Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which moves look the best?

Which moves look the best?

Along the same lines of the what's your favorite move thread- which moves do you think look the best?

I'm not talking about which moves look impressive because you can see they are complicated and difficult to do, just how good you think they look.

Of course, how well the moves are done has a big influence on how good they look, so we can assume we're talking about moves being done smoothly, fitting with the music etc.

Re: Which moves look the best?

I would say it's nothing about moves but rather all about how the 2 people dance together and react to the music. They could do any moves as long as they flow, work well, and are totally in tune with what the moves are and how they fit to the music.

However, one of my favourites that looks great if done well is a penguin walk/ballroom turn thing. It's similar to all the pivots the Strictly professionals throw into their simple routines to get the good applause from the audience.

I quite like basket variations - they not only feel good when led well, but skirts can emphasise the subtle movements as the follower is gently twisted into the leader and out again, and then there are the elegant arm movements, and overall flowing lines.

First move variations and sways give similar twisting moves, and the octopus gives graceful lines to the arms.

Depends on what you want though - you might need some other moves to break up the positions, otherwise it could look fairly similar.

Cheers WT

The simple answer is dancing is not moves. Any move can look fantastic, if well executed. Any move can look rubbish if done poorly.

A great example is the hallelujah. Generally, I consider this the naffest move ever invented and the way most people do it, it just looks silly. But Jordan and Tatiana use it in their routines. They make it look fantastic. Another example is dancing with the ceroc bounce. If done well to a bouncy song, it looks really good.

To me, a move looks good if it's technically well executed, if it fits with the music, and if it's done with the right style and attitude for both the dancers and the music.

Take the first move. If done with a good frame, if the partners open the move up properly, it looks great. I tend to keep the first move very upright, because that suits my dancing. I've seen other people do it in a lower style (eg Viktor) - and that suits them. I suspect if I tried to do it like Viktor, I'd just look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    Another example is dancing with the ceroc bounce. If done well to a bouncy song, it looks really good.
    What prey is a "ceroc bounce".
    Oh and in answer to the question, it aint what you do, its the way that you do it

Another example is dancing with the ceroc bounce. If done well to a bouncy song, it looks really good.
    No it doesn't. It might feel really good to you, but it always looks awful, IMO.

Why labour the point "it's not moves it's..." - etc

I would expect everyone on this forum knows this, as its been 'done to death' on here, - plus, it was even clarified in the OP.

For the sake discussion, why not just answer the OP's question?

Quote Originally Posted by Neu Wien View Post
    Along the same lines of the what's your favorite move thread- which moves do you think look the best?

I'm not talking about which moves look impressive because you can see they are complicated and difficult to do, just how good you think they look.

Of course, how well the moves are done has a big influence on how good they look, so we can assume we're talking about moves being done smoothly, fitting with the music etc.

Assumming the move has been executed well, to the music, with style (My God! Can't help myself!!! ) - some moves in particularly are nice to watch.

My opinion on this changes from month to month, - a couple of moves which have just sprung into mind:
    Whip variations look good I think. Another one (don't know name?) - right-handed travelling return straight into a CW 1.5x manspin with the Lead's right-hand on his right-shoulder looks nice. The travelling rtrn part gives a nice momentum to the unwrap/spin on the end, and the spinning raised/elbow sticking out looks good as the man rotates - ended with a nice pause for contrast as the man anchors to a halt & faces the follow.

Combination of moves which flow one into another can often look decent, - example using the above in a slot: Right-handed trav-rtrn, stalk into right-handed comb; - neckbreak exit; - right-handed travelling return straight into a CW 1.5x manspin; - I think looks good as, for a short time both lead & follow are appear to be using each other as axis points of which to spin/wrap each other using momentum of change of places unwraps/spins them whilst connected with the same single arm (that's probably as clear as mud!)

Maybe another thread entitled "what EXACTLY makes a move look good" is needed?

Cool Re: Which moves look the best?

Which moves looks the best?
    The one that best fits the music that you're dancing to at that moment in the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    Why labour the point "it's not moves it's..." - etc
    If everyone knew that, then I doubt this question would have been asked. Or defended.
    why not just answer the OP's question?
    Because the correct answer to the question is, "all of them". It's also the correct answer to "which ceroc moves look worst".
    Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    What prey is a "ceroc bounce".
    It's the tendency of ceroc dancers (at least in the UK) to bounce up and down when dancing. I think it was taught, many years ago, but is still seen in the wild. It's generally a noxious pest and should be killed on sight. However, as I said, when done well to the right music (particularly jive, rock and roll, or swing), it looks very good. The main sin is that it's done badly most of the time or done to the wrong music. Watching someone bounce to a rhumba or foxtrot is cringe-worthy.

