Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermath Threads – Do you enjoy them and who should be allowed to post

Aftermath Threads – Do you enjoy them and who should be allowed to post

I really enjoy the general chit chat threads and the game threads but the threads I enjoy the most are the feedback threads, after all this is a dance forum. If I’ve been to the event I like to see how others felt about it if their opinions were similar or completely different to mine and why. If I have not been I like to know how it went and if it would be something that I would enjoy next time. The wider range of opinions you get the more informed judgement one can make.

There has been some discussion on the Metropolis Weekender about who can post a review. As a member of the forum I have no qualms about someone who is a commercial operator giving their opinion as long as they make it clear what their interest in the events were. IMHO a feedback is very different from advertising an event therefore the rules on commercial operators should be different

How do others feel about Aftermath threads and do you think there should be restrictions on who posts

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Aftermath Threads – Do you enjoy them and who should be allowed to post

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    IMHO a feedback is very different from advertising an event therefore the rules on commercial operators should be different

How do others feel about Aftermath threads and do you think there should be restrictions on who posts
    I totally agree with you, and feedback is permitted for all members. There are no restrictions on giving feedback for Commercial Operators. Stokebloke asked to have his 'review' deleted after we removed the 3 lines of advertising it included. The rules are pretty clear and straightforward, and for Commercial Operators, advertising is not permitted. Looking at Stokebloke's review on Facebook, the moderating team would have had to remove all the 'self-promotion' references, but the aftermath post would have been fine.

It's a difficult situation, but, whilst you might know the different connections between operators and able to filter out the bias, most readers on the forum might not.

Looking at the way Facebook is turning into a giant Spam and advertising site, I am happier than ever that we took the steps a few years back to stop advertising. I know it upsets some Commercial Operators who feel (wrongly) picked on, but I would rather have a quieter forum, than turn it into a spam site, with everyone trying to out-advertise their competitors.

Stokebloke understood very well the rules, and was told exactly why his post was edited. He chose to make a big deal of it on Facebook (and in here), I expect as a further act of self-promotion and martyrdom. Before I get accused of Ceroc bias, it is important to point out that Ceroc adverts (apart from my own) are also removed / edited, and that most of the Moderation Team have no affiliation to Ceroc and that most decisions are discussed privately between moderators.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

The reviews for me are some of the best threads on here - it's good to hear what different people's views are about events I go to but also to work out where I'd like to try next.

I'm not worried about everyone being able to post - I think they should be allowed, and generally you can get a feel of who's affiliated to something/one when you're reading even if you don't know the details. But I don't particularly want to see advertising.

It would be good if Commercial operators when posting threads were clear to all if they were involved with a certain part (ceroc ones are pretty clear as the names are familiar, but independent are less so unless I personally know the person involved). It would allow for everyone to understand each side of the opinion.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to add my two penneth.

I don't think people have a clue how much gets removed or edited on here and as Franck said, Ceroc events included!
    So, it does make me sigh, when someone thinks they're being picked on because they're not Ceroc

Like Maxine, for all the reasons she's given , the best bit for me about this forum, are the reviews.
    The good, bad and the ugly and the differing opinions, all on one thread!

Its not something I've found on Facebook, YET!

I've just been away for 5 days and I returned home to find 32 messages in my FB inbox. 30 of them were adverts and only 2 were from genuine friends!

At this present time, I've got over 60 events i've been invited to. I think probably less than five are personal birthday parties etc

All of the above is great, cos I have the 'delete' button AND also, once an event is passed, it disappears anyway..... unlike threads and posts on here! Can you imagine how clogged the forum would be?

In the past, I've considered what it'd be like to allow advertising on here and admit, from time to time, I've thought it might be OK in moderation but as Franck said, now I've seen the way Fabebook's gone, I'm glad we've not gone down that route.

Most of the reviews are from us 'punters' and that's what I most like to read!

