Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Metropolis - The Aftermath

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Re: Metropolis - The Aftermath

It's been ages since my last weekender (Skegness last June) and even more ages since my last review, so I'm probably a little rusty but here goes anyway...

The Good

The venue - lovely. Lighting in the Blues room a bit off the mark at times but on the positive side, it was variable and was varied in response to comments, so by the end it was pretty good. (Personally I preferred the purply-pink to hellfire red but that's just my taste!). Excellent clear signs directing people between rooms. I rather liked the pillars in the blues room as they created natural slots at the sides for people who wanted slots, but weren't too constraining if you didn't. The main room was really inviting (I'm not a great fan of the SP main room - a bit hangar-like) and I enjoyed a few dances there.

The floors - in a word, fantastic. Think I caught one edge all weekend.

The people - great to see lots of familiar faces again

The music - mostly (except too much tango, see below). I'm fussy and I know it, but there was plenty enough to keep me happy! I'm never good at remembering DJ names so I'm not going to try as I'll get it wrong. And if I'm not actually dancing I generally enjoy watching, so even the bits I don't like so much aren't wasted.

The dances - every flavour from playful to yummy, with lovely lovely lovely dancers. June-Feb is tooo long to go without a fix! Special thank-you to UnderPar for successfully leading me in something recognisable as tango, although I'd never had a lesson! As usual I was a bit feeble with stranger-dances, only managing one on Friday night, but stretching to several on Saturday. None bad, some excellent. We really need to get along Stoke way and try out more of the locals if the sample who were at Metro are anything to go by!

The location - we like this. 3 and a bit hours down clear motorways (a special thank you to PretzelMeister for driving while I snoozed ). Easy to find, even when we took the wrong exit at the last stage. We stayed round the corner at the Ibis - closer than most SP chalets, and warmer/cleaner too! The 3 minute walk to the Palace not a problem.

Well-supplied water-coolers at strategically convenient points kept replenished by polite staff (no fighting your way into the hotshot corner to have a grumpy barman slosh a jug of warm water down so you have to tiptoe and stretch at arms length to avoid getting dance shoes in the puddle!).

The Mildly Annoying

Very little to report here. Being picky, I'd say too much tango music on Sunday night in the Blues room, but I realise there had been 4 tango classes and Vincent and Flavia were social dancing. However it seemed to go on a long time after they'd left.

Lots of women over in the Tango classes, not helped by a high ratio of fixed couples in the class. Not much that can be done about this except bribing the men to actually take part not sit around the edges!

Celebrity-spotters: I don't know why, but other 'big names' in the past social danced and didn't seem to attract the same kind of gawping/crowding at the edge of the dance floor. It felt intrusive.

Cabaret: there was no cabaret marked in the programme for Saturday night, and I only heard on Sunday evening (when Vincent & Flavia disappeared after one dance) that there had been some cabaret action on the Saturday - presumably from the other teachers. I would have liked to see that if we'd known it was on. V&F did come back for another dance, which was nice of them, although people had left already so may have missed it. Great to watch, although the lighting wasn't very good for either dance.

No Heavenly Dance Shoes - I was most disappointed! Had been planning on ordering another pair as a Valentine's treat...

Having to tear ourselves away from Tessalicious's music at 5am on Monday. I changed shoes and put on coat then took it off again to dance 'just one more', and then danced 'really just one more' in my coat, hat & scarf because I couldn't drag self & hubby away!

The Classes

Only did two full classes - Amir's Tango introduction and Simon & Nicole's Coasters on Sunday afternoon. Tango was a bit chaotic with spare women, but Amir was excellent as ever. I didn't get as much as I would have liked from it, and in the second class the number of couples fixing was much higher so I didn't stay, but it was a sufficiently good taster that I am interested in doing more in more manageable circumstances. Fixed partner for Simon & Nicole's class and enjoyed that too.

In Summary
    Had a good time, definitely preferred it to the possibility of freezing in chalets at SP. Will be looking to go to this again - might even consider booking into the hotel. It was missing a few familiar faces I would have liked to see/hug/dance with, but I think that's down to too many weekenders being available - when there were fewer, you could be more sure of seeing 'everyone'. Thanks to everyone who organised it - very successful overall, and I hope to be back for more!

LC
    Last edited by LemonCake; 17th-February-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Commercial Operator

A late review.

Metropolis was a very different weekend for me as I usually go as a dancer and this time I was teaching AND dancing!

The Good

The venue...! Huge, luxurious, and a good fit for the event. This felt like a weekender for grown-ups to me. I was able to dance my little heart out until the early hours, and then head back to the luxury of my room - still wearing my dance shoes and without having to bundle up into a coat.

Breakfast was a dignified affair and a great time to catch up with people, and because it was informal, you could share a table with whoever you wanted - meaning breakfast lasted til lunchtime for me, cos we never stopped talking! Huge thanks to Underpar for the heads up on the waffles and maple syrup...

