Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: COPD and Why You Should QUIT!

Re: COPD and Why You Should QUIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Ludicrous isn't it .......... it makes me think back, on my way home from school via Brent Station (as it was then), there was a little kiosk and the guy used to sell single cigarettes from an open packet to the kids!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I think you're all deluded - look here for solid evidence that smoking can protect people with parkinsons disease and prevent skin cancer - it also treats tuberculosis and the Carbon Monoxide in cigarettes may alleviate heart attacks and stroke. We can sum it all up with this sentance (which should be on a poster in every doctors office)
    The benefits of smoking tobacco have been common knowledge for centuries. From sharpening mental acuity to maintaining optimal weight, the relatively small risks of smoking have always been outweighed by the substantial improvement to mental and physical health.
    Reminds me of a quote from a batman comic from years ago - the joker had a cure for dandruff, it was called a 'Guillotine'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Reminds me of a quote from a batman comic from years ago - the joker had a cure for dandruff, it was called a 'Guillotine'.

I think everyone knows about lots of good reasons why they should give up smoking, but that doesn't help anyone quit. All that negative stuff evokes negative emotions which drives people back to the fags again instead of away from them.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread wanting to hear about success stories. Focus on the the positive things. Have people pay compliments. I wasn't a heavy smoker but I gave up about 12 years ago. I took on board a few comments a work friend had mentioned when he gave up. For example I would always remind myself how grateful I was that I didn't have to worry about running out of fags that evening or weekend. Or that I didn't have to worry about the shops being shut in case I ran out. I didn't have to worry about having the cash available to pay for the fags. I would make the most of compliments I was paid about how my skin looked fresher, how nice I smelt. The relief of not feeling like a leper if I wanted to smoke in a restaurant or public place, or trying to find an ashtray. But most of all, as the days went by from day 1 of giving up, I couldn't bear the thought of having to go all the way back to 1 again if I succombed and had just one cigarette.

I had a fitness test a couple of weeks ago, and my body's efficiency at transporting oxygen around the body is well above average and is just below the maximum of excellent. I felt pretty chuffed at that. I could never imagine going anywhere near a cigarette now.

Good luck to those getting ready to quit. Only you can tell you when you're ready to do it, then take lots of positive feelings with you - it's the mental addiction that's the difficult one to crack, more than the physical addiction.

M
    Last edited by Mary; 19th-March-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Good luck to those getting ready to quit. Only you can tell you when you're ready to do it, then take lots of positive feelings with you - it's the mental addiction that's the difficult one to crack, more than the physical addiction.
    The difficulty in quitting varies from person to person. And the reasons for quitting are just as variable. People need to find their own personal reasons to quit. If they can't find any reasons to quit they are not ready to do so and will probably be unsuccessful.

For some people the reason might be health for another fear of illness for another it might be the positive aspects of not smoking. Isn't stayng healthy a positive thing? It just depends on how you look at it.

Not lapsing is probably harder than deciding to quit. Part of that is down to will-power, part is down to the support of friends and family and part is down to avoiding the triggers that signal "time for a fag". There's loads of other factors too - quitting is a very complex and difficult thing: people who have done it should be proud of their success!

Never smoked, but I can imagine it would be a challenge to give up - just wanted to wish all the best to those giving up at the mo. Hope you all succeed and end up healthier and richer!

Funnily enough, someone last night was 'smoking' an E-Lite at the venue, and I had a suck. Bloody brilliant, bit of nicotine and vapour to actually draw in and blow out, just ordered a pack if for nothing else than to p1ss people off in pubs who will think it's a real cigarette...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Funnily enough, someone last night was 'smoking' an E-Lite at the venue, and I had a suck. Bloody brilliant, bit of nicotine and vapour to actually draw in and blow out, just ordered a pack if for nothing else than to p1ss people off in pubs who will think it's a real cigarette...
    They sell these on airlines now!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information