So here we are again....we have our set of rules and these are clear, concise and strictly enforced, and I can assure you.....in an unbiased way!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I've just been away for 5 days and I returned home to find 32 messages in my FB inbox. 30 of them were adverts and only 2 were from genuine friends!

At this present time, I've got over 60 events i've been invited to. I think probably less than five are personal birthday parties etc

Actually, you do have a point there, facebook spam drives me absolutely mad. There are so many events these days that its endless. Still, the odd one does inspire me to have a look or i think oooh didn't realise that was on this weekend etc etc.

I love aftermath threads as a way to see how the weekend went and especially new ones as if its got a good review, it pushes for people to try it next time, myself included.

Thanks Franck and Lory for clarifying some of the rules and I am glad that anyone can post regardless of their connections, as this makes for much more balanced discussions.

I do hope that forumites continue to post aftermath and amazing last night posts because they make such an interesting read

I agree with you both about the facebook spamming, it drove me mad that I either removed the people as friends or block the posts the thing is I do want to know about the events just not 3 times a day.

I, too, love reading the Aftermath threads for the same reasons as stated above - ie to help me decide if I would like to attend the event in future and also to see if people's views and experiences are the same or are in contrast to my own.

Only from experience and getting to know people, can you work out whose opinions you can trust and set store by, and whose you should take with a pinch of salt. (over effusive use of words like "awesome" and the phrase "the best dancers" spring to mind here).

What does bug me though, is when those people with an axe to grind or a particular point that they wish to make (over and over again, it would seem) hijack the thread and things descend into a two-way slanging match, or move "off-topic". This resuts in one of two scenarios - either the complete "killing off" of the thread because people no longer bother to read or add to the thread or the mods having to step in and split the thread.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I agree with you both about the facebook spamming, it drove me mad that I either removed the people as friends or block the posts the thing is I do want to know about the events just not 3 times a day.
    I have just about had enough with the whole facebook advertising thing. I don't generally accept friend requests from 'friends' who are listed by their organisation name. And I have just removed from my 'friends' list all the people, especially those from a distance away from where I live (some in Australia!), who continuously send me event invitations for events that I am obviously not going to go to.

I wish other people would do the same, so that organisers would wake up and realise that some (most/all?) people don't want facebook to be just another means for them to get free advertising. If I want to hear about their events, I'll subscribe to their emails, and they can tell me about them there!

Finally, I'm very happy that Franck (and the moderators) don't allow advertising from any source on the forum, and I wish that the people who try to bend and break the rules would respect that, and not go out of their way to try to get around it. Cos it's really not likely to make me want to go to their events. And this includes getting their friends (sycophants?) to post on their behalf. Do they think we're stupid and don't realise this?

Oh, and yes, I also read the aftermath threads. It's about all on the forum I still actually bother to read

Some interesting points here - in particular regarding Facebook (FB).

The way I see it is the organisers/operators are trying to pull people in and using FB as a low cost approach to marketing - and that is fair enough. In addition, if the 'community' aspects can be built up - then so much the better.

However if people feel that they are being spammed then something has gone wrong - and maybe this is where the operators need to be more discerning in terms of 'permission based' approaches (although I am not sure how sophisticated this would be in FB - guess the operator might have to manually set up different 'groups' of Friends who would be served different (and potentially overlapping) marketing messages). I am sure you guys know the ins and outs of this better than I do.

Personally, I like to see the events that are going on - and indeed if a calendar of dance events could be built up - and accessed/displayed in FB that would be fab* - a bit like the birthday calendar thingy in FB - so I can see everyones birthdays within a month. So if Lyndas List and John Sweeneys weekender list could be integated into a dynamic calendar for FB, then that would be perfect (plus a sprinkling of events north of Watford as required).

* fabulous

<---- Note to mods----->
    Maybe this could be another thread: 'Facebook Dancing Events - Spam or Prime Cuts of tenderloin?'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    <---- Note to mods----->
    Maybe this could be another thread: 'Facebook Dancing Events - Spam or Prime Cuts of tenderloin?'
    See how it goes, if the thread starts to go off on a completely new tangent, I'll start a new one.. OR you can start new one yourself, if you want to!

