Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermath Threads – Do you enjoy them and who should be allowed to post

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Aftermath Threads – Do you enjoy them and who should be allowed to post

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Time will tell but I wont be surprised to see the hotel weekender take more of a preference.
    Yes, I agree, I think hotel based weekenders will definitely start to grow in popularity, as they'll attract those who've never fancied slumming it. as well as the hardcore, who simply like to attend 'every' weekend going!

I can't think of many reasons (apart from the price) that people wouldn't fancy a hotel, over and above a camp site, especially in the winter months

But I do think its a shame that Metropolis and LUX were only a week apart, as I'm sure there would have been a few dancers, who would have liked to attend both, had they been spaced out more!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Just to throw my hat in to the ring with the whole facebook thing

I use facebook alot for the promo of my events and classes, however, I only send messages and event invites to people who have joined the group for our dance club.

If people who live 200 miles away have joined a group called "Monday night classes in East Sussex", should I have to worry about wether they live local or not? The whole point of starting a group is to have them contacts who are class members without having to trawl through the 900+ friends list individualy mailing people.

I would say the first step you should take to cut down spam is going through your groups and fan pages and only joining the classes/groups you actually WANT mail from.

Secondly, as most of you know, Facebook changed recently as phase 1 of it's overall change. Soon messages from groups etc will not show in your inbox, but in the dashboard that is now on the left hand side.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    If people who live 200 miles away have joined a group called "Monday night classes in East Sussex", should I have to worry about whether they live local or not? The whole point of starting a group is to have them contacts who are class members without having to trawl through the 900+ friends list individually mailing people.
    I think that it's fair enough to email people if they've joined a group of that sort, although it's slightly annoying that once you've been invited to join a group you seem to get the emails even if you haven't confirmed your membership yet.

It's the people that invite you to become friends and then use that to email you that are more annoying.
    Love dance, will travel

Blog Entries

Back to the whole aftermath thread thing...

I've been thinking of why the forum is IMO 'better' than facebook and its simple because people from 'all angles' have access to it, can read the reviews and contribute if they so wish.

This is not the case with FB

This IMO, gives the punter power!

Smart organisers, read the reviews and use the feedback to give their customers an improved service!

Therefore, the punter is in a win win situation!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    I use facebook alot for the promo of my events and classes, however, I only send messages and event invites to people who have joined the group for our dance club.

If people who live 200 miles away have joined a group called "Monday night classes in East Sussex", should I have to worry about wether they live local or not? The whole point of starting a group is to have them contacts who are class members without having to trawl through the 900+ friends list individualy mailing people.

I would say the first step you should take to cut down spam is going through your groups and fan pages and only joining the classes/groups you actually WANT mail from.
    I don't join any groups. I block all applications the first time someone tries to get me onto them. And I have previously deleted 'friends' on the basis that they send me too much spam. And I don't do anything that encourages spam. I'm not talking about groups - yeah, you join those, then you deserve what you get.

I'm talking about 'friends' who have no contact with me, other than to send me event invitations and advertising for their events that I am not going to attend because they're hundreds, or thousands!, of miles away.

And I did recently cut down on the spam. I deleted all the people to whom the above paragraph refers

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Back to the whole aftermath thread thing...

I've been thinking of why the forum is IMO 'better' than facebook and its simple because people from 'all angles' have access to it, can read the reviews and contribute if they so wish.

This is not the case with FB

This IMO, gives the punter power!

Smart organisers, read the reviews and use the feedback to give their customers an improved service!

Therefore, the punter is in a win win situation!
    I like facebook but on a completely different level to the forum. For me the forum is about dance primarily and obviously the people we relate to on the forum are dancers so have the understanding of the ‘dance effect ‘on your life. On facebook however, my friends come from a diverse background and many of them with no interest or understanding of the world of dance. Facebook is great for instant chat and for me scrabble and for storing my photos (which I have learnt my lesson after losing 5 years worth of photos including my son’s graduation, when my old computer crashed/died).

