View Poll Results: Is whistling acceptable?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I whistle and I don't care what you think

2 11.76%
  • I don't whistle, but I think it's quite nice when it's done well

3 17.65%
  • I don't whistle and I don't care

1 5.88%
  • I don't whistle and whistlers should have botox injected into their lips so they can't do it anymore

7 41.18%
  • Gav needs to get a new job

10 58.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whistling

Blog Entries

Whistling

<begin rant> There were a number of irritants on the tube this morning; the cougher, the sniffer, humming to my iPod man, I'm going to stick my legs out and get in everyone's way man, I'm going to throw myself into the seat bumping into everyone and not bother apologising woman and so on. However, by far the most annoying was the whistler! Grrrrrr.

This made me think about all the times I've heard whistling and it hasn't bothered me, or I've thought "that's nice" and I realised...
    That hasn't ever happened.
    Even when it's done by someone who's really got at it, it's still irritating and cr4p (also, even when I'm in a good mood ).

So, whistling, is it ever acceptable?

Commercial Operator

Re: Whistling

I can whistle perfectly in tune, and it sounds melodic and beautiful.

In my head.

To everyone else, it sounds like a tuneless mess.

Point of fact, I only know one person who can consistently whistle in tune, in a pleasant fashion. I quite enjoy listening to him whistle. However - I reckon there's a whole lot of people who don't realise that their own whistling is somewhat less than world-class...

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    the cougher, the sniffer, humming to my iPod man, I'm going to stick my legs out and get in everyone's way man, I'm going to throw myself into the seat bumping into everyone and not bother apologising woman and so on.
    You missed a few...

1. The mad woman who wants to talk to you about God or her dead mother/cat/cactus.
    2. The fiddler - do I need to explain? Put it this way, it has nothing to do with violins.
    3. The stinker - like the ones you get at dancing but there's nowhere to hide.
    4. Asian with big rucksack - usually has the whole carriage to himself..lucky bastard!
    5. Student with big rucksack - usually attached to his back, but's he's forgotten it's there and spends the whole journey swinging the bloody thing around.
    6. Jade Goody's Mum
    7. The person who ate 50 garlic cloves the night before and has his face two inches from yours.

My whistling, I know, its awful therefore I won't make anyone listen to it - can't be that mean

Whistling in general I can put up with, except my father's for some reason (to me) it is like nails down a blackboard & its so annoying, winds me up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    You missed a few...
    On the way home yesterday, there was also the 2 suits having a coversation, but one of them is just way too loud. It's almost like he thinks we care how his meetings are arranged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ickle Sue View Post
    except my father's for some reason (to me) it is like nails down a blackboard & its so annoying, winds me up.
    and I bet he knows it too.

Whistling did make a comeback a few years back of course, courtesy of the ever-creative Swedes........and the strangely addictive 'Young Folks'.

(Wasn't it on some advert or other last year?)

Trying to think of other great 'whistling' songs........none spring to mind - except Otis 'Sitting on the dock............'.

Back to the point though.........tube & whistling just don't go well together.....

Back in the olden days - when God was a boy, and I was a schoolgirl, we would sometimes have a bus conductor on our school bus who used to whistle. He was fantastic. I've never heard anyone anyway near as good since.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My Dad's amazing at whistling BUT even so, there's only so much one can take.
    Thankfully, he doesn't do it often!

I can whistle but only when I'm on my own, as if anyone's watching, I start to laugh and then its impossible!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunny View Post
    Back in the olden days - when God was a boy, and I was a schoolgirl, we would sometimes have a bus conductor on our school bus who used to whistle. He was fantastic. I've never heard anyone anyway near as good since.
    Remember Ronnie Ronalde? ( ) No, of course you don't, you little whipper-snapper you !!

But I do and, honest injun*, it sounded better at the time.

* native American

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    My Dad's amazing at whistling BUT even so, there's only so much one can take.
    Thankfully, he doesn't do it often!

