Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Start a dance?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How to Start a dance?

This is taken out of context from another beginners thread but I think its an interesting one

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    how to start the actual dance,
    Well for a start, there's no right or wrong way

But, there are different ways/styles

In my experience, most beginners start off with some sort of 'arm jive' or 'in and out' for the first few beats and I think this is a good idea, as it gives you both a chance to 'feel the rhythm', get on the same beat and going the same way... and that's a good thing
    Also, if I start dancing with a beginner and feel his struggling to find the beat, its easy for me to 'help him' find the beat, of he's doing one of the above.

But as the lead becomes more experienced, they'll start to be able to hear and pickup the beat almost instantly and the dance can almost start, at the point he's makes eye contact with a partner, even if the lady's still in her chair!

Every movement from then on, can be part of the dance.. the way he walks to collect her, the way he leads her to the floor, even dodging other couples can be made part of the dance.

The main thing is, it should be fun! OR very serious and passionate (in the case of Tango )

Lost of the guys I know, have developed their own unique start, some lead me into a travelling return, some start in 'close hold'

Question for the leads - do you have a signature move to start?

And question for the follows, is there any thing you really like or really hate about 'starting' dances?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: How to Start a dance?

I 9/10 start jive from close hold WCS starter step style. Looks alot nice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    some start in 'close hold'
    As a follower dancing with a male lead, I prefer to start in a close hold, even if it's someone new.

As a beginner female lead, I'm starting with an Arm Jive. I don't want to risk upsetting a lady by close holding them, although I might be brave and start experimenting with my "dance start" with lady dancers that I know.

Blog Entries

If you sit and watch for a while you can very quickly see that leaders tend to always start the same way, or at most only vary it 2 or 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    As a beginner female lead, I'm starting with an Arm Jive. I don't want to risk upsetting a lady by close holding them, although I might be brave and start experimenting with my "dance start" with lady dancers that I know.
    I've been leading for longer and I still find myself starting with an in and out or arm jive...usually I lead in a class and therefore I'm dancing with beginners/unknown partners; by using an in and out i can gauge their tension and whether they're going to follow or try and do their own thing.

If I'm leading at a freestyle night, it's usually with a friend for a bit of fun, so we're usually chit chatting away - I couldn't tell you for definite which move i'd start with, but I'd imagine probably an in and out type more, or a travelling return.

As a follower it wouldn't bother me what the start move was, as long as the leader has found enough space on the floor and let me stand upright before throwing me into some complicated flashy move. I reckon, start simple and get a good connection between you, then you're ready to work out where to go from there.

This is taken out of context from another beginners thread but I think its an interesting one

Well for a start, there's no right or wrong way

But, there are different ways/styles

In my experience, most beginners start off with some sort of 'arm jive' or 'in and out' for the first few beats and I think this is a good idea, as it gives you both a chance to 'feel the rhythm', get on the same beat and going the same way... and that's a good thing
    Also, if I start dancing with a beginner and feel his struggling to find the beat, its easy for me to 'help him' find the beat, of he's doing one of the above.

Yes I agree, with Lory, however I would also like to add, that the Arm Jive is also a very safe start for everyone (which I think is good) as if you are dancing with someone you have not danced with before, you can very quickly feel from their grip, appreciation of the beat etc, how experienced they are, and tailor your dance to suit your partner.

Therefore, If I feel the lady is not that experienced I would stick to safe (not too complicated moves) so the lady enjoys her dance and does not finish the dance feeling she has just been through a washing machine, or her feeling she has not danced well.

No matter what level you are, you should always consider your partner and their current level of dance.

The important thing is, that you should both enjoy your dance together and the lady should not feel like a spare part as the man "poses" in front of the other dancers..

But as the lead becomes more experienced, they'll start to be able to hear and pickup the beat almost instantly and the dance can almost start, at the point he's makes eye contact with a partner, even if the lady's still in her chair!

Every movement from then on, can be part of the dance.. the way he walks to collect her, the way he leads her to the floor, even dodging other couples can be made part of the dance.

The main thing is, it should be fun! OR very serious and passionate (in the case of Tango )
    Nicely put - I like that.

Do I have a signature starting move?...

