Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Champs Double Trouble Named Track

Ceroc Champs Double Trouble Named Track

For double trouble only Ceroc have announced that the track has been decided in advance. This gives the opportunity to make the category a showcase allowing for choreography.

From Cerocchamps website
    The track that will be used for all the Heats and the Final is ‘Boys & Girls’ by Pixie Lott… have fun with it!

This does not affect me as we have retired from double trouble competition this year. If anyone is unprepared then they would be at a major disadvantage.

I am against the idea having worked for three years to develop a style that is 100% leadable and with some big moves.

I would prefer to see the idea scrapped and a track chosen with breaks and encouraging marks for interpretation and musicality.

Steve

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Ceroc Champs Double Trouble Named Track

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    The track that will be used for all the Heats and the Final is ‘Boys & Girls’ by Pixie Lott… have fun with it!
    I would prefer to see the idea scrapped and a track chosen with breaks and encouraging marks for interpretation and musicality.
    Are you saying that you don't think that track has breaks? I'd argue that there is definitely some scope for interpretation and musicality in that particular track, and there is at least one break in there too.

(Which isn't to say I necessarily agree with the idea of a choreographed round compared to having an unknown track and leading and interpreting it as you go along.)
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

This does not affect me as we have retired from double trouble competition this year.
    I retired some time back, undefeated in the Ceroc Champs Double Trouble Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Perhaps you will be seen double trouble west coasting at some stage

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Are you saying that you don't think that track has breaks? I'd argue that there is definitely some scope for interpretation and musicality in that particular track, and there is at least one break in there too.

(Which isn't to say I necessarily agree with the idea of a choreographed round compared to having an unknown track and leading and interpreting it as you go along.)
    I mean the kind of track with enough breaks etc to highlight routines and choreography and discouraging choreography and big moves for the sake of big moves. In fact, the opposite of the choice made.

I think the better choice for a named track would be the aerial category.

Steve

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I mean the kind of track with enough breaks etc to highlight routines and choreography and discouraging choreography and big moves for the sake of big moves. In fact, the opposite of the choice made.

I think the better choice for a named track would be the aerial category.

Steve
    I can see why they have done it but I agree that it would put peole at a disadvantage and also it would better suit aerials.

What would also happen if there was enough entries to do more than 1 round?

I can see why they have done it but I agree that it would put peole at a disadvantage and also it would better suit aerials.

What would also happen if there was enough entries to do more than 1 round?
    The addition of the heats last year was an improvement. This gave an opportunity to practice, highlight routines and filter to three triples making it easier to judge the final.

From what I understand it is the same track for the heats and the final.

Interesting, I have done both, freestyled triples and done triples to a set piece of music as part of a team routine.

Both are fun in their own way.

I guess the answer is to go with it and see what comes out.

The addition of the heats last year was an improvement. This gave an opportunity to practice, highlight routines and filter to three triples making it easier to judge the final.
    They have done heats in the past. From an organisation point of view, having a heat, filters out the top 3 for the "evening show".

There are only 5 "triples" so only one heat, but it does give one a chance to practice as you say, but going through ones head is, do enough, but not too much, save something for the final.

Of course, with a set piece of music, you simply repeat your corrie.

The Forum Legend

Not happy. In fact, might now consider pulling out of the double trouble....

With one person living in Leeds, one in Nottingham, and one in London, of the team that we were thinking putting in, it means that practise time will be very limited, and definitely not enough to put together a choreographed routine like some people will be able to do.

Wouldn't you have had to defend your title in order to merit the use of the word 'undefeated'?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Wouldn't you have had to defend your title in order to merit the use of the word 'undefeated'?

NO!!!! Shhhhhhhh !!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Not happy.

With one person living in Leeds, one in Nottingham, and one in London, of the team that we were thinking putting in, it means that practise time will be very limited, and definitely not enough to put together a choreographed routine like some people will be able to do.
    Snap - we have the same senario as we have a new 3rd- we always prided ourselves on the fact that everything we did on the dancefloor was 100% freestyle and enjoyed not knowing what type/speed of track we were going to get!

It would be interesting to see if a non corried routine won.

I am sure both Trampy and DD+ could put on a good show, even if not corried.

My preference is also non corried, mainly coz last time I did Triples in the Ceroc champs I had 1 week with my partners prior to the champs = about 2 or 3 sessions.

