Thread: Thread ratings

An Eclectic Toaster

Thumbs down Thread ratings

Very few threads seem to show a star rating, Franck. How many people have to rate a thread before it gets one in the thread listing? The feature might be more useful now as the Forum expands.

I accept that if the threshold was lowered to just one or two folk then you would get an inaccurate reading initially, but it would at least encourage folk to use the facility, instead of having to post to a thread saying "this thread's boring..." (I'm lazy :sorry ).

And on a side note, the second column on the thread listing: I know it shows an X in a yellow circle for polls, but what determines any other icons it shows? Is it the "message icon" of the first post? Let's see...

An Eclectic Toaster

Thumbs up

Or is it the Message Icon of the most recent post?

An Eclectic Toaster

Angry

Guess that's answered one of my questions then!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Thread ratings

Originally posted by Stuart M
    Very few threads seem to show a star rating, Franck. How many people have to rate a thread before it gets one in the thread listing? The feature might be more useful now as the Forum expands.
    I agree, and you will be surprised to hear that the threshold is already very low... Can't remember exactly, but I think 3 people need to rate a thread for it to show.
    I think most people aren't aware (yet) that they can rate a thread anonymously. So go on, everyone get voting. If a thread bores you, just give it a low rating, if you love it, give it 5 stars
    And on a side note, the second column on the thread listing: I know it shows an X in a yellow circle for polls, but what determines any other icons it shows? Is it the "message icon" of the first post? Let's see...
    Yes, it is the message icon of the first post in the Thread. So it can't be changed later on (unless you ask me or one of the moderators nicely )

I hope this answers your questions, and I'm off to rate a few threads, including this one.

Franck.

An Eclectic Toaster
    Thanks for answering the questions Franck.

However, I now realise that the ratings don't appear on the search results screen, specifically the "View New Posts" and "View Today's Active Threads" searches.

I use these a lot when accessing the Forum, it'd be useful to see the ratings here, as it would help in deciding what to look at first when I don't have enough time (not a problem at the moment, but it will be!).

Re: Re: Thread ratings

Originally posted by Franck
    II think most people aren't aware (yet) that they can rate a thread anonymously. So go on, everyone get voting. If a thread bores you, just give it a low rating, if you love it, give it 5 stars

Franck. [/B]
    Sorry to appear thick, but where do you go/what do you do, to rate a thread. I've looked, but can't see where you vote?

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Thread ratings

Originally posted by Bardsey
    Sorry to appear thick, but where do you go/what do you do, to rate a thread. I've looked, but can't see where you vote?
    At the bottom of every page of a thread there is a little pull down menu called "Rate this thread". Click on it, and you get a chance to select a rating.

I agree with you Stuart, it would be useful if the rating appeared in the 'new posts' page... I'm not sure if it's possible, though I'll take a look as it would be useful and more of an incentive for people to use the rating system (though it's very basic and might not be that helpful)

Franck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thread ratings

Originally posted by Franck
    At the bottom of every page of a thread there is a little pull down menu called "Rate this thread". Click on it, and you get a chance to select a rating.

Franck.
    Thanks Franck. I had seen it but I must admit, it hadn't registered with me. I'll now start using it!

The Forum Legend
    Having been rating threads now for a little while, it occurs to me that it might be nice if you can change your vote.

Y'know. You find a thread really interesting, so you give it 5 stars, then all of a sudden, Andy and Will start posting there, it becomes really boring, so you find that you have a need to reduce your rating. Or something that's really boring, that you gave one star too, suddenly gets lots of interesting people posting in it (you know, if some of them actually join the forum - I know that currently it's a hypothetical situation), and you want to raise your rating.

Just a thought. Doubt it's possible....

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Or something that's really boring, that you gave one star too, suddenly gets lots of interesting people posting in it (you know, if some of them actually join the forum - I know that currently it's a hypothetical situation), and you want to raise your rating.
    But interesting people do interesting things instead of posting on forums surely?

Anyway, your post re-sparked a thought I had on this the other day - I only recently discovered that there's a link from the "number of posts" column which pops up a window showing which users have posted on the thread and how often. Obviously if Will and Andy McGregor were at the top of the list you would be able to just skip that thread.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thread ratings

Originally posted by Bardsey
    Thanks Franck. I had seen it but I must admit, it hadn't registered with me. I'll now start using it!
    Oi! You lot! Give it a rest! You will be holding up score cards at the side of the dance floor next!

(And this comment gets a rating of...? )

Maybe it's because I am a teacher but I do not want to assess anymore than I already have to!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thread ratings

Originally posted by Forte
    Oi! You lot! Give it a rest! You will be holding up score cards at the side of the dance floor next!
    No, I see no need to change the current word-of-mouth system of publicising our assessments.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thread ratings

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Graham
    [B]No, I see no need to change the current word-of-mouth system of publicising our assessments. [/B

Thread Information