Dressing up a little for dinner felt great, and a glass (or two) of fine wine with friends made for a long, lazy evening. I had a scary moment with some tuna that hadn't seen the inside of an oven - but loved the fact that the chef encouraged me to try EVERYTHING on offer at the carvery! (Didn't make for lightness of foot later though!)

Floors - perfect! Didn't feel the strain on my knees or ankles all weekend, which is a huge plus in my book.

Blues room - I had a brilliant time in there, but it didn't feel as 'bluesy' as I would want it to. There were issues with the lights, and a valiant attempt was made to solve the problem. Unfortunately there were light switches on the walls, and a few times people leant against them accidently - changing the mood in an instant! The lighting definitely needs tweaking, and I should imagine that is high on the agenda for next time. A few fans in there wouldn't go amiss either.

DJ's - So many of my favourite DJ's all gathered together playing set after set of fantastic music, I couldn't fail to have a good time! The new faces were a welcome addition to the Jive Addiction team, establishing themselves as 'mustn't miss' DJ's instantly!

Dancers - Wow! Placed in the middle-ish of the country, this attracted dancers from north, south, east and west. Masses of my 'favourites' and some fab new discoveries! Was great to see JohnAH having great fun on the dance-floor and I also had some especially fun dances with Mr Underpar, PM, Passion Harem and Dance Demon. As well as some 'proper' dances with lots of awesome leads, thanks everyone, I loved it!

The Bad

Gender Balance - there did seem to be a problem with gender balancing, but I only noticed it particularly during classes. There is a tendency at these events for ladies to be keen to do classes and guys to be keen to let them. Is there any way a system can be encouraged whereby guys start to see classes as a way of ensuring everyone gets out of the weekend what they would like to? Maybe the guys might not NEED the class, but perhaps they could WANT to do a couple because they know it would be a big help for the ladies? I don't know how to solve the problem, and it seems to be one faced by almost every event.

During freestyle time the gender balance didn't bother me, but that's because I was able to get the opportunity to practise my lead on poor unsuspecting ladies! Special thanks to Essie, Tessalicious, Mariane, Sharon, Rosie, Trouble, Janet F, Janet R, Linda, Evie, Candi and the ladies whose names I don't know for coping so valiantly!

The Ugly

The journey from hell to get there! Someone thought it was cool to close the A1 and I got caught in the mother of all tailbacks! Eventually I gave up, went home to calm down and set out again later. Arriving at 1am - we still managed to get some fantastic freestyle until 5.30am.

A migraine wiped me out throughout Saturday afternoon/evening and I didn't dare venture downstairs until the early hours - and then my balance was so off!

Overall, I think this weekender is going to grow and grow. It needs to raise the profile of its afternoon freestyle as many people didn't know it was on and the poor DJ's who got those slots had a very hard time. Maybe a coffee bar in the Blues room during the afternoon serving Tea/coffee/cake? A tea-dance feel would be great. Many people were congregating in the bar having coffee at that time, so shifting the focus downstairs might help. Afternoon dancing is usually the best part of a weekender for me - and although it was available in theory, it never really took off in practicality.

If you're looking for a weekender, for grown-ups, with an emphasis on fantastic music by amazing DJ's, therefore attracting the dancers who just live for the dance - this might just be your thing!

Oh - Apparently there was a main room too...

Due to one or two negative reports on here regarding the Palace Hotel, I kept my expectations in check. I am pleased to say that I should not have doubted the JA team.

The hotel was bloody amazing. The hotel staff were very helpful and even carried all our bags to and from the room. The food was the best I have ever had at a dance event.

Our bedroom was huge...more like a mini apartment when a gigantic bed and leather sofa etc. Massive bathroom with a shower that blew me out of the bath.
    On speaking to others they were all of the same opinion.

The 2 dance venues were great with excellent floors. The lighting in the blues room on the first night is one of those teething problems you get at a new venue, but quickly sorted to create a better effect.

The central bar area was a great meeting/relaxing place. Spent a bit too much time there, but so nice to catch up with friends over a glass of wine.

Mandy was a bit under the weather so did not stay out late, But we danced more during the day than we normally do.
    Popped out into the city on Sat…there is a great Art Gallery right next door.