For me though facebook could not compete with the forum for discussion.

Now that the link has been restored it occurs to me that the deciding factor for me to attend a weekender is purely down to the accomodation.
    This is why reviews are helpful. There are lots of weekenders to choose from now and we each have to apply personal criteria as to which we choose. If accomodation is the reason (and I can understand that being the case, some folk like nicer accomodation) then reviews help in making those decisions.

Personally a big factor for me is travelling time and ease. So I'm interested in reading reviews of weekenders like Southport and Metropolis because both are close to airports which have low cost airlines operating from Belfast. And even more important to read reviews of events like Camber and Skegness as they aren't as easy to travel to, so I need to decide if the event is worth the extra travelling time and effort.

Please keep the reviews coming, they are some of the most interesting threads on the forum. And thanks to all those who post reviews.

Blog Entries

it occurs to me that the deciding factor for me to attend a weekender is purely down to the accomodation.
    I wouldn't quite go that far, but .
    Having been to a couple of Jump, Jive 'n' Boogie events in hotels on Hayling Island, when we saw the info about Metropolis I knew we would be going to that one.
    I don't have anything against the Pontins and Butlins weekenders, I think they're great, but given the choice I'd stay in a hotel every time.

Without aftermath threads, we couldn't really let others know how strongly we felt about issues like this, could we?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]I like facebook but on a completely different level to the forum.

Facebook is great for ~snip~ storing my photos
    and sharing them

I also love the way you can keep in-touch with your friends, on a very casual basis. It bridges the gap between no contact at all and full on, in your face contact.
    For me though facebook could not compete with the forum for discussion.
    Absolutely

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    And I did recently cut down on the spam. I deleted all the people to whom the above paragraph refers
    I think that's the thing that makes both the Forum and Facebook good.
    On Facebook, I can delete people when I get bored of their constant streams of drivel, advertising or when they just never do anything interesting.
    On the Forum, I can't do that (apart from using the Ignore list and that interupts the flow of discussions); but the Forum takes care of the advertising and some of the other things we don't like for us.

Different tools for different jobs.

But I do think its a shame that Metropolis and LUX were only a week apart, as I'm sure there would have been a few dancers, who would have liked to attend both, had they been spaced out more!
    I think you mean Swish and Metropolis, LUX is at the end of August - and as regards dates, Swish has had roughly the same dates around mid to end of Feb for the last 4 years so it was the Metropolis dates which clashed - although, to be fair it's likely that they would have had a very limited choice of available dates to choose from.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I think you mean Swish and Metropolis, LUX is at the end of August - and as regards dates, Swish has had roughly the same dates around mid to end of Feb for the last 4 years so it was the Metropolis dates which clashed - although, to be fair it's likely that they would have had a very limited choice of available dates to choose from.
    Opps, yes I made a mistake, I did mean Swish!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    This is why reviews are helpful. There are lots of weekenders to choose from now and we each have to apply personal criteria as to which we choose. ~snip~

Please keep the reviews coming, they are some of the most interesting threads on the forum. And thanks to all those who post reviews.
    Phew, I think its now safe to say, we're all in agreement that reviews are a good thing

But I'm still concerned that it needs to be clear to ALL, if there's a connection between the poster and the event! As it does have a baring on their view point!

I know I'll probably be accused of being pedantic but I insist on a even playing field!

AFAIC I would like it if all posters were upfront about their position. For example on the Metropolis thread, Snow white (Sara White) stated right at the beginning of her review that she was teaching there. Then she gave a concise review from her perspective, which was both enjoyable and informative!

I think there's a lot of people who read this forum, who're not 'in the know' and therefore, when they read a glowing review about the DJ's, it might make a difference to how much credence they pay to that part of the review, if they then found out that the poster, employs the very same DJ's for their own events, on a regular basis!

For example...It would be like 'Tiger' (who runs Berko on Sundays) bigging up MarcF at Camber/Southport/Swish, saying he played an amazing set and he's the 'best' DJ etc etc. Yes, he might well believe that but knowing that Marc DJ's for him at Berko on most Sunday's, would have a bearing on how much value I give that part of his review!

