Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blush - The Aftermath - 5th-8th Feb 2010

Blush - The Aftermath - 5th-8th Feb 2010

Swear some of you had been dancing until 6am this morning or something

Re: Where's the Southport review?

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    we sure were

great weekend - will review when I've caught up on sleep...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Where's the Southport review?

I just about kept my eyes open long enough for the drive back.. thanks to Mel and Tonic for keeping the chat lively!

I had a fabulous weekend and feel like I've recovered some of my dancing mojo, thanks to some truly awesome dances and great music.

Will write more when I've had a bit more rest.. my brain isn't quite with it at the moment!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blush - The Aftermath - 5th-8th Feb 2010

(can't really see one yet other than a request for it so I'm making this)

All in all a good weekend!!!

The Good...

Getting enough courage to ask Kellese Key for a dance...and trying not to fudge an attempt at WCS too much!!!

The Keys' in general very pleasant and made themselves available throughout.

The latin/tango/WCS room. Spent most of my time here, reasonably decent music throughout, tho the floor in the middle is so uneven...

Only buying one pint all weekend, and that being because the water in the musac room temporarily ran out.

The music in the pod area. Employ that mysterious DJ and stick them in the musac room please!!!

No really rain. Tho fairly cold.

The Bad...

Different Southport, same old shites in attendance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hotshot corners are back. Nice to watch but that's about it.

Walking in to the main room just when Boom Boom Pow finished. Booooo!!! Tho that's my fault if any.

Asking a locqal teacher how to do a move and getting a response that only gave me what it was called then walking off... Lost custom in future me thinks... Lost of majority of their custom...lol!!!

The Ugly...

Stories of knobs trying to screw people over tickets. Grrr.......

The music in the musac room. What the hell was that for gods sake. Chill out or walk out. Not sure which...

Again the main room being too crowded by people aimlessly flying everywhere.

The Pathetic...

One refusal from a member of the hate campain group against me...

Re: Blush - The Aftermath - 5th-8th Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    And what would make you think anything otherwise?

After every weekender I think I must be mad staying up till all hours . . . but I must be getting madder seeing as I went back to work this afternoon.

Just a quickie..

Enjoyed being back at Southport tho only able to do about a dozen dances & two half-classes due to dysfunctional right knee.. Atmosphere still put a smile on my face.. Didn't think I would ever be back... SO GLAD I DID!!

Big Thanks to Mike Ellard - Problem with our original room solved in a minute by Mr E. Good service big fella!

Will be back in May & hopefully able to contribute a bit more!!! ;-)

The Good

- Some pre-Ceroc Southport regulars had made the decision to attend, whatever their reasons, it was great to see them.

- Saturday and Sunday afternoon sets in the Boudoir were pretty much out of the top drawer: its invidious to pick out names but I'd like to thank Zebrawoman for Sunday's set which was beautifully put together and had some fantastic new (to me) music which was a challenge.

- for some reason the sound in the main room seemed to me to be much fuller than previously.

- the atmosphere was really upbeat all three days and many mentioned what a relief it was to get back to weekenders. Gender balance seemed about right to me & Westies and blues dancers seemed to be getting on like a house on fire.

Things that could be better:

- no big gripes from me

- some DJ's don't seem to plan their sets as well as others with the result that we get groups of very similar songs (esp in terms of tempo and type) which can get "samey" and unless they pay close attention to what's happening on the floor it all goes to pot. Others build sets carefully, building up the mood - Silverfox did this to great effect in his afternoon sets, superb track after superb track building the atmosphere - makes for awesome dancing.

- the chalets were thoroughly cold and damp - this is putting people off attending. (hotwater bottles and electric blankets people!)

- for me the Blues room was often too cold (either had three doors or no doors open!) and mostly too loud. I wonder what others think.

- already some people I talk to are reluctant to go to Camber "because its not as good as Southport". Camber has its unique qualities & we shouldn't let "the best" become the enemy of "the good".

- no phone reception across most of the site for me all weekend - complete pain.

I haven't commented on classes cos I didn't do any.

Loved it! Great mates, great company, great dancers, great dances, lots of smiles and giggles/cackles.

