Thread: One dance or two...

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One dance or two...

I know the subject of how many dances has been discussed before, but reading the DJ forum on how to end a track (mixing vs fading etc...), I came across the following:
    Originally posted by Janet
    As a woman it is vitually impossible to get out of a second dance if your partner keeps going - like it or not.
    Original suggestions appreciated!
    I have to admit, that I never considered the situation... How do you get out of the dance?
    Have you got a secret "look" or stare, do you let go of your partner's hand?
    As a man, it is obviously easier, we are supposed to lead, so we can lead our partner off the floor, or simply stop the dance and thank her. But what can a woman do, and more to the point would us men notice? :sorry

Franck.

Commercial Operator
    As the record changes, would a "mistake" long enough to cause a missed beat or two not be enough to create a natural break, in which to say Gee, thanks, etc, etc, etc...........?

Would men notice? good question.

Personally I just dance the one track.........unless I am asked to dance the next track

Have to admit I have danced three tracks in a row with one partner but only because I was told we were dancing!! Who am I to argue

Cheers
    Steven

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

You dancing?

To be fair - most of the guys in this neck of the woods will ask if you want to stay on the dancefloor.

However, if I really didn't want to dance and my partner obviously wanted to keep going I think I would just politely excuse myself to go and get some water, sit down (as he had tired me out
    ) or some similar reason such as an overwhelming desire to change my entire outfit.

By the way John S if I ever say any of the above to you it is because I really DO need to get some water, sit down etc. etc. etc.

Cool Re: You dancing?

Originally posted by Sheena
    To be fair - most of the guys in this neck of the woods will ask if you want to stay on the dancefloor.

By the way John S if I ever say any of the above to you it is because I really DO need to get some water, sit down etc. etc. etc.
    No idea why I got singled out for that, Sheena, but thanks anyway (I think)!!!

I usually find that by the time I get onto the floor we're halfway through the first dance, so although it's not invariable (before anyone gets upset) I usually do ask the lady if she wants to stay on for a second dance. Sometimes you just know that's it not much fun for either of you, though, in which case calling a halt after one dance makes sense. (Three dances in a row would smack of getting a bit serious, and that's not in my portfolio!!)

Blog Entries

Re: You dancing?

Yep, I reckon this is what happens the most and it does seem to be the best course of action for men.
    I do wonder though if it doesn't make it even harder to stop the dance, how often would you say "no" to the offer of a second dance?
    So we are back to square one.
    Anyway, I find one and a half records to be about right for myself. I would ask someone up for a dance half-way through a track, to get used to each other's style and then proceed to dance the next track from beginning to end!

Franck.

On a secondary point of etiquette - how many dances with the one partner during a Ceroc class evening is considered polite? Is it acceptable to dance with the same partner six or seven times in an evening if you avoiding dancing with her twice in a row? Or is this reprehensible behaviour worthy of a monopoly investigation?

[Ladies wanting to get out of a second dance with me would just have to plead exhaustion, either mental or physical - both are very plausible.]

JW

Stating the obvious

Reading all your thoughts a few ideas cross my mind.

By all means ignore the ignorant, but is it not common courtesy to ask the person you are dancing with whether or not they want another dance? I mean, in terms of the individual demanding that second experience, not only do they potentially snooker themselves from receiving another dance from that particular dancer, they must surely get a reputation as being particularly rude.

For those who know of me, I may not come across as a man of great moral fibre, or indeed experienced in these matters, but respect is respect. I'm a believer in freedom of choice, so to those of you in a quandary about dancing etiquette, I say this ...

Breaking off a dance by request isn't rude, KNOWINGLY continuing it without consultation is.

p.s. Nice meeting Gus by the way, top bloke!!
    Last edited by Curtain; 14th-August-2002 at 08:59 AM.

Re: You dancing?

