Thread: Apple (itunes) vs Lee (Part 783)

Apple (itunes) vs Lee (Part 783)

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    Now - thats something I would have liked to have won

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8536145.stm

Spending Frenzy via the DJ Booth
    Good but not as good as the person who downloaded the 1st billionth track a wee while ago, he got the $10,000 itunes gift voucher, a macbook pro and an ipod touch

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    About time too. Apple is a few years behind alot of sellers. The cheaper tracks are stil 79p odd. Alot of places sell them for 29p.
    Yes do keep up Lee, they've only been selling them DRM free for the past year

It does. You can use Amazon vouchers for them
    Yup I know you can use Amazon vouchers for everything they have to sell. The point is that itunes only sell software & other downloads, not hardware. It's like complaining that after getting a book voucher if only you'd have gotten a WH Smith voucher instead you could have bought so much more than just a book

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Now that's something I would have liked to have won

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Yes do keep up Lee, they've only been selling them DRM free for the past year
    As you can tell, im not the greatest supporter of the fruit based products, why would I keep up to date with what they are doing. They should have been DRM free from the start.

Yup I know you can use Amazon vouchers for everything they have to sell. The point is that itunes only sell software & other downloads, not hardware. It's like complaining that after getting a book voucher if only you'd have gotten a WH Smith voucher instead you could have bought so much more than just a book
    You miss the point I was making which was that iTunes is still very expensive compared to other music providers.

The main problem i have with iTunes is the way they make exclusivity deals with artists. Knowing they have a very large stake of music sales, they tell artists they will only realease their songs if they are the sole providers.

What will happen once you can only download the top ten albums from iTunes?

Mods I feel this is going to go a bit off track, might be better in a new thread, along the lines of why Lee hates Apple and anything to do with it: Part 387
    As you can tell, im not the greatest supporter of the fruit based products, why would I keep up to date with what they are doing. They should have been DRM free from the start.
    If you're going to criticise something then you should at least know what you're talking about.

You miss the point I was making which was that iTunes is still very expensive compared to other music providers.
    Yes it can be, which is why I buy quite a few from Play.com rather than itunes.

The main problem i have with iTunes is the way they make exclusivity deals with artists. Knowing they have a very large stake of music sales, they tell artists they will only realease their songs if they are the sole providers.

What will happen once you can only download the top ten albums from iTunes?
    Forgive me if I'm wrong here but is it not the record labels that make the deals with the artists? Itunes/Amazon/Play are just distribution channels. If you hate itunes for making exclusive deals then you should be hating Amazon too, it has exclusive versions of albums not available anywhere else

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Mods I feel this is going to go a bit off track, might be better in a new thread, along the lines of why Lee hates Apple and anything to do with it: Part 387
    I don't hate everything Apple. I have worked with Mac's in the past and for web design, I would use one again. Infact, if I didn;t use my pc for gaming, I would poss have a mac.

What I don't like is the way Apple conducts its business and mis-uses it's position. It also grinds on me the way apple fanboys think they have something better than everyone else when all they have is shiney cheap and shoddy made Chinese components.

If you're going to criticise something then you should at least know what you're talking about.
    I know enough.

Yes it can be, which is why I buy quite a few from Play.com rather than itunes.
    Then why use iTunes at all?

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but is it not the record labels that make the deals with the artists? Itunes/Amazon/Play are just distribution channels. If you hate itunes for making exclusive deals then you should be hating Amazon too, it has exclusive versions of albums not available anywhere else
    No you are correct, it is a distribution channel but depending on the artists label and contract, the deal to distribute can be done with either the label or the artist (or managments etc).

Amzon are hardly doing what Apple is doing. Amazon are mearly adding in a bonus mp3 (remixes in the main) if you download the album.

Apple are stopping artists releasing entrire albums by threatening not to distribute for them in future. It's happened to a friend of mine, she has just been signed up to have her first album only available on iTunes, pretty much killing off any chance of her doing ok out of it. Apple are not going to promo her album it will just be available under new releases.

I don't hate everything Apple. I have worked with Mac's in the past and for web design, I would use one again. Infact, if I didn;t use my pc for gaming, I would poss have a mac.

What I don't like is the way Apple conducts its business and mis-uses it's position. It also grinds on me the way apple fanboys think they have something better than everyone else when all they have is shiney cheap and shoddy made Chinese components.
    Fine but you do have a tendency to comment and have a pop whenever an Apple product is mentioned. It's your opinion and that's great, the only reason I said anything before was due to you getting it wrong and implying that all tracks on itunes are 99p when, like other places, they have variable pricing.

Oh and a quick check on Amazon shows that only 5,000 tracks under 34p, so where you'd get the other 219,000 from on Amazon I don't know.

I own a Macbook, an ipod and an iphone, so I dare say in that eyes it makes me a raving Apple fanboy. I bought them because I liked they way they worked and still do. Apple are far from perfect and they do make some overpriced crap, Apple TV springs to mind. Everyone has different taste and needs and finds the right product for them, I often get asked for advice and I don't automatically insist someone gets an Apple product. I ask what they have had or are used to and what they need it for and recommend the best thing for them. Often that will be a Windows based machine.

Oh and out of curiosity do you know of any computer manufacturers that don't use components made in China?

I know enough.
    Evidently not

Then why use iTunes at all?
    Oh I don't know...that funny little thing called choice??? Sometimes I buy from Play, sometimes from itunes even the odd CD still. I usually buy from where I think is a good offer at the time.

No you are correct, it is a distribution channel but depending on the artists label and contract, the deal to distribute can be done with either the label or the artist (or managments etc).

Amzon are hardly doing what Apple is doing. Amazon are mearly adding in a bonus mp3 (remixes in the main) if you download the album.

Apple are stopping artists releasing entrire albums by threatening not to distribute for them in future. It's happened to a friend of mine, she has just been signed up to have her first album only available on iTunes, pretty much killing off any chance of her doing ok out of it. Apple are not going to promo her album it will just be available under new releases.
    You're not the only one who is confused. So did Apple themselves sign your friend up? Was it part of the deal to have her album promo'd on itunes as an exclusive and they changed their mind and have put it just under new releases? If so then yes that's crap behaviour but why not just go elsewhere?

Commercial Operator

It's happened to a friend of mine, she has just been signed up to have her first album only available on iTunes, pretty much killing off any chance of her doing ok out of it. Apple are not going to promo her album it will just be available under new releases.
    What's her name (or band name) & the name of the album?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    What's her name (or band name) & the name of the album?

Marie Capri . There is no album yet, just a single.

Thread Information