I can whistle but only when I'm on my own, as if anyone's watching, I start to laugh and then its impossible!
    Good point. Tickling someone whistling would soon put a stop to it.

I did whistle a bit as a boy then went to one of those whistling parties. Realised I had to stop when someone started handing round the kazoos - thank heavens I got off that slippery slope to oblivion in time.

Any loud activity on a tube is a bit much. Is anything acceptable other than reading or staring blankly into space?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Is anything acceptable other than reading or staring blankly into space?
    Very good question!

I was on the tube with my Mum once (a long time ago) and she told me off for drawing

Why I moaned

Because people might think your drawing funny pics of 'them' and they might get cross!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Very good question!

I was on the tube with my Mum once (a long time ago) and she told me off for drawing

Why I moaned

Because people might think your drawing funny pics of 'them' and they might get cross!
    I once watched an artist making sketches on the train - he was obviously an animator - within 5 minutes he had drawn an amazing caricature of a guy sitting a little further down the carriage as an ogre which was instantly recognisable as this guy. He obviously got inspiration from the "characters" he saw on his commute I'm just glad I was sitting out of his vision...

I'm rubbish at whistling, don't mind listening it if it's done well but the chances of that are very few and far between

Gav - I think option 4 of your poll is still a lttle lenient

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Gav - I think option 4 of your poll is still a lttle lenient
    Yeah, but it's my poll .

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I work in a normally quiet office, but there is a rather annoying person that often whistles. I hate it... Although it is slightly less annoying than "smelly woman" who wears so much perfume every day that i once managed to follow her purely by scent, down two corridors and up a flight of stairs after giving her a 2 minute head start. I didn't tell her this of course, how do you bring that sort of thing up? She obviously thinks it is the right amount of perfume - on days where she comes in "normal" she obviously tops up at some point during the morning and comes in reeking again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Although it is slightly less annoying than "smelly woman" who wears so much perfume every day that i once managed to follow her purely by scent, down two corridors and up a flight of stairs after giving her a 2 minute head start.
    You clearly don't have enough to do at work either!

Annoying people in the office is such a huge subject, we have:

1. Smelly breath man.
    2. Smelly man.
    3. Loud telephone man.
    4. Mr. complain about everyone else being annoying, put on your headphones and slap the desk as if you're drumming!
      But most of the annoyance comes from two particular people:
    5. Mr. Inappropriate/undiagnosed Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

• Smelly breath.
      • Stories about his naked cycle riding.
      • Interrupting you when you're clearly busy to tell you all about the unreasonable woman at his Salsa class.
      • Walking the length of the office as quick as possible to join a conversation he's neither qualified nor welcome to join.
      • Impromptu naff poetry recitals.
      • Hears "flirty" members of staff making suggestive jokes and tries to copy it, offending just about everyone in the vicinity.
      • Inappropriate comments in cards (such as in a Wedding card - "I hope it works out better for you than it did for me").
    6. Mrs. Loud, irritating, tries too hard director's PA:

• Too loud on the phone.
      • Puts on silly voices in normal conversation (including a very patronising one which makes me want to beat her to death with a gun).
      • Replies to her emails out loud!
      • Drums her acrylic nails on the desk.
      • Tries to join in conversations with developers about subjects she clearly has no understanding of.
      • Constant "huffing and puffing".
      • Irritating fake laugh.

I really need to get out of here before I explode.

Gav, can I just say...

I vote you give up counting paper clips for the government and join the fire brigade. I'll even buff your helmet for you if you agree to wear the uniform outside of working hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Mr. Inappropriate/undiagnosed Autistic Spectrum Disorder
    Everyone knows someone like this. If you don't then it's you.

One head security guard whistles A LOT. Sometimes I'll loudly whistle some obnoxious tune over the top of him to drown him out before apologising: "Oh, sorry, did I put you off?"

Generally though, I don't mind people whistling; - as its a sign of happiness !

Thread Information