5 62.50%
  • Why not, I have money to burn!!!

1 12.50%
  • What's Blues...?!!?

2 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would U

Would U

really pay two unqualified, with no real accolade, “teachers”, £25 for a blues workshop.....?

Commercial Operator

Re: Would U

Quote Originally Posted by Kazibaby View Post
    really pay two unqualified,
    No!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    No!
    Is there an teaching qualification for Blues dancing then?

If so, who's the examining body?

I wasn't even entirely sure we'd all agreed on what Blues dancing in the UK even was yet

Anyway, for me the answer is no, as I've never felt the need to learn Blues, its just something I do quite naturally
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Personally I wouldn't because Blues is not my thing but if they were teachers I have seen teach before and I felt I liked their style and way of teaching, then I don't see why not.

There are some great teachers and dancers over here who have no interest in qualifications or comps. It doesn't make them less able than those who have done a half hour test or won a small local comp somewhere

On the otherhand, there are some dodgy teachers who have won comps and have qualifications who would be a waste of £25.

really pay two unqualified, with no real accolade, “teachers”, £25 for a blues workshop.....?
    LOL!

Well, do you know what, if they have a style and technique that you aspire to then it may be worth it - although of course dance ability doesn't necassarily equal teaching ability.

There are a number of teachers that have put themselves forward as 'Blues' teachers over the last couple of years, and whereas I haven''t seen them teach, I have see them dance and I wouldn't pay tuppence on that basis...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    LOL!

Well, do you know what, if they have a style and technique that you aspire to then it may be worth it
    Which part of "no accolade" did you fail to read - although it is a big word that isn't commonly used

So who are we having a go at this time

if they have a style and technique that you aspire to then it may be worth it

Totally agree.

although of course dance ability doesn't necassarily equal teaching ability.
    Yes, it's rare to find teachers who you aspire to dance like and who are actually good at teaching. For me this is far more important than any qualifications they have. In fact, qualifications don't even come in to it. I either like their style of dancing and teaching, or I don't.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I wasn't even entirely sure we'd all agreed on what Blues dancing in the UK even was yet
    I agree. There is a whole mystic Meg thing surrounding Blues dancing. It's promoted as something so etherial and unsubstantial that you can't put your finger on it but you will know when you "know" that your doing it.

Speaking personally, I went on the "Swingin' the Blues" day a few years ago and it was all Modern Jive done to interesting music - is that Blues Dancing?

On the subject of qualifications, if Blues Dancing is what I've seen it to be you'd only need a qualification in Modern Jive to be qualified to teach Blues Dancing.

And yes, I'm guessing that someone has an axe to grind about a workshop. But it's not one of mine and it's not about me - thankfully

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Yes, it's rare to find teachers who you aspire to dance like and who are actually good at teaching. For me this is far more important than any qualifications they have. In fact, qualifications don't even come in to it. I either like their style of dancing and teaching, or I don't.

I agree. There is a whole mystic Meg thing surrounding Blues dancing. It's promoted as something so etherial and unsubstantial that you can't put your finger on it but you will know when you "know" that your doing it.

Speaking personally, I went on the "Swingin' the Blues" day a few years ago and it was all Modern Jive done to interesting music - is that Blues Dancing?

On the subject of qualifications, if Blues Dancing is what I've seen it to be you'd only need a qualification in Modern Jive to be qualified to teach Blues Dancing.
    You just don't get it Andy, and that's Ok, you don't have to pretend to be an authority on everything...

As for experience in MJ being a pre-requisite for teaching Blues, I think Simon Selmon and Lucky Skillen would probably disagree with you...

What you continually fail to understand is that as most of the Blues workshop and classes are aimed at people who already Ceroc and MJ it makes sense to use those formats as a base for leading people into the complexities of connection and musicality that typifies a Blues style.
    Last edited by Rocky; 20th-March-2010 at 02:07 PM.

..And yes, I'm guessing that someone has an axe to grind about a workshop. But it's not one of mine and it's not about me - thankfully
    I don't think it so much about axe grinding but more about showing why people in their dreamy glasshouse world shouldn't throw haggis - so I think it's aimed at our skirted 'friend' who started a similar thread knocking Tango teaching and who is now finding what goes around comes around..
    Last edited by Rocky; 20th-March-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Yes, if I personally liked they way they dance blues.

"no real accolade" can still mean that I like the way they dance.

As to how they teach, well, I will not know that until I attend the workshop, I would still hope to pick up some good stuff.

(of course if I do not personally like the way they dance, then no)

Commercial Operator

Well, as I seem to have been implicated...

Well, hell hath no fury like a... like a... like a Rocky with a bit between his teeth.

SO, we have a thread started at about 01.00 am by my ex girlfriend on a night where she publicly stated she had been involved in the partaking of at least 2 bottles of wine just before she unfriended me...

So... is there an axe to grind?!?!? Well, I thought not: I always thought that Kazibaby was bigger than that... So, maybe given experience and the above... just maybe it was a dig at the other person doing the blues workshop. But that can't be the case because she has a Ceroc teaching thingy that she had to go through when she taught for Ceroc in Australia.

So, maybe it is me. So, with training in communication, facilitation and in training I could well be percieved as the weak link here....

So, have your fun. I know the things of which I am capable as a teacher. I know, too, it's a perfectly reasonable question, albeit not pertinent to my blues workshop.

Some noteworthy answers in the thread, so thank you for taking the time, on your birthday, to start the thread.

Happy Birthday, Karyn.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    ...whinge...
    Oooohh... get her....

Nice to see that all that peace and love stuff you preach goes out the window when you're on the receiving end of a bit of a dig..

Commercial Operator

What you continually fail to understand is that as most of the Blues workshop and classes are aimed at people who already Ceroc and MJ it makes sense to use those formats as a base for leading people into the complexities of connection and musicality that typifies a Blues style.
    I don't think I "continually fail to understand" on this forum. I think I'm only just starting to misunderstand

I think Rocky has hit the nail on the head when he talks about "blues style". I think you can dance many dances in a "blues style" it just happens that I've only been to blues workshops which applied the a blues styleee to MJ timing.

Commercial Operator

so I think it's aimed at our skirted 'friend'
    Hey! I have some of those skirts

On second thoughts, it can't be about me. I don't have any "friends"

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    my ex girlfriend
    What's it like to have a girlfriend?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

The thing is though, if workshops were only run buy those 'qualified' and had won contests etc, then there would be very, very few workshops.

Infact, I can only think of Simon and Nicole of the top of my head on a Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    The thing is though, if workshops were only run buy those 'qualified' and had won contests etc, then there would be very, very few workshops.
    Yawnnnnnnnn!!!!

Thread Information