This in no way means I wouldn't want Tiger not to post his review, I'd still be very interested in it. I'd just feel better if it was clear to all, the connection he has.

AM I MAKING SENSE????
    Last edited by Lory; 19th-February-2010 at 12:34 PM.

I think you mean Swish and Metropolis, LUX is at the end of August - and as regards dates, Swish has had roughly the same dates around mid to end of Feb for the last 4 years so it was the Metropolis dates which clashed.
    To be fair JA have had weekenders in early Feb for the past 6 years - Scarborough (2 years), SP (2 years), Skegness last year and Manchester.

But I'm still concerned that it needs to be clear to ALL, if there's a connection between the poster and the event! As it does have a baring on their view point!
    Agreed - I'd still like to read reviews of events from people who crew/teach/DJ as they still are useful and interesting feedback - but its good to know their connection so you know their perspective in experiencing the event and writing their review.

I think there's a lot of people who read this forum, who're not 'in the know' and therefore, when they read a glowing review about the DJ's, it might make a difference to how much credence they pay to that part of the review, if they then found out that the poster, employs the very same DJ's for their own events, on a regular basis!
    You're not bitch slapping our Stoke friend again are you... 'cos I think he'd like that..

To be fair JA have had weekenders in early Feb for the past 6 years - Scarborough (2 years), SP (2 years), Skegness last year and Manchester. .
    .. although, to be fair it's likely that they would have had a very limited choice of available dates to choose from.
    Yes, but they weren't hotel based weekends, so not in direct competition, which is what Lory was specifically referring to - and I did qualify my point with my last sentence which you clearly chose to ignore and delete from my quote when you replied...

For example...It would be like 'Tiger' (who runs Berko on Sundays) bigging up MarcF at Camber/Southport/Swish, saying he played an amazing set and he's the 'best' DJ etc etc. Yes, he might well believe that but knowing that Marc DJ's for him at Berko on most Sunday's, would have a bearing on how much value I give that part of his review!
    As a relative outsider on this forum it strikes me that anyone who reads this forum would be 'in the know'.I dont go to weekenders and I am not a regular Utopian,but I am certainly aware of the luuvieness that abounds on this forum for some DJ's;not that I am saying that it might not be warrented;and it is for that reason that I gloss over the DJ and teacher reviews and prefer to give more value to all the other aspects of peoples weekend experiences.
    Last edited by DavidY; 19th-February-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: fixing quotes

Yes, but they weren't hotel based weekends, so not in direct competition, which is what Lory was specifically referring to - and I did qualify my point with my last sentence which you clearly chose to ignore and delete from my quote when you replied...
    I simply deleted it so that I could say 'to be fair' - to highlight that I wasn't stirring and you'd used the same phrase! But certainly, believe I was trying to corrupt your quote if that makes you feel better. And Scarborough was hotel based cos I was there staying in a nice hotel in 2005 and 2006.

I simply deleted it so that I could say 'to be fair' - to highlight that I wasn't stirring and you'd used the same phrase! But certainly, believe I was trying to corrupt your quote if that makes you feel better. And Scarborough was hotel based cos I was there staying in a nice hotel in 2005 and 2006.
    Yes, but the Scarborough weekends don't have the dance spaces at the hotel you stay at so it's not all under the same roof and the hotels on offer are only 3 star, so it's not really the same at all is it...

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I have been to Swish, Lux and Metropolis! . The main difference was, with Metropolis being in the city centre, it meant there were other attractions if you got bored of dancing. (A concept that most of you probably can't grasp )
    There is some sort of weekender on most weekends, so you could look on the positive side and say at least they didn't clash.

Ah, that one, we're waiting for confirmation that Ken was not commercially involved. OK?
    What are the rules when a link is made to a review (or anything else for that matter) when the writer of that review etc is also a member of this forum?

Thread Information