Brent and Kellese were as lovely as they were the last time . It was fabulous to see them chatting and dancing with everyone; and enjoying dancing whatever style was asked of them. I don't think I saw anyone leave a dance with either one of them without a smile on their face. In my opinion Brent, Kellese and Olivier Massart are all truly awesome at helping to improve the confidence, and putting at ease, both newbie and experienced westies.

The music on the whole for me was fab. My favourites have always been the late night/through to the morning sets from Marc and Rachel (plus it's nice to be able to get dance after dance with Marc to Rachel's gorgeous music!). Plus I always HAVE to make the afternoon sets by Silverfox and Rocky - I would really miss this if it were changed.

The only slight gripe is that the main room closed far too early on the Sunday night. John Baker played a storming set that had the main room heaving and loving it. Everyone seemed completely up for more - the blues room seemed to be emptying with people wanting to come in to the main room for an energy boost - but the last two songs were announced and that was it Is there any chance that in future the main room session could be extended if it is still busy? I was pleasantly surprised to wander past the pod shortly after to hear Gold Digga by the Glee cast blasting out and had a fun few dances in there. I do love the wcs room and the Blues room but the main room is sooooooo much fun from 3.30 in the evening onwards it just seemed a shame to stop it.

Sadly I'll be missing Scorch this year as I'm off to France for some WCS but bring on Splash!

I've never done a review before so be gentle.........

The Good

Top of the list and most definately my most enjoyable few minutes of the weekend - watching 3 dancers doing the best double trouble i've EVER seen to the last song in the fast room on Saturday night!! (Perhaps if anyone knows who they were you could post their names?!)

Being tagged by Alex Cumberbirch and Phil Worthing whilst practicing for their class..........................always sooooooooo much fun!!

Getting two sack the DJ slots over the course of the weekend - both of which i loved, and hopefully others did too. A big thankyou to Chris U and DJ Blueboy(?) for their encouragement!

The chips at the snack bar - absolutely nothing to do with dancing but lovely all the same!! ;o)

All the fabulous dances I had over the weekend!

Fletch's many glamorous outfits - as another slightly outrageous outfit lover they definately deserve a mention!

The Bad

The 'ice rink' floor in the Blues Room on Friday, and the fans i believe that were put on to dry the floor made the room absolutely freezing!!

The apartment also being absolutely freezing even with all the heaters on!

The Ugly

One rather rude refusal.....................

All in all a lovely coctail of fine music, dancing and a smidgen of alcohol!!

I had a great time, although it was a last minute decision to go, and ended up being a bit different to other weekenders I've been on.

Good:
    Enjoyed the Latin/WCS room and getting in some practise, although didn't pluck up the courage to ask Brent Key to dance. It was brilliant just watching him & Kellese having so much fun dancing with everyone in there.

Main room - had some brilliant dances with people I've not danced with before including one of the best with Rocky on Saturday night.

Lucky & Eden's blues/tango fusion cabaret - brilliant, held my breath all the way through.

Helping out on the weather desk meant we got to chat to lots more people than usual and got to nosy at what was going on as well as checking out the music in the blues room.

Painless journey up & back

Bad:
    We slummed it this time in budget accommodation and ended up with a tv which didn't work...it never got fixed as Pontins forgot to put our chalet number on their issues list, then the fixer never turned up after we chased it - minor issue, and helped save us on the electricity tokens!

Needing 3 duvets to keep warm at night.

Cabaret was very short - just the 2 guest teacher performances which were great. Could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your viewpoint. Me, I'd have liked to see something jive based as well given it's a MJ based weekend, but at least we didn't get repeats of previous performances which has sometimes happened in the past.

Overall, I had a great time (again) at this weekender, and my chalet mate has now changed her view...after 2 Southports that she really didn't enjoy, she thought she was allergic to it, but after 2 cracking nights in the main room freestyle she wants to return.

