Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Metropolis - The Aftermath

Metropolis - The Aftermath

Well, firstly this weekend turned out to be extra special as Gav asked me to marry him and I said yes!

Gav had arranged a VIP trip on the Manchester Eye on Saturday afternoon and proposed mid trip, down on one knee with champagne and a big sparkly diamond. To say I’m happy is an understatement.

Having got through the proposal, just the two of us, Jon then made Gav propose to me AGAIN in the main room at Metropolis in front of everyone on Saturday evening. Poor Gav. John bought us a lovely bottle of champagne though and made a big fuss of us so we’ll forgive him for embarrassing us in front of hundreds of dancers.

Anyway…my review;

Accommodation
    We were a little apprehensive about the hotel as the reviews on the internet were mostly bad, so we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived to be greeted by Jon and the Jive Addiction crew in a rather splendid hotel lobby. Also our room was clean, enormous with high ceilings, two double beds, lovely and warm, big bathroom with a great shower. The only slight niggle was the trains going passed and the fact that we were directly above the blues room so could still hear the music when we went to bed. It didn’t keep either me or Gav awake, but a few other dancers had complained about the noise and were moved to a quieter room without any fuss.
    Music
    The music was ok and the general consensus was that the music was spot on but my personal preference would have been more uplifting funky soul music and some jiveable swing music. We were disappointed to hear that Dr Chill had pulled out due to ill health and we wish him a speedy recovery.
    Classes
    We only did two classes on Saturday morning. The Bachata with Keith and Bev, which was good fun although there were about 15 ladies over so spent half the time watching rather than dancing. The second class was Smooth Jive with Jim and Nicky. We really enjoyed this class too and thought Jim and Nicky did a great job of showing smooth moves to slow music.
    Teachers
    It was the first time I’d met Jim and Nicky and I thought they were very friendly and chatty to everyone. They also spent all of Friday and Saturday evening grabbing everyone and anyone for a dance. Keith also spent time chatting and dancing. Unfortunately, it was noted by myself and others that a few other teachers spent all evening dancing with their partners and completely ignoring everyone else. That’s their prerogative I suppose, but it doesn’t go down well with the punters.
    Dance Rooms
    The main room was well lit, the floor was excellent and I spent more time in there than I normally would because I liked the music.
    The blues room had an excellent floor but the lighting took a bit of experimenting through the weekend to try and create the right atmosphere. Still…it’s the first weekend at this venue and I’m sure little things like this will be ironed out for next time.
    Restaurant
    We booked the dinner, bed and breakfast for both nights and the food was excellent, especially in the main restaurant on Friday evening. It was a nice touch that breakfast was served until 11 both mornings too so we could get some sleep after a late night dancing and not have to get up early to get fed. The staff in the restaurant and in the whole hotel were very friendly and helpful.

Overall we had a really lovely weekend. Saturday night was excellent. The blues room was really buzzing and everyone seemed to be enjoying lots of dances and we met lots of new people. Everyone was really friendly.

To Jon I’d like to thank you for arranging another wonderful weekender. We always look forward to Jive Addiction events and have a sort of “Coming home to our extended dance family” feeling when we walk through the door. I’m really chuffed that Gav chose this weekend to ask me to marry him as I was very happy to share this special time with you and the rest of our Jive Addiction dance friends. We’re already looking forward to booking the next Metropolis!

Re: Metropolis - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Well, firstly this weekend turned out to be extra special as Gav asked me to marry him and I said yes!....
    Congratulations and Mazletov - fantastic news

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Just 1 hour up the motorway for me.

my thoughts

The floor was probably the best I have ever danced on

It felt more like a two room freestyle that was extended than a 'weekender'

Friday I spent quite a bit of time up and down the stairs between rooms, I wanted to dance with my friends in the blues room but I found the music depressing, I like blues, musicality, etc., but I don't like the melancholy dreary blues, it just brings me down, so Saturday.s music didn't do it for me.

Decided to travel back up on Sunday, I wanted to see Vincent and Flaviour.

