View Poll Results: What is the generic name of OUR dance?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Modern Jive

32 94.12%
  • LeRoc

0 0%
  • Ceroc

1 2.94%
  • Other... (please give your suggested name and explanation below)

1 2.94%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The name of OUR dance: MJ ? ceroc ? LeRoc ?

The name of OUR dance: MJ ? ceroc ? LeRoc ?

I would like to suggest the Teaching Qualification thread is split

Re: The name of OUR dance: MJ ? ceroc ? LeRoc ?

from the Qalifications thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

When I first started dancing Modern Jive, I went to my local Ceroc class and was completely unaware of any other name for the dance style.

When I joined the forum, I hadn't a clue what MJ stood for and it was explained to me that the 'dance style' was 'Modern Jive' and 'Ceroc' was the name of the company.
    I was also given this analogy.. Modern Jive is to Vacuum Cleaner, as Hoover is to Ceroc

I also found out that there were a lot of independents teaching MJ and one of the other larger 'Brands' was LeRoc

So now I'm confused

Is LeRoc merely another name for Modern Jive (the style)

Or is there also a 'brand' called LeRoc?

And WHY should people be encouraged to use the term/name 'LeRoc' instead of Modern Jive?

this is John Es reply again fro the qualification thread

Quote Originally Posted by eastmanjohn View Post
    At the time (as I said this is a long time go now) there was no such term as Modern Jive in common use. Ceroc Ltd had just taken the ceroc name and stopped others who were already using it from continuing to do so unless they joined them. The other name being used apart from LeRoc was LeJive (Robert Austin's franchise). So the Federation was encouraging all independents to take up the LeRoc name. Simple as that. There was no intention to restrict anyone's use but instead giving them an alternative that could be recognised nationally.

While I would know that the dancing I do is MJ (given I can do it anywhere not just at ceroc classes, weekenders etc), if people ask me what sort of dancing I do, I would still say ceroc. This is because more people have heard of the name ceroc than they have modern jive, and given that's mostly where I dance it's applicable.

Whenever I mention that I either dance or DJ for MJ I do find that I usually add on ''you know Ceroc'' as I always assume that most people think I am talking Jive as in Rock n Roll.
    And we can't have that can we!!

Ceroc a form of modern jive

Blog Entries

It's a bit like the Hoover/Vacuum Cleaner argument isn't it?
    Most of us know it's MJ, but the term Ceroc is more widely used/recognised.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    It's a bit like the Hoover/Vacuum Cleaner argument isn't it?
    Most of us know it's MJ, but the term Ceroc is more widely used/recognised.

When I first started doing Modern Jive I had never heard of Ceroc. Then I started to hear a couple of people mention this dance class called Ceroc so thought I would give it a try with my partner at the time. Our first impressions when we first arrived were really positive - very efficient and welcoming. Then the class started and we said 'this is Modern Jive'!!

It's testament to the success of the business that people use the term Ceroc in the same way people use the term Hoover and Thermos. Personally it's one of those things that really bugs me - I never say Hoover if I am using the vacuum cleaner - besides, it's a Dyson

M

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Whenever I mention that I either dance or DJ for MJ I do find that I usually add on ''you know Ceroc'' as I always assume that most people think I am talking Jive as in Rock n Roll.
    And we can't have that can we!!
    For someone who is usually certain, I'm undecided about the best name for Modern Jive. Here's my take on each of the names.

Modern Jive - To my mind the problem with this is both of the words, but mostly the word "jive". Firstly the word "Modern", it's seen as the descriptor for the kind of jive we do but it's so obviously not "modern": I explain this at my classes by saying "'Modern" describes the kind of music we dance to, but not just current modern music, but also music that used to be modern, probably played on Radio 1 (or Radio Luxembourg!) when the track first came out". So, I can live with "Modern", but "Jive"? I think there is nothing positive for us about the word. As soon as you say "jive" non-dancers and potential customers get a distinct impression - but it's always the wrong impression! Sometimes they think, as djtrev says, of Rock 'n' Roll: nothing wrong with that, but it's the wrong impression and gives the wrong expectation. And who has had someone do a hand-jive when you've said you do "Modern Jive"? Most of us!

Ceroc - This is a brand name and will never be universally used to describe the dance.

LeRoc - This will never be used by Ceroc and will, therefore, never be used universally to describe the dance.

