Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your least favourite moves?

Re: What are your least favourite moves?

The Train <shudders> It used to be one of the moves that was covered on the Ceroc intermediate teacher training course so I must have done it hundreds of times. Janie kept saying that I looked 'sarcastic' when I did it!

For those who have never had the pleasure it involves the man turning his back on the lady and for 3 beats doing an impression of a train (often accompanied by sound effects / kick ball changes / manic arm waving). He then turns the train around so that the lady is in front and she has to repeat the process. When I am 'at the front' it is the 3 longest beats ever....

Blog Entries

I would hope that this applies to all leaders, but I just don't lead moves that I don't like.

As far as classes are concerned, it's only for a few minutes, so I can put up with it. Ones that I'd rather not waste lesson time with include:

• Anything with clicks.
    • Anything that involves tricking the follower and doing that stupid "ner-ner" action.
    • Anything that can't be led and requires the follower to know the move.

Quote Originally Posted by jojiver View Post
    The Train <shudders>
    For those who have never had the pleasure it involves the man turning his back on the lady and for 3 beats doing an impression of a train (often accompanied by sound effects / kick ball changes / manic arm waving). He then turns the train around so that the lady is in front and she has to repeat the process.
    Sounds horrific!

I can just imagine a leader does his part only to turn and find that the follower is wetting herself at how much of a twat he looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

Sounds horrific!

I can just imagine a leader does his part only to turn and find that the follower is wetting herself at how much of a twat he looks.
    Or maybe that she's just not there at all!!

(I'd just like to point out that I've never abandoned a lead on the dancefloor - but there's a first time for everything and a move like this could well be it!)

Quote Originally Posted by jojiver View Post
    The Train <shudders> It used to be one of the moves that was covered on the Ceroc intermediate teacher training course so I must have done it hundreds of times. Janie kept saying that I looked 'sarcastic' when I did it!

For those who have never had the pleasure it involves the man turning his back on the lady and for 3 beats doing an impression of a train (often accompanied by sound effects / kick ball changes / manic arm waving). He then turns the train around so that the lady is in front and she has to repeat the process. When I am 'at the front' it is the 3 longest beats ever....
    Not something I'd ever consider doing myself, - but, probably unbelievably to you lot, I saw someone do this who made it look good!

Tim Stevens - a street dancer/teacher done this move with style to "Boogie Woogie Choo Choo Train" - - some people can make anything look good

• Anything with clicks.
    • Anything that involves tricking the follower and doing that stupid "ner-ner" action.

...and add Pretzels to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

...and add Pretzels to that list.
    I enjoy doing Pretzels, but there is one thing I hate about them, trying to keep track of who hates them and who loves them!

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    Totally agree with you about timing and spins Lory.

I'm not fond of catapults for that reason, and also if I get too many of them, one after another (usually end up getting 2 or 3 leaders using them consecutively ) I end up so so dizzy

Mind you catapults can be redeemed - a dancer who lets me play, might find some interesting reactions (add in blues music and I get more interesting again )...

WT
    The catapult offers an easy steal. Just do an extra half turn and offer your arms behind and lead him into a catapult.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neu Wien View Post
    I enjoy doing Pretzels, but there is one thing I hate about them, trying to keep track of who hates them and who loves them!
    Kinda

I don't particularly enjoy them, but I have nothing against them. However, my lovely other-half and many other followers don't like them, so I don't do them.

As I see it, there are 2 issues with Pretzels:

1. When it's done slightly wrong it can be uncomfortable or even painful.
    I'm happy I do it right, but then there's:

2. As far as I know, it comes from a Salsa move which, with the footwork, salsa music etc, fits well and suits the dance. In MJ it almost always looks messy and awkward.

IMO it's one of those moves that looks really flashy when you're a beginner/early intermediate, but when you start to think more about the aesthetics of the dance it gets dropped.

I always think that the archiespin is an evil move. Especially when the man gets that 'I'm going to force your hand into a really awkward position and if you don't turn I'm gonna snap it right off' glint in his eye. Resist at your peril.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    That one where the bloke turns his back on you and gives you a coy little shove with his a*se against your a*se. Accompanied by a cheeky grin. Cringeworthy or what?! Gluteal leads are a complete no-no in my book.

Oh yes, and the one where I end up having to put my hand on his chest and give him a playful little shove. Somehow I'm still just hopeless at following that one, so sometimes the leaders tap their chests to give silly little me an extra clue, or even take my hand with an arch expression and nestle it between their glistening manboobs. Even worse if they start to slide my hand lower down just to see the look of alarm in my eyes.
    Might as well just name me !

As I see it, there are 2 issues with Pretzels:

1. When it's done slightly wrong it can be uncomfortable or even painful.
    I'm happy I do it right, but then there's:

2. As far as I know, it comes from a Salsa move which, with the footwork, salsa music etc, fits well and suits the dance. In MJ it almost always looks messy and awkward.
    From a follower point of view, unless you're dancing with someone like Mark Kerr who whizzes through them with no problems, I always find that I've just got my feet plonked on the floor waiting for the guy to finish what he's doing. Unless he's really confident of doing the move, if I move my feet to step at all, I find it all seems to go wrong in the middle somewhere.
    Last edited by emmylou25; 25th-January-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

Quote Originally Posted by marcusj View Post
    Might as well just name me !
    It's definitely not just you!

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    From a follower point of view, unless you're dancing with someone like Mark Kerr who whizzes through them with no problems, I always find that I've just got my feet plonked on the floor waiting for the guy to finish what he's doing. Unless he's really confident of doing the move, if I move my feet to step at all, I find it all seems to go wrong in the middle somewhere.
    Best to totally relax, especially the arms and shoulders, and let him get on with it. If he wants your feet moved he can let you know!

The in & out, especially with a click of the fingers

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    .... Even worse if they start to slide my hand lower down just to see the look of alarm in my eyes.
    Oh I like to play them at their own game here by grinning and seeing just how low they will go before they lose their nerve.

Daisy

(A wicked Little Flower)

have only made it to 2 classes so far about 5 weeks apart so i would have to say all of them as i probally only remember 1 move

Thread Information