They were fab, worth the drive.

I went down to the blues room in the hope of a dance with Vincent, he was dancing tango, Pete of Pete and Aver was on the deck's a quick check with him and the next track was 'click, click. click' yessss i'm in, dashed over and garbed a dance, loved it what a mover.

Came off the floor buzzing to the rest of Pete's set, WOW thank you, thank you, thank you! Pete restored my blues room mojo his set was just fantastic, Pete I hope I hear more of your sets on my travels.

Surprisingly loved RevDrops's set, full of little surprises.

If its on again and I can pay on the door I will be there.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

What an amazing venue! We stayed in the premier Inn (not so posh) which was about a 5 minute walk, if that. from the Palace Hotel (where the event was being held.) Not as far as some chalets I've stayed in at weekenders! The Palace Hotel was stunning and so big! The flooring in the dance venues was the same flooring that was used at the Swingvitational in November, I said in my review of that event, it's the best floor I've ever danced on in my dance life. Pedro was around checking the floor regularly as he always does and as far as I'm aware there were no problems throughout the weekend with it.
    I only went for the Friday and Saturday evenings as I was in Manchester with my family. The time I had there was great though. Although like most posh hotels the bar bill was a little steep, which is expected. It's a different weekender to the pontins/butlins ones, but personally I like the luxury of nice surroundings so will try and book a room in the venue next time. I'm getting too old to sleep in damp chalets now. It did make me realise how unfit I've become with not dancing much for the last few months though! Boy did I ache!
    Thanks to all the crew that put in the hard work. I hope Dr Chill is better soon too. X

A weekender with a difference and one I will definitely repeat, had a really lovely time. The venue was so different, not just a hotel, parts of it were like pieces of gothic art. Everything being under one roof was good, the walk in between floors was ok once you got used to looking at the signs and definitely better than having to put on overshoes! I thought the floors were good, quite smooth, I was wearing killer heels and they didn't come to any harm, floor was fast too.

The music was for me the same weekender music as always,the blues room did get a bit too solemn at times though, so escaped to the fast room for a bit of good old fashioned upbeat jive. There were some very good tangueras and playful jivers there so I had some good dancing experiences to lots of different music styles. I did miss Blueshoes's usual set in the early hours though, he is fabulous in the blues room.

Vincent and Flavia were awesome as always. They did quite a lot of figures for the rumba, which was quite refreshing rather than the usual basic stuff. Didn't make the tango but my friend went through the figures and again they were challenging which was good to see.

Really good to meet up with dancing friends again and have time for coffee and chats. Had a great time with Scarface and Trouble as always we have a laugh when we get together.

Yes drinks were dear, but it is a city centre hotel, as I was driving I brought a flask of coffee, and that with Lemon Cakes delicious cakes and DTs buns kept me going and going.

Thanks to Jon for his usual friendly welcome, and puting on a weekender with a difference, and last but not least the all lovely leaders who invited me onto the dance floor.
    Last edited by rubyred; 15th-February-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Shouldn't this be in "Social events"?

Very informative reviews so far but surely there were more than four of you there - or is everyone else still recovering?

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    Good point. It is now...
    Love dance, will travel

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Very informative reviews so far but surely there were more than four of you there - or is everyone else still recovering?
    There weren't that many forumites there, apart from those with connections to the event i.e. crew/organisers and I assume they wouldn't be allowed to comment on here? I don't usually bother with event aftermaths these days but I will for this one - just getting my thoughts together.

RevDrop played the "The Ghetto by Donny Hathaway". I was totally shocked that he would play such a soulful record as I had always thought he was into latin tunes

This is a real quality tune IMHO and I made sure that I gave him my support.

I look foward to hearing another one of his sets in the near future

Cool Re: Metropolis - The Aftermath

There were some people who were at Metro who would love to post a review to point out what was good, bad and ugly. But, alas, they are not allowed to post a review here due to forum rules Pete.