Enough time to work out the moves we will do, the girls teach me the moves they like and I teach the girls the moves I like, but a challenge to corrie in that time, not impossible though.

I do remember at Club Med Bali having 2 days to corrie a routine, for a stage show, can be done, but a bit of a brain strain.

As to Lee... "undefeated" - bring it on this year, take on the Tramp and DD+ , let's see what you have got

Where's the logic in this decision?

If you know what track you're going to dance to, you can choreograph a nice dance routine of three people with little or no lead and follow. The whole point of Double Trouble – leading two people at the same time – is lost.

Bonkers.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Where's the logic in this decision?

If you know what track you're going to dance to, you can choreograph a nice dance routine of three people with little or no lead and follow. The whole point of Double Trouble – leading two people at the same time – is lost.

Bonkers.

I presume whoever has made the decision believes it will improve that category. It may be that they've not been impressed with the general standard of that category in recent years.

Personally when I have seen the triples category it has struck me as a lot like the Aerials category - not particluarly strong on interpretation of the track being played and a fair amount of filler between a handful of pre-prepared big moves to grab the judges attention. I don't think the decision to name a track ahead of time will significantly change the general performances in this category but I do accept that it may place partnerships with less time/opportunity to practice at a disadvantage.

The whole point of Double Trouble – leading two people at the same time – is lost.

Bonkers.
    If the whole point of Double trouble is leading 2 people at the same time, then it folows that the whole point of dancing with one follower, is leading 1 person.

Therefore we should not have any corried showcases...

Although leading two people at once can be seen as harder than "standard" dancing, the same could be said of ariels. Therefore I see no reason not to have corried double trouble or corried ariels in exsistance.

As to whether corried double trouble, to the same piece of music will go down well in a Champs... I guess we will find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    If the whole point of Double trouble is leading 2 people at the same time, then it folows that the whole point of dancing with one follower, is leading 1 person.

Therefore we should not have any corried showcases...
    Showcases are clearly different from freestyle dancing, and so rightly are in a different category of competition. This DT category wants to mix them.

In my mind "Double Trouble" is not the same as "Showcase featuring three dancers".

Although leading two people at once can be seen as harder than "standard" dancing, the same could be said of ariels. Therefore I see no reason not to have corried double trouble or corried ariels in exsistance.
    Isn't "corried ariels" really the same thing as a showcase? Every MJ showcase routine I've seen has featured a fair number of aerials, from what I remember.

As to whether corried double trouble, to the same piece of music will go down well in a Champs... I guess we will find out...
    Indeed.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

As to Lee... "undefeated" - bring it on this year, take on the Tramp and DD+ , let's see what you have got
    I would but that would mean coming out of jive retirement

Showcases are clearly different from freestyle dancing, and so rightly are in a different category of competition. This DT category wants to mix them.

In my mind "Double Trouble" is not the same as "Showcase featuring three dancers".
    Agreed.

If they are giving you the music up front for DT, IMHO, they are creating a showcase DT category.

In the past, and hence maybe why in your mind, DT has been freestyle and therefore not "Showcase featuring three dancers".

I am not sure they are saying "we want to mix it", I think they are saying, "here is the music, corrie something good for us". Yes different.

By giving music up front, you are inviting "showcase to our music" - rather like a ballroom comp.

If people want to "wing it" and freestyle in a showcase category, then, if they are good enough they might win.

Isn't "corried ariels" really the same thing as a showcase? Every MJ showcase routine I've seen has featured a fair number of aerials, from what I remember.
    Yes agreed.

Some comps restrict how many ariels in a showcase, and hence some comps have a seperate ariels showcase section.

For example, Ceroc Australia one year, had 2 showcase categories, one without ariels and one with.

I would but that would mean coming out of jive retirement
    Indeed, I was of course being cheeky.
    It would also put the "undefeated" claim "on the line".
    I would pay good money to see you go head to head with Trampy on a DT showdown

(I have not seen Spiky Steve or DD+ do DT, I am sure you are both very good and might like to give Lee a "run for his money" on the "undefeated" claim)

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Indeed, I was of course being cheeky.
    It would also put the "undefeated" claim "on the line".
    I would pay good money to see you go head to head with Trampy on a DT showdown

(I have not seen Spiky Steve or DD+ do DT, I am sure you are both very good and might like to give Lee a "run for his money" on the "undefeated" claim)
    Lol so was I.

I suck at double trouble.

Thread Information