Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavenly Dance Shoes - Sandi is retiring...

Heavenly Dance Shoes - Sandi is retiring...

It's the end of and era, Sandi and her husband Larry will be retiring in July this year.

The business is up for sale so it may continue under new ownership, but there are no guarantees.

Last orders need to be placed by May/June this year if you want your Heavenly Dance Shoes made by them.

Me? I think I will be ordering something tango-ish and stripey...

ZW

Re: Heavenly Dance Shoes - Sandi is retiring...

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post
    It's the end of and era, Sandi and her husband Larry will be retiring in July this year.

The business is up for sale so it may continue under new ownership, but there are no guarantees.

Last orders need to be placed by May/June this year if you want your Heavenly Dance Shoes made by them.

Me? I think I will be ordering something tango-ish and stripey...

ZW
    OMG, this is very sad news. Unless there is someone out there who can fill their shoes.................

Seriously, this is very sad news, but I hope they will be very happy in their retirement as they must have worked so hard all these years to keep us fussy buggers happy.

M

I thought they had a 4 year plan for retirement when I was chatting to them last week in the shop as they are coming to Lux in August

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    OMG, this is very sad news. Unless there is someone out there who can fill their shoes.................

Seriously, this is very sad news, but I hope they will be very happy in their retirement as they must have worked so hard all these years to keep us fussy buggers happy.
    M
    They seem to be really happy about retiring. Sandi's main worries seem to be

A. Finding someone to take over
    B. Not letting customers down by giving them time to order their last shoes.

So please help her if you can by spreading the word to your non forum and non Facebook dancing friends.

Certainly filling their shoes is a tall order, as there is more to it than selling gorgeous shoes. They actually make every single pair of HDS by hand on the premises! It's not looking promising at the moment, so if you know anyone who could be up for it....

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    I thought they had a 4 year plan for retirement when I was chatting to them last week in the shop as they are coming to Lux in August
    Yes there is a plan, I don't know the details but I know they will be winding down the shop over the summer. I spoke to Sandi just now, and she confirmed that their trip to LUX at the Coppid Beach Hotel on the August Bank holiday will be purely to sell whatever stock they have left. No orders will be taken for new shoes at LUX (unless they have found someone to take over).

On the plus side the LUX weekender will be the perfect opportunity to say your goodbyes to Sandi and Larry , collect your last pairs of Heavenlies, and put them straight to work dancing in posh frocks with men in tuxedos.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post
    their trip to LUX at the Coppid Beach Hotel on the August Bank holiday
    Lol, I thought one gratuitous plug deserved another.....

Phew, I got in just in time then - my 11th pair of their shoes arrived last week! Hope they have a happy retirement!

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to take over...............

Elaine

Great news ........... My very good friend Colin Johnson, hand makes shoes in the same way as Heavenly for the swing scene and he said he is open to the idea of moving towards other styles

If you are interested, please check out his web site and contact him direct.

I definitely recommend him, the quality of his shoes is excellent.

I shall be going to the Hep Cats swing weekend in Suffolk in two weeks time, he has a stall there so will be able to chat to him more about it

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Great news ........... My very good friend Colin Johnson, hand makes shoes in the same way as Heavenly for the swing scene and he said he is open to the idea of moving towards other styles

If you are interested, please check out his web site and contact him direct.....
    no response to my post thought you guys would be pleased I found a replacement

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Minnie, you only said he was open to the idea, and you were going to have a chat to him about it. I'm sure you will keep us informed of his response.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Minnie, you only said he was open to the idea, and you were going to have a chat to him about it. I'm sure you will keep us informed of his response.

M

True

--ooOoo--

Thanks Minnie.
    Spoilt for choice-I just need to save some pennies now.

If you are interested, please check out his web site and contact him direct.

I definitely recommend him, the quality of his shoes is excellent.

