Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your least favourite moves?

What are your least favourite moves?

What are your 5 least favourite moves?

Mine are:

1) Catapults (unless you let me play)
    2) Ceroc spin
    3) Pretzels (I always miss waist level signals)
    4) Armjives
    5) Ochoes (My brain knows how to, my feet don't tho'! )

Cheers WT

Re: What are your least favourite moves?

That one where the bloke turns his back on you and gives you a coy little shove with his a*se against your a*se. Accompanied by a cheeky grin. Cringeworthy or what?! Gluteal leads are a complete no-no in my book.

Oh yes, and the one where I end up having to put my hand on his chest and give him a playful little shove. Somehow I'm still just hopeless at following that one, so sometimes the leaders tap their chests to give silly little me an extra clue, or even take my hand with an arch expression and nestle it between their glistening manboobs. Even worse if they start to slide my hand lower down just to see the look of alarm in my eyes.

Whips. Never got the hang of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    That one where the bloke turns his back on you and gives you a coy little shove with his a*se against your a*se. Accompanied by a cheeky grin. Cringeworthy or what?! Gluteal leads are a complete no-no in my book.

Oh yes, and the one where I end up having to put my hand on his chest and give him a playful little shove. Somehow I'm still just hopeless at following that one, so sometimes the leaders tap their chests to give silly little me an extra clue, or even take my hand with an arch expression and nestle it between their glistening manboobs. Even worse if they start to slide my hand lower down just to see the look of alarm in my eyes.
    Yuck, I hate these two as well. They're usually done by the grim men you really wouldn't want to touch their chests.

Apart from these I hate following any move where the guy doesn't give me time to finish the move (ie often the catapult), and the slo comb...silly wiggles which are just a bit naff when done in that position.

I was going to add moves I hate when leading, but I just don't do them!

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    What are your 5 least favourite moves?

Mine are:

1) Catapults (unless you let me play)
    2) Ceroc spin
    3) Pretzels (I always miss waist level signals)
    4) Armjives
    5) Ochoes (My brain knows how to, my feet don't tho'! )

Cheers WT
    Agree with the armjives but what are Ochoes?

There is also the catapult with clicks - starts like a catapul but when you are behind him, he then makes you copy him, clicking a number of times!!!

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Yuck, I hate these two as well. They're usually done by the grim men you really wouldn't want to touch their chests.

Apart from these I hate following any move where the guy doesn't give me time to finish the move (ie often the catapult), and the slo comb...silly wiggles which are just a bit naff when done in that position.

Oh my forgot about the slow comb . . . cheesy moves
    I am very much agreeing with all of the above posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickle Sue View Post
    cheesy moves
    Hey missus, cheesy moves can be hilarious when they're done right! Or have you forgotten the cheesey jive-off?!

I can't think of any moves that are totally beyond redemption in all circumstances.

But I do have a least favourite. It is the almost pretzel incorporating the hand to the nose - the thumb touches or is close to (your own) nose tip, the rest of the hand waves in a "nyah nyardy nyah nyah" way at your partner. Some say, if you do this move three times in a row it is possible to gate a demon from dance hell. No one has ever managed to test this theory because they drop dead of shame after the second iteration.

leans with hip bums - just feels awkward

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Sadly in a class situation being a leader isn't always get out of jail free card.

Hence anything involving tunnels.

Hip bumps aren't ideal when they're being learnt.

Hmmm, a lot of moves I used not to like I now like in some circumstances

Cleaver- I found it really hard to learn for some reason, and I always ended up nearly stranging the lady with my forearm, but now I can do it a bit smooter and know a few interesting exits it's a regular move of mine.

Conans- Used to just be awkward and painful, now they're smooth and look really cool I reckon!

Combs- I used to hate them, being quite a tall guy they're not the best, but now I do a couple of variations which I quite like sometimes.

Other moves can be quite challenging for tall guys, even things like I-Turn U-Turn, but I like challenges so I like these moves anyway!

As for moves I still don't like, sometimes the teacher will tell you to do a wiggle, or pose, or body roll etc as part of the routine that feels really unatural for you. That I don't like, though it's not really a move is it!

Wink Re: What are your least favourite moves?

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post

It looks like I'm going to have to learn some new stuff before we dance again then

Leads get it far easier - we pick the moves so if we hate Pretzels we don't have to do them

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    Hey missus, cheesy moves can be hilarious when they're done right!

I don't know the names of hardly any moves

Anyway, I hate the one (unless its done PROPERLY) where the guy starts to spin you one way but blocks you and spins you back the other way.
    Its fine if the guy gets the timing right AND spins you back using your hip but all too many times the guy either, yanks you back too soon or too late and very often, they forget about the hip altogether and just use the arm OUCH!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Totally agree with you about timing and spins Lory.

I'm not fond of catapults for that reason, and also if I get too many of them, one after another (usually end up getting 2 or 3 leaders using them consecutively ) I end up so so dizzy

Mind you catapults can be redeemed - a dancer who lets me play, might find some interesting reactions (add in blues music and I get more interesting again )

Ickle Sue I think Ochoes (if that is how they are spelt?) might come from Tango? - they look wonderful when done properly, but are just not for me. I'll quite happily watch them being done though!

WT

Quote Originally Posted by Neu Wien View Post
    Conans- Used to just be awkward and painful, now they're smooth and look really cool I reckon!
    What's a Conan? It sounds barbaric...

(I'll get my coat.)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    It looks like I'm going to have to learn some new stuff before we dance again then
    StokeBloke, I don't remember you doing anything like that, you're all smooth, slotted musicality and dreamy dips and drops, aren't you?

Windmill and half windmill.

Most of the time, they hurt because the leader does not notice that I am a lot shorter than he is.

Daisy

(A Fragile Little Flower)

Different moves suit different people, - depends what suits your style.

Some moves you might think are horrid, other people make look fantastic. It's not what you do IMHO, it's how you do it.

Personally I dont like moves where I have to lead with my arm behind my back, - not only can I not see my partner, my shoulders are in a vulnerable position -- pretzels, windmills, catapults etc ( - saying that, I have seen a couple of nice catapult variations as means of exiting a man's reverse basic, but at least they're done slowly).

I'm not overly keen on bouncy/villiage-hall type moves.

I do wonder why some teachers teach moves which surely they must know will never been freestyled (lazyness, or ignorance?). Tunnels for example. How often do you see people freestyling Tunnels!? (personally, never, but now i've said that i'm sure someone will come along now & tell me they do them all the time! ).

I reckon they must just flick through the thick Ceroc book of moves, close their eyes, and pick 3 at random

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    What's a Conan? It sounds barbaric...

(I'll get my coat.)
    Well I don't know if you're serious, but you've just helped me discover that that move appears to have different names in the UK and Australia.

In Australia, the official list of beginner moves as found at the link at the bottom of this page http://www.cerocaustralia.com.au/newceroc.php
    refers to the move as the Conan Spin...

While in the UK what I'm pretty sure is the same move is called the Cronin spin... http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/lat...onin_spin.html

There you go!

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    Hey missus, cheesy moves can be hilarious when they're done right! Or have you forgotten the cheesey jive-off?!
    That was a brilliant entertaining night!!! How could any of us forget the cheesey jive-off & I agree it can be hilarious when they're done right!

Thread Information