Good
    * Lots of excellent dances. The northern birds were on it this weekend
    * Music mostly enjoyable
    * Pontins sorted a room swap quickly and with no fuss
    * Getting a couple of dances with Kellese - someone who is right there at the top of the dance tree but so utterly unassuming
    * Not a sell out so very few periods of playing bumper cars on the dancefloor
    * Dodgy meter giving us free electricity
    * ZW sorting me out with Bad Mamma Jamma - what a top tune

Bad
    * Missed the waffles - obviously need an iphone on a network that has a bit of signal in that neck of the woods!
    * Following Saturday's S'Funk session with what seemed like about 3 hours of very similar stuff didn't work for me. I'm not saying I necessarily disliked the tracks but a bit more variety would have been appreciated
    * Volume too loud on a few occasions in all rooms
    * Still a L-O-N-G drive home

Ugly
    * A monster blister on my big toe. Maybe I should pick up my feet once in a while when dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Hotshot corners are back.
    Did they ever go away?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    In my opinion Brent, Kellese and Olivier Massart are all truly awesome at helping to improve the confidence, and putting at ease, both newbie and experienced westies.
    Olivier is lovely, so smiley and friendly (and he's fit too ).

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    * Getting a couple of dances with Kellese - someone who is right there at the top of the dance tree but so utterly unassuming
    Seems to be only some of the English westies that have a reputation for being up themselves.

Had the best Saturday night in a LOOOONG time...
    Good
    Dances - unquestionably. That's what makes a weekender
    Compliments from my lovelies, and from random people - thanks to whoever you are!
    Some great sets in main room and in the blues room (though not all - see Bad)
    Lessons - did WCS with Keys - lovely. The doubles (DT and Tag) were fantastic! Loved the teachers and the way they taught, everything explained really well, time for practice, music picked for lessons was top notch.
    Pod Sunday night - thanks guys for great finish to the weekender - FAB FUN!
    Bad
    Floor by the bar on Friday - lethal. Saw David sprinkling something on it - well done, as almost ended up on my bum a few times before it was sorted.
    Apartment - gods it was freezing, and money spent on electricity seemed to go into black hole, as no evident improvement in inside temperature was noted...
    Some music - in the main room around 2 am every night it was way too bouncy. Don't take me wrong, I love fast - but not for 30 mins at a time at acrobatic rock'n'roll speed! Same with blues room - a few times it was flatly boring, same beat over and over and over again for 20 mins at a time...

Uglies
    None

Loved it - awesome weekend for me!

I had a nice weekend, couldn't stay for all of it, but enjoyed the time I had there, and it was great to see my friends from all over the dance scene OOP North again. Nice to catch up and chat with you all.

I was well and truely tangoed this weekend, and loved it loved it loved it. Thank you to all the lovely leaders who invited me onto the floor to dance tango, jive and blues, and to the DJs of the weekend, and in particular those who played the beautiful sets for tango.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Just got back, travelling home was a nightmare! Had a great time at Southport, as always, didn't want it to end!

Few highpoints and lowpoints -
    I thought the quality of the dancers was high. Not only that, everybody I danced with was up for a laugh, even managed to crack a smile out of the people who take it super-seriously.

Blues room past 1-2am was excellent. Spent way more time than I usually do in the Main Room though, the music was good and the dancers were all good fun. Wish more people would come out of their chalet's earlier though, very few people around until about 10pm!

Girls at Southport are much more fun than at Camber, in every respect. Fact.

The people I went with were awesome, and we became even better friends over the course of the weekend, lots of talking, dancing and laughing. When we met it was a quick hello hug, upon leaving it was a big, full-on hug.

Didn't do any classes as I suffer from chronic laziness. Was up till the end on all nights though.

My chalet seemed to want to remain resolutely freezing. Also the water temperature was pretty cold and never really warmed up. I had a few reservations about my new Share-with-a-stranger flatmate at first but he turned out to be a genuinely nice bloke, definite improvement on last Southport (see prev. posts - naked chalet-mate, he was there this time too and all I could think about when I saw him was "Oh my god, I've seen you naked").

Getting absolutely hammered early on Sunday night. Not good.

Having to wait until the last minute of the last day to get a dance with a lovely (and rather striking) jive-vee, she made it up for it though, asking for another 2 dances soon after.

---

Anyway, wild horses couldn't stop me going to Southport in May, can't wait to do it all again soon.
    Last edited by Danny; 9th-February-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Girls at Southport are much more fun than at Camber, in every respect. Fact.
    EEEK!

I'm not looking forward to having this personality zapping process

When do you think it happens? At the check-in or do they put something in the water? I want to be prepared
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Had another fabulous weekend in Southport although it was slightly quieter than May and October, but still brilliant.