I shall be going to the Hep Cats swing weekend in Suffolk in two weeks time, he has a stall there so will be able to chat to him more about it
    Does he cater for awkward feet...? As in I have different sized feet, weak ankles and need a higher heel in one than the other

I have just tracked down a shoemaker in the Borders.. - Very comfortable shoes, but as he is A) more expensive (OK for long lasting work shoes though, I suppose) and B) doesn't do dance shoes (Daft or what??) I will always investigate other options with care..

I could always treat myself to dance shoes while on holiday

Cheers WT

Blog Entries

I popped in this lunchtime.

I'm going to miss that aspect of it - the chance to have a natter & a gossip, and to get to peek at & touch all the different fabrics, and actually discuss what colours & fabrics the shoes will be. Whether to have glitter? Whether a different fabric I hadn't noticed would be better? What about a different strap? It's all part of it! That's what I'll miss.

However, Sandie is really looking forward to retirement after so many years of hard work - it would be churlish & selfish of me to moan too much!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Whether to have glitter?
    This question is, of course, rhetorical? As is mine.

I'm sure we all wish Sandie a wonderful retirement - we'll just miss her, her shop and her shoes!

A silly thing - I'd always planned, if I ever got married, to get a pair of Heavenlies made for my wedding shoes. No plans to get married in the next few months so won't be able to now...

(Getting married just to get the shoes I want is a bit drastic - even for me!)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I'm sure we all wish Sandie a wonderful retirement - we'll just miss her, her shop and her shoes!

A silly thing - I'd always planned, if I ever got married, to get a pair of Heavenlies made for my wedding shoes. No plans to get married in the next few months so won't be able to now...

There is such a thing as a bottom drawer. I think yours deserves a pair of Heavenly Dance Shoes. Of course you have to make a few decisions regarding colour - but you can always get a wedding dress to match whatever shoes you buy.

Need a groom? Let's have a pact. If I'm single when you hit 40 ...

.. I'm on one knee, honest

Who needs an excuse to get Heavenlies made? Although if I had some made for a special occasion it'd be so tempting to wear them straightaway!

It'd be interesting to know who has worn Heavenlies to their wedding - I know LemonCake and I did, and LM has hers ready for her upcoming nuptials - anyone else??

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    There is such a thing as a bottom drawer. I think yours deserves a pair of Heavenly Dance Shoes. Of course you have to make a few decisions regarding colour - but you can always get a wedding dress to match whatever shoes you buy.
    I really haven't thought about it, but would probably go for something ivory and simple, so I suppose I could roughly plan the shoes... Would love to know what style and fabrics others who have had Heavenlies for their weddings got, maybe I should get a pair for my bottom drawer... after all, you never know what's round the corner!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Need a groom? Let's have a pact. If I'm single when you hit 40 ...

.. I'm on one knee, honest
    Sounds like a plan ...but its such a long way in the future...

Commercial Operator

That's why I chose 40. More than ten years away

Now, is it too early to go shopping for some shoes for the wedding

Even though Sue has had many pairs, I've never had a pair of heavenlies for myself. But I'm going to get some. I need at least two pairs. One for dancing and one for standing next to Lynn at the altar

.. and now I think about it another pair for teaching, and a formal pair, and a pair to go with that zoot suit, and a pair ...

.. call the bank!

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    Who needs an excuse to get Heavenlies made? Although if I had some made for a special occasion it'd be so tempting to wear them straightaway!

It'd be interesting to know who has worn Heavenlies to their wedding - I know LemonCake and I did, and LM has hers ready for her upcoming nuptials - anyone else??

Me, me, I did!
    I may be wrong, but I think Twirly may be planning to wear Heavenlies to her wedding too?

I really haven't thought about it, but would probably go for something ivory and simple, so I suppose I could roughly plan the shoes... Would love to know what style and fabrics others who have had Heavenlies for their weddings got, maybe I should get a pair for my bottom drawer... after all, you never know what's round the corner!
    I wore a traditional Asian wedding outfit in red and gold, so my Heavenlies were smooth gold glitter. They have had a fair bit of wear since then, too

Thread Information