Had a good moment with Vincent & Flavia…can’t believe they remembered me from what seems like ages ago. They had no music for their Rumba class and neither did the DJ. I do not really know Rumba, but quickly came up with a few tracks that I though might work. They pre-listened…’perfect’ they said. Afterwards, they came up and said that one of the tracks was now their favourite Rumba track

There were a lot of Tangeros at this event and therefore quite a few requests for Tango music in the blues room that might not have been everyone’s cuppa. Maybe with an extra room I could play some longer sets later in the evening.
    The Palace Hotel has extra dance rooms available for classes etc. The potential of this weekender is very positive
    Last edited by Lory; 18th-February-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: To remove promotion associated with his dance org

Mmm... Not sure if I should post this but I guess this all subjective anyway. Am fairly newbie, dancing for 18 months and this was my 6th weekender. The experience was a mixed bag for me. Lovely hotel, great well taught classes (did 5 of them), good dancefloor but amateurishly run in parts, very over lit main room (but then not bright enough to see fabulous Simon and Nicole and Amir do their things in the Cab on Saturday) and dodgy PA system (skipping CDs on Fri night, feed back explosions (all day on Saturday, Ouch!), abrupt jump in volume during the cabaret. Please). Thought the music was a bit insipid in stretches too. Was much much better at Southport and kept the energy in the room going long into the small hours.

Also found it quite cliquey/unfriendly in contrast to all my previous events (
    3 Ceroc/ 1 JA in Skegness and dance fever in Perth).The friends I went with all had the same opinion . General impression was somehow this was a superior level although I couldn’t see why that was. Had a ball the previous weekend at Southport with many more better friendlier dancers (even worth the chilly chalet!).

Rude JA staff did not help either. Bloke on stage got quite stroppy that there were too many fixed couples on Sunday. Gender balancing was HIS problem to solve. Not ours. They sold the tickets, took the money. It's no ones business who anyone dances with I think. There is a reason people fix as couples for some classes. They can be chaallenging enough and having the extra practice time is very useful between crowd control and having someone back at your local club who you did it with is great. My dance partner and I under some stage persuasion 'unfixed' at the drops class and regretted it. The rest of the class was a shambles (not the teaching which was excellent I should add) and we got much less out of it.

Who’d have thought it. After a great Skegness last year jury is now out. Telling us they run the best weekenders does not make it so! Oops.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    Afterwards, they came up and said that one of the tracks was now their favourite Rumba track
    Care to share? I'd love to know what that was...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edinburghneville View Post
    Rude JA staff did not help either. Bloke on stage got quite stroppy that there were too many fixed couples on Sunday. Gender balancing was HIS problem to solve. Not ours.
    JA staff are now teaching? or did a staff member complain about the number of fixed couples on behalf of the teacher? Also, if gender balancing is his to solve NOT yours, how is he going to solve it other than communicate with you, are you always this uncooperative?

They sold the tickets, took the money. It's no ones business who anyone dances with I think.
    Not true, organisers have to think of the enjoyment and learning of everyone, not just you. There will be someone somewhere who was tempted to write about the "annoying uncooperative fixed couples at the back who tutted when asked to split up and take part individually"

There is a reason people fix as couples for some classes.
    usually because they struggle with picking it up and having to adjust a lead to a new dancer as well, while more beneficial, is too hard I think for some classes organisers should perhaps say "no fixed couples" clearly on the info.

My dance partner and I under some stage persuasion 'unfixed' at the drops class and regretted it.
    Although in a drops class, I'd probably regret it too. Dips, Drops and Aerials classes should always have a "fixed couples" option, its safer.

Who’d have thought it. After a great Skegness last year jury is now out. Telling us they run the best weekenders does not make it so! Oops.
    The jury is out? Is this your personal opinion or an appeal to the masses to agree with you? Your first post and you already have an agenda?

Good review though A++ would read again

Edinburghneville's first post and already cut down to size by DS.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Care to share? I'd love to know what that was...
    Because I was rushing to get a track up for them I did not save it no my playlists.

But I am pretty sure it was.....

Historia De Un Amor - Laura Fygi

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Edinburghneville's first post and already cut down to size by DS.
    It certainly was. This sort of thing dosn't exactly encourage others to write a review does it? Members should be allowed to write a review saying whatever they like without it being pulled apart like this. The odd comment is fine but this is over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    Because I was rushing to get a track up for them I did not save it no my playlists.

But I am pretty sure it was.....

Historia De Un Amor - Laura Fygi
    I'm certain it wasn't this. The rumba track they played was much less classical and quite modern and more upbeat . . . can't remember it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    It certainly was. This sort of thing dosn't exactly encourage others to write a review does it? Members should be allowed to write a review saying whatever they like without it being pulled apart like this. The odd comment is fine but this is over the top.
    Ordinarily I would agree with you, but on this occasion the Newbie seems to have an agenda, and DS is just letting Mr Newbie know that we can see straight through it. Seems fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Ordinarily I would agree with you, but on this occasion the Newbie seems to have an agenda, and DS is just letting Mr Newbie know that we can see straight through it. Seems fair to me.
    Who do you mean by 'we'?

Just because someone writes in a style that may not be the same as your own or who has a different opinion to you dosn't mean that they have an agenda.

I know it's neither here nor there but what makes you think Edinburghneville has an agenda.