It seems a shame, but the rules have to be respected

Blog Entries

This weekend was an excuse for me to see and stay with our lovely and gorgeous girlfriend Ruby Red who was wonderful and more importantly to make that important purchase of "the wedding outfit" which i did in Liverpool Friday morning aided by Ruby, we had such a laugh in the changing rooms but thats another story.

Anyway, on top of a wonderful weekend away, we had the option to come and go to Metropolis in Manchester so it didn't feel like a weekender for me but more a great opportunity to try something new and put the icing on the cake for what was already a wonderful weekend anyway.

Music

I found the music fine, didn't enjoy the blues room much on Friday nite but loved it saturday nite. Not being a music professional or really that interested in who is DJ'ing i could not tell you if it was the music itself or it could have been the lighting in the hall or it could have been tiredness I just dont know but for me it didn't work Friday nite. Saturday nite was different though, after lighting was sorted out, music was great, didn't really leave blues room all nite and danced away till 4am (which i know is lightweight) but my feet can not do longer than about 6 hours as they are so ****ed. !!

Dance floors

Dont know what john used but it was fantastic for me. It was just right for spinning, bouncy enough to not pressure your knees or legs and felt great to dance on. One of the best floors actually.

Lighting

Hated it on Friday, they were trying to get it right but failed, for me anyway. On saturday nite, we got there late and it was really lit up, i could not understand why. I caught John outside and asked him what was going on and he shot downstairs. When i got back the lighting was subdued, pink and wonderful.

Hotel

Bloody expensive drinks, really annoys me but what can you do, its in the middle of manchester city. Same anywhere you go i spose. Didn't bother me though, after spending a mortgage Friday nite at the bar, we spent nothing Saturday nite.

Dancers

I didn't have a bad dance all weekend, infact i found some wonderful dancers. Faces old and new did not fail me or i them i hope and i had some wonderful moments.

Extra moments

Gav proposing to my sister and John getting em up on stage. (wished id had my camera).
    Danny just being Danny who i love so very much.
    Rosie, helping me dress and undress and squeezing those bits in here and there with almost some success.
    John and his wife who are so friendly and made our dance weekend feel great even though we only stayed two nites. They are so friendly and really want to make these weekenders work.
    Getting back to Liverpool Sunday morning 6am, exhausted, feet like baboons bottoms and Rosie driving us there and back both nites.
    Seeing so many happy couples brought together by the dance world, still smiling, some married, some getting married and some just in love.

Finally, went home sunday afternoon, happy and glad that we went. Would love to stay at hotel next time as Manchester looks like an interesting city and one that we didn't get to explore due to time, feet problems and parking
    and of course all the wonderful dancers male and female who gave me the pleasure of their dancing.

oh and of course Danny - your the best. xxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    There were some people who were at Metro who would love to post a review to point out what was good, bad and ugly. But, alas, they are not allowed to post a review here due to forum rules Pete.

I'm not sure there is a rule preventing anyone from posting a genuine review.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    There is not, the forum has always had unbiased reviews. The only issue is when people talk about events when they have a vested interest in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    I can assure you there is.

Having recently been on the receiving end of a number of infractions for breaking these very rules I am now quite au fait with how they work. I have written a review of Metro but I posted it to a popular social network website, as it has far more relaxed rules about what you are allowed to say.

Such a shame really, but part and parcel it would seem of donning the mystical garb of the Commercial Operator

I can assure you there is.

Having recently been on the receiving end of a number of infractions for breaking these very rules I am now quite au fait with how they work. I have written a review of Metro but I posted it to a popular social network website, as it has far more relaxed rules about what you are allowed to say.

Such a shame really, but part and parcel it would seem of donning the mystical garb of the Commercial Operator
    Good grief Stokie, when did you become such a whinger and victim???

You've always said that you don't want to hear about all the bollotics about the dance world and that 'all you want to do is dance' and yet over the last 2 weeks all you've done is sling mud.