HMMM..??? what neck of the woods exactly do you dance in Sheena, cause this never happens to me... The only person i have managed to get a dance twice in a row from recently is Franck....but we all know he's a real gent Oh and Sherwin of course....but that doesn't count....some would say i almost bully him into it no i'm kidding
    So could it possibly be me who breaks off the dance too quickly before they get the chance or is my dancing just soooooo bad they can't bear it i'm hurt....like a wounded swan

well maybe not that extreme

filthycute x x

Confirmed Forum Plant Basil Brush (Forum Plant)'s Avatar
    Two or three - that suits me
    Just for conti-nu-i-ty
    Then you hit the perfect beat
    With your minds, your arms, your feet

Mosta you gals- you love a fox
    A swish of my tail- and it just rocks!
    Things make my perfect dance
    Are music, partner, mood and romance

Wink The Postman Only Rings Once For FC

Originally posted by filthycute

HMMM..??? what neck of the woods exactly do you dance in Sheena, cause this never happens to me... :

filthycute x x
    Sorry, fc, it had never occurred to me that we don't dance twice - but now I think about it you usually come hunting me for some express train song like Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, after which I have to be carried off the floor, draped over a table, wrung out and given heart massage.

So - next time Slow Boat to China and some other slow smoothie number is played you will have my full attention for both, I promise (and you know that you can trust me, cos I'm a man.)

Re: The Postman Only Rings Once For FC

Originally posted by John S

Sorry, fc, it had never occurred to me that we don't dance twice - but now I think about it you usually come hunting me for some express train song like Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, after which I have to be carried off the floor, draped over a table, wrung out and given heart massage.

So - next time Slow Boat to China and some other slow smoothie number is played you will have my full attention for both, I promise (and you know that you can trust me, cos I'm a man.)
    Thats very true John, but i know your always up for a good boogie. It's all good fun There are some people...like your good self....who it doesn't really matter if you dance 2 tracks in a row, cause chances are i'm gonna hunt you down again later on in the night for another anyways and there is a small handful of people ....your in this one too John.....who i don't mind asking for a few dances during the night and not feel too stalker-ish. So i'll hold you to that promise(and you know that you can trust me not to forget..cause i'm a woman) but you know i'll still drag you up kicking and screaming for boogie woogie bugle boy

filthycute x x

Blog Entries

Re: Re: You dancing?

The only person i have managed to get a dance twice in a row from recently is Franck....but we all know he's a real gent
    You are welcome fc, it is just that I see you so rarely, I tend to make the best of every opportunity.
    So could it possibly be me who breaks off the dance too quickly before they get the chance or is my dancing just soooooo bad they can't bear it i'm hurt....like a wounded swan
    It could be that you put a lot of pressure on the men, and they feel that after one dance they have exhausted all the moves / inspiration they have.
    I do not think it is anything you do, but I remember when I started that I did not feel confident enough to impose on any partner for more than one dance and I am sure that if you (and all other women) asked the men for a second dance (and I mean the new-ish intermediate men, that would do wonders for their confidence and in turn would make them better dancers...

Franck.

Interesting thread...

I have been wondering about the how many dances thing lately myself...

Originally I thought it was ceroc etiquette to do 2 dances. Certainly when I started dancing in London about 18 months ago it was always two dances in a row, then change partners.

Now unless I am friends with the person, I tend to only get one.

Perhaps I scare them off?!!:sorry

At least I do dance with a lot of friends so I don't think it's because I smell.

Cool

Rarely do I dance 2 dances in a row with the same person as I'm aware that other guys may well wish to dance with my partner. Though sometimes I may dance 2 straight after the beginners lesson as the first dance is quite short, but I always ask.
    As for dancing repeatedly with the same person you definitely have be wary of the 'stalking' thing (that's stAlking not stocking!!) especially if the person you are about dance with is fairly new...you can easily make your partner uncomfortable and give yourself an undesired reputation.
    hehehehe ....in saying that FilthyCute has promised me 2 dances next time.....woohooo!!!

As for how many dances per person a night??!!!
    there are so many girls to dance with and I never get round them all so it never really becomes an issue.

Fox

PS Basil, yer right, girls love a bushy tail!!...

Confirmed Forum Plant Basil Brush (Forum Plant)'s Avatar
    and who might 'fox' be - ???

do we know you down the liar? (fox's liar- is that right?)

Honestly! Spelling Mistakes!!!!

Don't you mean lair ?
    I think Franck had better install some kind of spellchecker on this forum, otherwise I shall be forced to hand out some homework exercises to the offenders.
    Now write out 100 times - "lair".

Miss Bossy

Thread Information