... perhaps a travelling return and follow them on the step back into a first move/mambo type thingie... but that's kind of my normal linking move instead of the step back that most MJ teaches.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Depends on the occasion...
    In a class, I always start with a small semi-circle and lead them back;
    - it gives my partner a signal that something is going to happen (and time to react)
    - it establishes a connection with my partner
    - i can establish when to step back so we are in sync (since there is generally no music)

In a workshop I normally lead into a move without much preperation;
    - we both know what to expect and when to expect it
    - we already have a connection
    - I can concentrate on the lead into the move rather than preping it with a step back

In freestyle I am normally leading before we have even stepped onto the dance floor;
    - even if there is no physical connection, my partner is moving towards me - I can time this movement and choose to continue it or lead them into something.
    - If I have a hand, then I have a connection, then I can lead from the outset.

The main "trick" about leading a follower from the off is to keep their omentum and direction of travel, then guide them into a turn/sway/walk/... without disrupting the flow or immediatly using a 'block' move.
    from here
    Last edited by Gadget; 25th-March-2010 at 02:52 PM.

As a follower dancing with a male lead, I prefer to start in a close hold, even if it's someone new.
    No better way to start a dance as a follower

As a female lead in the blues room it would be a close hold but not sure what I do in the main it's like driving I just do it

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

always, always start in the "crane kick" position from the Karate Kid film. It shows you mean business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    always, always start in the "crane kick" position from the Karate Kid film. It shows you mean business.
    Brilliant advice. Made me chuckle out loud and spill my tea!

If someone gives me the nod for a dance and the music has started I tend to sort-of-dance towards them because it feels strange/wrong to me just to walk over cold and only start dancing once we join hands.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    I tend to sort-of-dance towards them because it feels strange/wrong to me just to walk over cold and only start dancing once we join hands.
    Me too!

In fact, I'd go as far as to say, I can almost tell what sort of dance I'm going to have but the way to lead walks me onto the floor!

Have you ever had one of those guys who frog-marches you to a given spot, stops abruptly, turns to face you, no smile, grabs both hands and then proceeds to count you in....
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Have you ever had one of those guys who frog-marches you to a given spot, stops abruptly, turns to face you, no smile, grabs both hands and then proceeds to count you in....
    You've beed dancing with Gav again haven't you?

Blog Entries

You've beed dancing with Gav again haven't you?
    So when are we getting the "G1t" button to go next to the "Thanks"?

How to start a dance?

Walk onto the floor -- while the tune is playing!
    Then you can start to "get the beat" while walking -- even before you start dancing Ideally, your partner will automatically follow the tempo of your stride -- so she'll also be in sync with the music.

SpinDr

Quote Originally Posted by spindr View Post
    How to start a dance?

Walk onto the floor -- while the tune is playing!
    Then you can start to "get the beat" while walking -- even before you start dancing Ideally, your partner will automatically follow the tempo of your stride -- so she'll also be in sync with the music.

SpinDr
    I like to do that, but holding her hand.

Closed hold is problematic.

The #1 objective of starting the dance is to establish your space, and ensure the dancers around you know it is your space.

This presents difficulties from closed hold.

As the hopeless beginner struggling with this issue, I'm now kicking myself that I'd never even considered the walk onto the floor the time to start the rhythm.

In terms of which move, I'm experimenting with a few still to see what works best. However, the issue isn't so much "what do I do?" it's "when do I do it?"

I can't seem to find the beat, then lead my partner into any move in time to the beat. I need to get 3-4 beats into the move (or for quicker moves, into the second move) before I'm moving properly in time to the music, then a lot of partners take a little longer to find the timing I'm using and use it to follow. So we're nearly halfway through a song before we're really dancing.

Some of the better dancers out there will realise I'm struggling and wriggle to a beat that I can then pick up on and adjust to myself. That's probably the wrong way round but better than me just ignoring the music

Pity the next lady that dares freestyle with me, I quite fancy leading her by the hand onto the floor then drawing her into a travelling return to get started. This could go fantastically wrong

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    Pity the next lady that dares freestyle with me, I quite fancy leading her by the hand onto the floor then drawing her into a travelling return to get started. This could go fantastically wrong
    Sounds like a excellent plan. What could go wrong.

To look extra advanced why not lead a few travelling returns before you take your first step, and then follow the follower.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    The #1 objective of starting the dance is to establish your space, and ensure the dancers around you know it is your space.
    I'd love to see that working at Hammersmith!

Thread Information