At the moment "Modern Jive" is used for want of a better name for the dance. But I'd love to be able to call the dance a name that is a single word like "Tango", "Salsa", "Waltz", etc. But, as the poll results suggest, we're pretty much stuck with "Modern Jive".

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The reason this thread was started is because of this quote, from the teaching qualifications thread..

Quote Originally Posted by eastmanjohn View Post
    We also wanted people to be encouraged to use the name LeRoc and so spent time and money to ensure it was free for people to use.
    And Phil asked 'What's wrong with the name 'Modern Jive?'.....

and I wondered the same thing

If its not a brand name, then why should it matter?

I confess, up until it was explained to me over on the other thread, I was seriously (wrongly) under the impression that LeRoc was the name of a company not dissimilar to Ceroc, only on a smaller scale and mainly based in the west, with a few franchises dotted over Scotland and England.

and then it dawned on me.. surely I can't be 'the only person' who thought LeRoc was a brand

And maybe this is what's intended?

Independents alone don't have much scope when it comes global marketing but if they use the term LeRoc, it could appear to new people/punters on the outside that the class using the name LeRoc, is part of a large organisation, similar and competing against Ceroc, which would give them more credibility.

The only problem is, some of the LeRoc name users, are widely acknowledged as being not very good or proffesional and therefore they're in danger of giving the name as a whole a bad reputation.. hence the plea from the federation, for 'users' to become qualified and accredited

I'm not saying any of the above is fact its just 'me' trying to make sense of it all and therefore, I'm quite open to being educated but to me, there surely has to be a motive

If anyone has any better ideas about why certain people might want LeRoc to be known/used as the generic name, rather than Modern Jive, I'd love to hear
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I confess, up until it was explained to me over on the other thread, I was seriously (wrongly) under the impression that LeRoc was the name of a company not dissimilar to Ceroc, only on a smaller scale and mainly based in the west, with a few franchises dotted over Scotland and England.

The only problem is, some of the LeRoc name users, are widely acknowledged as being not very good or proffesional and therefore they're in danger of giving the name as a whole a bad reputation.. hence the plea from the federation, for 'users' to become qualified and accredited

:
    Me too Lory

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    . But I'd love to be able to call the dance a name that is a single word like "Tango", "Salsa", "Waltz", ".
    Mjay

its not a trade mark and the UK domain is taken but for sale at a sensible price

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    I never say Hoover if I am using the vacuum cleaner - besides, it's a Dyson

M
    My Mum still "gets the Hoover out" even though it is a Dyson... and then my Mum "does the Hoovering"

Having taught for many dance companies, I have to change what I say on stage to reflect the company... so I have remember where I am, who I am teaching for, and call the dance.... Ceroc, MJ, LeBop, LeRoc, Mamboroc, LeJive, LeStep, NuRoc...Rather like a comedian trying to remember which town he is in before he makes local jokes...

History is documented on the dance, now, I believe many people do contain the words Modern Jive in thier explaination of the dance.

I have not checked every web site, but I would guess most web sites contain the word "Modern Jive" somewhere... [looking for the perdantics to prove me wrong]

I want the dance to be written about, tweeted about.
    Ceroc
    LeRoc
    modern jive

Twice as many characters, half the size, and size does matter.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I want the dance to be written about, tweeted about.
    Ceroc
    LeRoc
    modern jive

Twice as many characters, half the size, and size does matter.
    How about Roc?

You could write it even larger.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not 100% sure what you two are on about?

Do you mean change the 'generic' name or add yet another name into the pot?

I still think, if we used the name like Mjay or Roc, we'd still end up explaining it as 'modern jive'

And I'm sure if I said I danced Roc.. instead of explaining modern jive is not rock n roll, I'd find myself explaining I'm not a head banger instead!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Roc (Tm) anti-aging skin care

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Roc (Tm) anti-aging skin care
    I think I may have left it a bit too late for this product - is there one to reverse the ageing process?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    . Ceroc, MJ, LeBop, LeRoc, Mamboroc, LeJive, LeStep, NuRoc...
    Brighton Roc

What a strange thread, plus we have been here a few times before - the generic name has been Modern Jive for as long as I have known it (a very long time)

Sometimes people use the brand name of their current teachers but that is down to them and the people they speak to, and if this has become common knowledge, well it goes with the Hoover and Sellotape theory

If we are looking for a new generic name, it should be JIVE57 like Heinz 57 it has so many varieties, plus the fact Modern Jive does steal most of it's moves from other styles and their music

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thread Information