If everyone knew that, then I doubt this question would have been asked.
    The OP acknowledged he knew that at the same time of asking the question, - in the very same post!

Because the correct answer to the question is, "all of them". It's also the correct answer to "which ceroc moves look worst".
    No it isn't.

What might look good to one, might not to another. It's a matter of opinion, - no "correct answer" about it.

I couldn't give a monkey how well you bounce your hand, do a pretzel, or an "almost-pretzel-clicky-da-fingers", - there are nicer looking moves out there - IN MY OPINION.

Sorry, I fail to understand what is so difficult about answering this question under the assumption & understanding given in the OP

Sorry, I fail to understand what is so difficult about answering this question under the assumption & understanding given in the OP
    Because the question is looking for a definitive rather than an opinion - would agree if the question was "Which moves do you think look the best?"

I remeber looking at a Mambo video on youtube and thinking "Wow! that looked great!". On investigation it was just a backpass, done with style.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    No it doesn't. It might feel really good to you, but it always looks awful, IMO.
    I don't care what it looks like - the ceroc bounce always feels awful. (To me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Because the question is looking for a definitive rather than an opinion - would agree if the question was "Which moves do you think look the best?"
    Granted the spelling's a bit iffy in the first part of the sentence, but that is exactly what the man said! It's unfair to complain if a punchy title doesn't precisely capture all of the info. in the 3 sentences of the post that follows it.

There are lots of moves that I think feel nice when I dance them but always look terrible when I view others doing them. Blues circles, right-to-right turns and returns, anything en pointe, .....

Why wont' people just answer the question!

Thanks to those who have been, and to Phil for trying to keep the thread on track. I must admit, I was half expecting such comments, which is why I had so much clarification at the start, but obviously not enough!

A few moves which look good (in my own subjective opinion, when done well, to the music, blah blah blah ) are...
    -Walk around (eg basket)
    -Multiple spins
    -Secret Move
    -Conan Spins

Why? Just because they do okay!

As for my spelling, it's true Australia's spelling has probably been more Americanised than the UK, hence favorite not favourite, though other words I'd still spell the UK way- in summary, my spelling's just confused!

Blog Entries

Whip variations look good I think.
    I like the occasional walnut whip, but what's a whip in MJ?

Where the follower is led out, say from the basket, then quickly pulled "whipped" back in, either to the leader's side, or past the leader as the leader changes direction to face

Why wont' people just answer the question!
    Maybe people are scared of discussing moves as they think that others will think that's their 1st or only priority, - they'll be considered a "move-monster" and their online reputation will be tarnished!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I remeber looking at a Mambo video on youtube and thinking "Wow! that looked great!". On investigation it was just a backpass, done with style.
    I've seen some very stylish back passes in my time too

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I like the occasional walnut whip, but what's a whip in MJ?
    Whips seems to be slightly trendy at the moment, - the last weekender I went to, just about every other class featured some sort of Whip or another, - Frank even done an entire master class on Whips.

I'm sure you know what they are, maybe you refer to them as something else.

Its a change of places move, but instead of ending the move when the follow has swapped place with you, - you catch the small of her back with your right hand (have the option of crossing the slot, or not, at this point) and Whip her back to where she came from . Can be initiated from a trav retrn, sway, 1st move (probably others - & lots of variations available during the Whip & after.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb9000 View Post
    Where the follower is led out, say from the basket, then quickly pulled "whipped" back in, either to the leader's side, or past the leader as the leader changes direction to face
    Oh, I didnt realise they were referred to as Whips also. Fair enough, - I'd always called them "blocks" or 'pull backs'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daveb9000 View Post
    Whips seems to be slightly trendy at the moment, - the last weekender I went to, just about every other class featured some sort of Whip or another, - Frank even done an entire master class on Whips.
    After a little research (and the help above) it seems to me that "whips" are:

1. a WCS thing
    2. an alternative name for a Swingout in Lindy and,
    3. an entire dance form called the Whip (similar to WCS apparently).

So basically, MJ has taken a "trendy" term from swing dances and applied it to various moves that bare no resemblance to the original?

Thread Information