I've just read your review on FB and it finishes like this:

The Surreal
    I have written many reviews in the past about weekenders. I used to put them onto the moderated Ceroc Scotland Forum. It has been a revelation writing without the need to rein in your thoughts, feelings, comparisons or comments for fear of "breaking the rules" or upsetting Ceroc.

Reviews have been accepted on here posted by anyone and generally about any event, but your latest review reads like nothing more than self promotion - I mean it mentions your dance night in relation to DJ's 3 times in one paragraph!

Apart from anything else it's just tedious - occasional promotion is ok if you do it carefully, but all the time??! Snap out of it big man 'cos you're quickly losing some of the respect people had for you as an impartial advocate for the dance community.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Good grief Stokie, when did you become such a whinger and victim???
    I never said I was a victim. I have been on the receiving end of some infractions for rule breaking recently though. As it has never been my intention to cause trouble, so I simply moved the review somewhere else. That's all!
    You've always said that you don't want to hear about all the bollotics about the dance world and that 'all you want to do is dance' and yet over the last 2 weeks all you've done is sling mud.
    It's true to say that I do not want to become embroiled in the negativity of the bollotics. I do just want to dance. I have never said that I wouldn't speak up if I felt the situation deserves it though. We have been running for almost a year, you speak about two weeks of "mud slinging". Not a bad ratio methinks, although it's slightly ironic to have such an accusation from someone who's fingernails are seldom free of loam from one month to the next
    Reviews have been accepted on here posted by anyone and generally about any event, but your latest review reads like nothing more than self promotion - I mean it mentions your dance night in relation to DJ's 3 times in one paragraph!
    Indeed it does. I wanted to put into context my connection with these DJs. So it was clear from the outset that these were DJs who have and do work for us. It's a tricky one isn't it Rocky. If you don't mention that you have a connection with the DJs you could be accused of having a hidden agenda. If you do mention it you could be accused of self-promotion. I opted for transparency and hoped the readers would be grown up enough to work the rest out for themselves *shrug*

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Another review here if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Lory; 18th-February-2010 at 08:03 PM.

I never said I was a victim. I have been on the receiving end of some infractions for rule breaking recently though. As it has never been my intention to cause trouble, so I simply moved the review somewhere else. That's all!
    And good grief didn't you make a meal of it... And no that's not 'That's all!' as you know the 'victim' comment wasn't only directed at posting adverts..

It's true to say that I do not want to become embroiled in the negativity of the bollotics. I do just want to dance. I have never said that I wouldn't speak up if I felt the situation deserves it though. We have been running for almost a year, you speak about two weeks of "mud slinging".
    So in other words, as long as you're not directly involved you don't want to hear about the bollotics and will have a go at people for airing their dirty laundry in public - but if you are involved it's perfectly OK?

Not a bad ratio methinks, although it's slightly ironic to have such an accusation from someone who's fingernails are seldom free of loam from one month to the next
    Well except the difference is that I don't moan about people airing their grievances in public and then go right ahead and get my oversized trollies out like you have...

Indeed it does. I wanted to put into context my connection with these DJs. So it was clear from the outset that these were DJs who have and do work for us. It's a tricky one isn't it Rocky. If you don't mention that you have a connection with the DJs you could be accused of having a hidden agenda. If you do mention it you could be accused of self-promotion. I opted for transparency and hoped the readers would be grown up enough to work the rest out for themselves *shrug*
    Well, I might accept that if everything else that you publicly did didn't just seem to be about shameless self promotion..

I just read that review Cruella.Excellent.

I might even think about taking my wife there next year.

Rocky/Stoke Bloke – What I want to see is as many reviews as possible so that if this event is on again next year I can then make an informed judgement of whether it is something that I may wish to attend or not and I am sure I’m not alone in that. Unfortunately I can’t go to every weekend so I have to choose and the reviews do help give a flavour of what you can expect

We know that people have affiliations to different organisations but most of us are intelligent enough to read between the lines and by saying that the DJ’s have played at their event is not the same as saying come to my event

So please Stoke Bloke can we see your review

Thread Information