Re Facebook Adverts, I'm afraid when I get lots from any particular organiser, all it serves to do, is make me ignore them all, so I think it rather works against what they'e trying to achieve.
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Mods, can I ask why the review, I posted a link to, was removed? I know it wasn't written directly on this forum but it was still a review of the weekender in the relevant thread. Many times people post links to things relevant to the thread subject.
    The reason was given that it was a 'soft delete' which i presume means it might be returned if the mods agree. I'm just curious as to why it was being reviewed at all.

!Re Facebook Adverts, I'm afraid when I get lots from any particular organiser, all it serves to do, is make me ignore them all, so I think it rather works against what they'e trying to achieve.
    I usually only look at the ones that I get rarely from that organiser, the rest, I just see who sent it and delete if it's a regular spammer.

The FB spam thing would be pretty simple to stop if you had an allow/disallow preference for event invitations from individuals. It could (should?) be on allow by default and then if you feel you are receiving endless or unnecessary invitations you could set to disallow for the individual in question. I have some people I am friendly with who do send me a lot of event invitations, I don't wish to remove them as a friend but i would like to stop the invites.

I also enjoy (and usually contribute to) the aftermath threads on here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Mods, can I ask why the review, I posted a link to, was removed? I know it wasn't written directly on this forum but it was still a review of the weekender in the relevant thread. Many times people post links to things relevant to the thread subject.
    The reason was given that it was a 'soft delete' which i presume means it might be returned if the mods agree. I'm just curious as to why it was being reviewed at all.
    Mod hat on

Ok its simple.

If we allowed links to be posted, to posts which we've since edited or deleted from the forum, there would be no difference to it being posted here.

And if we let this one go, then we can foresee a floodgate of similar situations happening in the future!
    Someone posts something here which gets deleted, then someone else simple posts a link to it!

Its a potential loophole that we do not wish to open.

We've given clear reasons as to why Stokeblokes review was edited in the first place and it was 'deleted' after, at Stokeblokes request.
    Last edited by Lory; 18th-February-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Mod hat on

We've given clear reasons as to why Stokeblokes review was edited in the first place and it was 'deleted' after, at Stokeblokes request.
    The link wasn't to Stokies review it was a review from a guy called Ken (as in Ken and Kim from Tango) written on a Tango forum.

Blog Entries

The link wasn't to Stokies review it was a review from a guy called Ken (as in Ken and Kim from Tango) written on a Tango forum.
    Ah, that one, we're waiting for confirmation that Ken was not commercially involved. OK?

Ah, that one, we're waiting for confirmation that Ken was not commercially involved. OK?
    Yes, I was just curious as to the reason. As far as I know he was a paying punter, as it said in the review. He certainly wasn't working as crew anyway. There were negative and positive comments, so it was a nice balanced review too.

. There were negative and positive comments, so it was a nice balanced review too.

Blog Entries

As far as I know he was a paying punter, as it said in the review. He certainly wasn't working as crew anyway. There were negative and positive comments, so it was a nice balanced review too.
    I've reinstated it!

Yes, I was just curious as to the reason. As far as I know he was a paying punter, as it said in the review. He certainly wasn't working as crew anyway. There were negative and positive comments, so it was a nice balanced review too.
    Now that the link has been restored it occurs to me that the deciding factor for me to attend a weekender is purely down to the accomodation.There cant be many weekenders,if any,that you cant be guaranteed some of the best teachers and music so that doesnt become an issue.
    Unfortunately Southport and Camber are getting such bad rep. for their chalets that they would certainly not be top of my list.
    It would seem that Potters at Lowestoft (Swish) are the front runners in
    holiday camp venues,certainly for quality.I note that they are sold out of nearly all the hotel rooms for 2011 already.
    Time will tell but I wont be surprised to see the hotel weekender take more of a preference.
    I know SP has a huge following but unless Pontins up their game I can see a wind of change.

Thread Information