast

Blog Entries

Still going Lynda?

The kids have found something better to do for the weekend, so it'll just be DT and I after all.

The weather isn't looking too good for the weekend. It's not going to be as nice as last year, that's for sure.

Luckily we have a camper van rather than a tent. I will also be packing my wellies, waterproofs and a flask.

Still going Lynda?
    no, but only sad cors I will be missing you two - I didn't know Camp Savoy was on when I posted that comment - CS is the best Lindy weekender of the year.

I am going to LUX on Saturday and Camp Savoy on Sunday (taking the dry options) - they are both fantastic weekenders and very different, I am sooooooooo looking forward to the weekend

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Commercial Operator

I am going to LUX on Saturday and Camp Savoy on Sunday (taking the dry options) - they are both fantastic weekenders and very different, I am sooooooooo looking forward to the weekend
    How'd you find Camp Savoy? It was the first time I've been... and I found it inspirational. Hands down the best UK camp I've ever been to.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    How'd you find Camp Savoy? It was the first time I've been... and I found it inspirational. Hands down the best UK camp I've ever been to.
    No way............... Why didn't you hello I was on the door Sunday evening. I have been part of their crew since the first one, but this year I only did Sunday. Did you do the whole weekend ?

Yes, it is definitely the best UK Lindy camp, you dont get better than Ryan & Jenny and I just love Mike & Evita, such lovely people.

Really upset I couldn't do Twinwood too, most of my swing friends were there, which meant that Camp Savoy was a little low on numbers - but still good value for money.
    Last edited by Minnie M; 1st-September-2010 at 03:06 PM.

--ooOoo--

Really upset I couldn't do Twinwood too, most of my swing friends were there, which meant that Camp Savoy was a little low on numbers - but still good value for money.
    Despite the weather, which was mostly awful, we had a really lovely time at Twinwood. We bumped into lots of Lindy buddies that we haven't seen for ages and I spent an absolute fortune (of Gav's money) on vintage & retro clothes, shoes and accessories.

On Sunday night I had an orgasmic "wow" lindy dance with a guy called Paul. I could have watched him dance all night, he was amazing! Never seen him before but I'll be looking out for him in future.

The whole camper van experience was great fun, but I was glad to be back in my own bed on Sunday night...2 nights was enough for me.

Commercial Operator

No way............... Why didn't you hello I was on the door Sunday evening. I have been part of their crew since the first one, but this year I only did Sunday. Did you do the whole weekend ?
    I only read this thread after getting back, so I didn't know it was you on the door

Yep - did the whole weekend - workshops and all, and my feet are still sore - that band on Sunday was absolutely stunning. Shame you missed the Saturday cabaret - it was almost worth going to the camp just for that.

Yes, it is definitely the best UK Lindy camp, you dont get better than Ryan & Jenny and I just love Mike & Evita, such lovely people.
    Mmmm. First time I'd encountered Mike and Evita, and next time cannot come quickly enough. Great workshops.

From a punter's perspective, I've no complaints about the numbers - the atmosphere didn't suffer for it at all. It is a shame about the clash though, as quite a few from our scene went to Twinwood, rather than being able to do both... but at least we get that option next year.
    Last edited by straycat; 1st-September-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Blog Entries

It is a shame about the clash though, as quite a few from our scene went to Twinwood, rather than doing both... but at least we get that option next year.
    Which implies that dates for Camp Savoy are set for 2011? Do tell...

Commercial Operator

First weekend of August (I think)

Blog Entries

First weekend of August (I think)
    Bugger, I think I may be otherwise engaged on that weekend.

It will be the first weekend in August, as per the previous CS events. which had caused a minor problem in the past as it didn't give much time (and rest) for those doing Herange.

Loads of people have already put down deposits for it, I am sure 2011 will be a sell-out.

There are a few great lindy dancers called Paul (mine is Paul Youngman, an ex MJ dancer, he is very very smooth, also great at Balboa)

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Despite the weather, which was mostly awful, we had a really lovely time at Twinwood. We bumped into lots of Lindy buddies that we haven't seen for ages and I spent an absolute fortune (of Gav's money) on vintage & retro clothes, shoes and accessories...
    If you loved Twinwood, you must get to Hepcats in Suffolk - great band line-up and a mix of Lindy & 40's dancers. It's not till March which will give Gav a chance to save up for you to spend his money again

--ooOoo--

There are a few great lindy dancers called Paul (mine is Paul Youngman, an ex MJ dancer, he is very very smooth, also great at Balboa)
    Yep, that sounds like him...best balboa I've ever seen. Quite a short fella, slim, in his forties I'd guess.

Minnie, our wedding is on 6th August. Does that mean you won't be able to come if you're away on a lindy weekend?

Yep, that sounds like him...best balboa I've ever seen. Quite a short fella, slim, in his forties I'd guess........
    Yes, that does sound like Paul Youngnman, known him for years, he must be late 30's early 40's - saw him a couple of months ago, and was going a bit grey which made him look older.

Minnie, our wedding is on 6th August. Does that mean you won't be able to come if you're away on a lindy weekend?
    Wow - didn't realise I was on the guest list, THANK YOU - gotta get my priorities right (will have to do both )

--ooOoo--

Commercial Operator

If you loved Twinwood, you must get to Hepcats in Suffolk - great band line-up and a mix of Lindy & 40's dancers. It's not till March which will give Gav a chance to save up for you to spend his money again
    Saw a leaflet for that at Bude Jazz Festival this week - I can't believe how strong the line up is for that event, so we will be considering booking for that even though it's just about the worst place to get to!

Thread Information