There was nothing there to make me question whether I would attend a future event,I wasn't particularly influenced by his post.I just thought it made for an interesting read.

Sorry I have just read the post again and it does seem to be a bit biased toward Ceroc over JA;although it didn't really register like that at the time.

Still doesn't bother me!

Generally agree with Edinburhneville's review. Can't comment on the fixed couples issue suffice to say that V & F's tango class was always going to be very busy, guess there is no easy answer.

Pros

I thought the hotel was amazing, the service excellent and it was a little bit of luxury walking from your room to blues room without having to change shoes etc.

The classes were top notch and Amir was his usual brilliant self. Particularly impressed with Jim and Nicky for their approachable teaching style

Immaculate dance floors.

Cons

The main room lighting felt a bit like a hangar at times and the music was a bit lacking for me at times.

Issues with the blues room have been well documented. For whatever reason I thought Friday night didn't really take off.

It's probably comparing apples and pears but overall I felt the weekender didn't have the same atmosphere as Southport. Perhaps one of the reasons for this was the number of people commuting in and out?

DT - Congratulations on your engagement. I didn't get a chance to try out the Bachata with you after our practice session

Who do you mean by 'we'?
    I said we, because I thought the whole agenda thing was obvious. Seems I was wrong. Maybe I should have wrote...

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but on this occasion the Newbie seems to have an agenda, and as I read it it seems that DS is just letting Mr Newbie know that he can see straight through it. Seems fair to me.
    Just because someone writes in a style that may not be the same as your own or who has a different opinion to you dosn't mean that they have an agenda.
    C'mon NG, you know the signs. How many newbies have come on here, no photo, no one knows who they are, no other posts, etc, etc (ok, I'm speculating, but you get my point)

Sorry I have just read the post again and it does seem to be a bit biased toward Ceroc over JA;although it didn't really register like that at the time.

Still doesn't bother me!
    No, it doesn't bother me either. I think if you look at this review thread as a whole, the overall opinion is that Metropolis was a success with a few teething problems and some excellent ideas from Sara White on how things could be improved.

This never ceases to amaze me on this Forum. There are people posting on this thread with very obvious agendas because they are part of the crew and/or are Independents that have a vested interest in co-promoting events with JA and do you know what? That's fine because people accept that (well, as long as they aren't avertising their own events too...)

But the moment anyone comes on an actually posts what they think they get attacked for it... EN's post was very balanced IMO with positives and negatives and he makes it clear that he is not affiliated to anyone because he can talk from experience about other weekenders he's been on run by other companies including Ceroc. It also appears obvious from his post that he was actually there too.

As everyone knows, there are many more people that view this Forum than participate in it and occasionally they'll have the nerve to jump into the fray only to immediately get accused of having an agenda.

Is it any wonder that most people don't bother participating in threads any more?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edinburghneville
    To clarify : "who'd have thought it"..."the jury is now out" and "telling us" sounds like a plea to others for agreement and solidarity rather than simply personal opinion - it gave an edge to the review. But hey, I gave the review overall an A++ . Did no one notice ? The "Agenda" comment was only pointing out how that could be taken by others, including me - especially when it comes in a first post.

I do have a history of pointing out this sort of thing for just this reason regardless of which companies events we are talking about. The "Oops" just adds that extra edge of anti-JA sentiment as it is about "weekenders" plural, not just THIS one being reviewed.

I shouldn't have to explain this at all, I think some of you clearly have an agenda

Still doesn't bother me!
    don't think for a second it bothers me either - despite the number of characters sacrificed for this post...and I'll be surprised if it bothers edinburghneville that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    But the moment anyone comes on an actually posts what they think they get attacked for it... EN's post was very balanced IMO with positives and negatives and he makes it clear that he is not affiliated to anyone because he can talk from experience about other weekenders he's been on run by other companies including Ceroc. It also appears obvious from his post that he was actually there too.

I can't disagree with any of that other than I didn't think this was an attack, just a query about motivation - I both agreed and disagreed, asked some questions and made the 'agenda' comment because of the last line. You would have said nothing if it was the same post about a Ceroc event . (hey, that last line probably WAS an attack, please disregard )

As everyone knows, there are many more people that view this Forum than participate in it and occasionally they'll have the nerve to jump into the fray only to immediately get accused of having an agenda.

Is it any wonder that most people don't bother participating in threads any more?
    Oh behave - its a discussion forum and i have replied to one post on this subject due to it being a virgin post, but the tone of the post does not make me think this is some shrinking violet that will run crying at the use of a word like "agenda" . And the implication of your post is that i would need to wait a while when these new people come in before i can accuse them of an agenda? how many posts does the "speak really nicely in case they run off" period last for ? 10 ? 100 ? until you say so ?
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 19th-February-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: because of tribbles

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

Oh I do like that.Brilliant

Thread Information