Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Site Critique

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Site Critique

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Does anyone else the the irony of a person whose eyesight is so poor that they can't see their mobile screen, looking up car breakdown services?
    well, yes, but one criticism at a time if i looked at the big picture i wouldnt be wasting my time on here in the first place

good vision is 20/20 , anything less is partial sight.

There are too many products designed by 20 years olds for 20 year old sight.

The fact that we are discussing motorists might be a clue to the half-brained that I was not discussing the almost blind. I don't have time to be facetious or precise, I am trying to help.

Useful tool

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post

There are too many products designed by 20 years olds for 20 year old sight.

The fact that we are discussing motorists might be a clue to the half-brained that I was not discussing the almost blind. I don't have time to be facetious or precise, I am trying to help.

Useful tool
    Then if they are driving, they should be using glasses

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

No it isn't, and I'm not sure anyone but you thinks so. Following from here

...convention is that partial sight involves:

* A visual acuity from 3/60 to 6/60 with a full field
    * Up to 6/24 with moderate restriction of visual field, opacities in the media or aphakia
    * 6/18 or better with a gross field defect (e.g. hemianopia) or a marked constriction of the field (e.g. glaucoma or retinitis pigmentosa)

Blindness is legally defined as 'so blind that they cannot do any work for which eyesight is essential'. In practice, this translates into:

* A best corrected visual acuity below 3/60 or 1/18
    * A best corrected visual acuity better than 3/60 but below 6/60 with a very restricted visual field
    the requirement to drive a car ... is that the person [must have vision roughly equal to] 6/10 on the Snellen visual acuity chart
    ...although I don't know what that means.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Then if they are driving, they should be using glasses
    Some people have good long distance vision (eg. can safely spot cars, road signs etc) but poor close-up vision (eg. to read web pages which don't work well on a mobile).
    Love dance, will travel

As far as I can see the business does not do breakdown recovery so the whole debate around smartphone accessibility seems a bit moot. In such circumstances people will be looking for a recovery firm and I'd expect that firm to recommend a local garage.

The site itself looks clean if a little bland IMO. I liked the icons but the rollover on them irritated me and I am not sure why. Lee makes good points about balancing the effort expended in adding functionality against the likely call on such services. Personally I feel if the website is to do anything more than claim its corner in cyberspace I'd like to be able to get quotes for hires/repair work (not necessarily immediately but via the site). I'd expect also that a section for testimonials/references from past customers may help convince people unfamiliar with the business of its trustworthiness and reliability.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    In such circumstances people will be looking for a recovery firm and I'd expect that firm to recommend a local garage.
    ...and then the the garage says it'll take 3 days to fix ('can't get the parts, sir..') so, rather than spoil your holiday, you need a hire car. The hotel you're staying at charges the earth for Wifi so you're looking for hire car websites on your phone...

I think there are probably quite a few situations where something unplanned happens and you need a garage or hire car company but your phone is all you have. So I'd definitely consider phone accessibility.
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I think there are probably quite a few situations where something unplanned happens and you need a garage or hire car company but your phone is all you have. So I'd definitely consider phone accessibility.

but if it's in a little village in the back woods somewhere, how likely is that?

As I said, with these things (esp an unpaid job) weigh it all up. Work out if it's worth putting the effort in for something someone might use.

If they are really that stuck, then they would call directory enquiries.

Think about how your site looks to people with poor sight using phones to search Internet.
    Nice point but I'm more inclined to agree with DS, if you have poor uncorrected eyesite you are unlikely to use a mobile phone with a small screen for internet access.

I have tried to take in to account some accessibility things, by trying to use good contrast in colours and made sure all the images are correctly described in the ALT tags.

Again, work out if it is worth spending the time and effort to do this on such a small site. You may be able to find stats on a control panel with the current webhosts that the current site is using, showing what percentage of browsers have accessed the site in the past.
    It was in the past and there have been rumblings from the hire firm about retrying an online booking system. It's something that would be well and truly beyond my capabilities to write, at most I was thinking of something easier such as a calendar link to show car availability.

There are four competing businesses, two offer online bookings but one of these is a redirect to a national hire firm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Little things, but overall it looks good!
    Thanks Rocky, it's going to have an overall check on spelling and phrasing before it's published properly. I think I was in a more flippant mode when I wrote the text of the contact page

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    As far as I can see the business does not do breakdown recovery so the whole debate around smartphone accessibility seems a bit moot. In such circumstances people will be looking for a recovery firm and I'd expect that firm to recommend a local garage.

The site itself looks clean if a little bland IMO. I liked the icons but the rollover on them irritated me and I am not sure why.
    You're right on that one Rob, aside from the AA (who will tow to who they think best at the time) only one garage in the area offers breakdown recovery.

Bland, possibly, I did have in mind trying to put a picture of some sort in the page header but I'm also trying not to clutter things up to much there too. Originally I had the icons as just that but thought I'd try out a small animation to make it a bit more lively, though if it's annoying one too many it may be removed.

... Work out if it's worth putting the effort in for something someone might use...
    Don't make something people might use, like Google, Facebook, Twitter ?

On the www testing is cheap, the tools are free and superb.

People whose car has broken down are going to need a someone to repair it, perhaps a recovery vehicle, perhaps a hire car, taxi service, hotel. If a garage offers service and information about all those things it is going to have a good chance of being the one that gets called. If the garage directs business to local trades there is a good chance they will reciprocate.

Use of phones to access the internet is increasing at a phenomenal rate. Just seek and you will find, on page one at that:

"Lessons taught by top uk teachers Mike Rosa and Lee Bartholomew with a fun freindly atmosphear"

Hmm...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Use of phones to access the internet is increasing at a phenomenal rate. Just seek and you will find, on page one at that:

"Lessons taught by top uk teachers Mike Rosa and Lee Bartholomew with a fun freindly atmosphear"

Hmm...
    Here did you get that from? it's not on our website.

Hmm...

It was on UK Jive....

http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/org-details.asp?OrgID=608

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    Must have been a cached page or something because the spelling is fine on it.

Must have been a cached page or something because the spelling is fine on it.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

he's pointing out that bigdjiver pasted 'freindly atmosphear'

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    he's pointing out that bigdjiver pasted 'freindly atmosphear'
    So whose laughing at the spelling mistakes then..
    Last edited by SPROGGS; 25th-March-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    So whose laughing at the spelling mistakes then..
    oh i know, I got it , but he didn't so I was just clarifying the spelling issue now i realise what your meant, it was all futile

oh i know, I got it , but he didn't so I was just clarifying the spelling issue now i realise what your meant, it was all futile
    I could'nt possibly comment

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Oh I new what he was getting at. I just chose to ignore it. Why derail another thread with a pointless argument? If he wants to start on that one, he is more than welcome to start another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I like the site and can't add more than has already been said other that a little tweak to the language maybe here and there. For example on the contact page it says:

'Fill in the bits below and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.'

Looks good. But agree with Rocky's comment above. Sounds much more professional.

Thread Information