Good

Music was fantastic (can only speak for the blues room) All the sets were fantastic if I had to pick one it would be Garry’s (Locoman) can’t remember which one though and not just because he made me a lovely blues CD

Dances again had some wonderful dances can’t remember everyone who I danced with so won’t mention names except the dance with Mr Ceroc - Mike Ellard took me right out of my comfort zone but wow.

Company lovely just chatting to everyone as everyone is so friendly. Special thanks to the Wanderer, who came round to our chalet to cook dinner for us (sort of meals on heels (Cuban of course)) and brought his rice steamer and made a delicious risotto.

Bad
    Nothing of note, the chalets are in desperate need of a revamp but at least the clubs were warm but damp. On a positive note the toilets had been painted.

------------

I think having a good time is down to myself, everything is there and it’s up to the individual to make the most of it, I did not make it to any classes but where the blues room is concerned I did make the most of it

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
    The Good

- Some pre-Ceroc Southport regulars had made the decision to attend, whatever their reasons, it was great to see them.
    I had a feeling this would happen. Some people had stayed away from Southport in protest at the way Ceroc had taken over the venue from Jive Addiction. Now we hear that Jive Addiction has had it's own controversial take-over. But we can't say what we think or even name names for fear of legal action. But you can be sure the loyalty some Southport Jive Addiction fans has been tested to the limit.

On one hand we have a character from Harry Potter "He-who-must-not-be-named" asking for loyalty - on the other hand we have Mike Ellard, previously named "Prince of Darkness" suddenly becoming a character from the Kylie Minogue song as "The Devil You Know"

Blog Entries

Well, here goes...

Firstly, I'd like to give major praise to Brent and Kellese! IMO, they're the epitome of how I'd like to see 'all' headline guest teachers conduct themselves.
    They have the ability to make a fabulous atmosphere, where everyone feels included! And in the words of Brent "Yaa'll Way Too Much Fun" ....... Hahahahha... right back at you guys!!!!

Journey - the quickest time I've ever done it

Check-in - seamless and trouble free

Chalet - good position but the heater didn't work in the lounge and it was freezing. I was extremely grateful for my electric blanket but getting out of bed, was downright painful

Toilets in the main area - as Maxine noted, it was nice to see they'd been freshly painted and I have my suspicion that they may have only been finished the day before, as the paint still felt tacky. So well done to Mike E, 'if' he was responsible for getting that sorted?

Music - No complaints there, I loved it all.

Tango - the lack of leads was yet again frustrating, made even more so, by the fact that the music was sooo good!
    I'm afraid to say, some ladies went right down in my estimation, being fully aware of the situation, one could clearly see them making it awkward for the guy to get away and held on for 7 or 8 dances in a row. The guys were clearly embarrassed, as later, they felt the urge to apologise for not being able to spread themselves around more. Normally I'd have left but I took it as a good opportunity to rest and watch

The floor in the bar - On Friday, I was seriously worried someone was going to break their neck but some sort of resin was put down and it was 'lovely' by the evening and for the rest of the weekend.

Franck and Sheena's 'crepe and waffle' party - they were absolutely delicious guys It was just a shame that we couldn't spend more time together this weekend!

Funny moment - much to everyone standing at the bar's amusement, I walked in, about to make a 'big hello' when suddenly, I was nearly blown off my feet by the fan. I think you had to be there.

Weird moment - I left the blues room, to visit the ladies, for all of 1 minute, when I went in, it was daylight and when I came out it was pitch black! Very odd!

The Ugly - A lady stepping on my foot, with her stiletto heal during one of my first dances of the weekend

Cringe-worthy moment - Realising (too late) that, by trying to help someone with their WCS, I'd inadvertently put their partners nose out of joint.

Not being asked back by a couple of guys I'd have really liked to have been asked back by.. Oh well, Hey ho!

But all in all, a great weekend, very very friendly, with lots of fab dances. My only real complaint is, it went too fast!
    Last edited by Lory; 9th-February-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Not being asked back by a couple of guys I'd have really liked to have been asked back by..
    ......I'm sure you don't mean that the way it sounds!

Thread Information