Thread: What are your favourite moves?

What are your favourite moves?

(Sorry if this has been posted already, I did search)

What are your top 6 (was supposed to be 5 but couldn't decide what to eliminate) moves?

Mine off the top of my head: (not including the variations )

1) Octopus
    2) First move
    3) Mambo
    4) Sway
    5) Man Spin
    6) Basket

OK Opinions at the ready - off you go!

Cheers WT

Re: What are your favourite moves?

I tend to think in terms of families of movements, with a million variations within each family. I also say things like, "I only know four moves". One of my favourite teachers once said, "every move in ceroc is a beginner's move" - a strangely true comment. All of this is getting at the point that dancing is not about moves. So, the favourite families:

1. Change of place variations - most often using a travelling return or a sort of arm jive variation
    2. First Move variations - including the waltz turns (whatever they're called) and columbians
    3. Mambo variations - both open and closed, with a bunch of changes and different exits
    4. Sway or Neck break variations - most of these are pretty similar movements
    5. Catapult variations - with either hand and a bunch of different entries and exits

All of the variations include using either hand and different holds, include adding dips and drops either as part of the move or on the exit. The big things for me are playing to the music and making the dance flow from one movement to the next smoothly and easily for both partners. I do use specific sequences that I like and which might be considered a move, but they can take a while to explain and other people might call it four moves.

You'd better clarify you mean dance or Rocky might get graphic on the thread

Baskets have a nice set of variations to them, I like an unwrap to the side, which allows the lady to scooch/slink around you.
    First move whips
    Sways with a reach across unwrap
    First move mambo
    Combs for the breaks.

I used to love but I've gone off dips and drops. If any I do some dips. I've learnt that even when the lady says yes when you ask her it can mean different things. Nothing as terrifying as a small dip where the lady suddenly collapses her entire body for you to hold. I'm amazed at the number who don't take their own weight. Its not too bad when they're little bitty lasses of the size of Rachel P or Val (who I hasten to add, do not do this, I'm just using them as a size indicator), I can cope but some ladies are the same weight as me or heavier and for that I need to adopt an unflattering sumo position to take the strain.

My faves (in approximate order, including variations and similar moves)

1) Yo-yos (particularly aerial yo-yos)
    2) Leans (particularly astaires)
    3) First moves (fun, easy to lead, lots of variations, and the only way I know how to transition into some other moves!)
    4) After that I can't pick between Baskets, Pretzels, Windmills, Catapults and Cleavers

I'll have to learn some of those other ones mentioned! I've been dancing about 6 months now but have no idea what whips, mambos or "combs for the breaks" are! Maybe I've done them but called them something else? As for the Sway, I've never been taught that in a class for some reason, and for me with the hand twist at the start its a move that's a bit hard to learn off descriptions or videos (which makes it a bit difficult when the intermediate class starts off with "start off by doing a sway, then...! )

I just don't know the names of moves nowadays! My memory is rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    (Sorry if this has been posted already, I did search)
    well, there is this thread: Guys - what are your core moves?
    and Core intermediate moves ?
    and Moves (or anything else), from Heaven...
    and the inverse Moves From Hell (and why)
    ... I think those two were the ones you were thinking on.

My favourite moves are ones that just nail the music perfectly and we move in unison.

There is so much I like about dancing that it is hard to pick out a few moves.

It's great when I hear the music well enough to give my partner the chance to milk/shine if she wants to and then she does. Not really a move but still a good moment.

But you asked for moves and two I can think of are:

1. The American Walk ending with a double spin by both dancers. The spin part is a bit like the ceroc spin (which I find a little awkward strangely) but doing the prep seems easier from a walk rather than a RH return. It is a move sequence that allows the music to be highlighted (if I hear it right).
    2. A double spin on a left handed return (maybe more if I know my partner likes a few spins - some don't like even a double so I wouldn't subject them to it) going into the Piano (a drop). Unlike the American Walk which is OK with anyone I'd only do this with someone I know will enjoy it (like any drop move).

Hmmm ... that makes me sound a bit spinny when I'm normally a fairly forward and back dancer. Maybe it's the change I like; a spin, spin, spin dance would not be so much fun for me as one with the occasional flourish. Lucky for me I'm leading then .

My favourite move is one that lasts approx 3 to 4 mins and merges seemlessly with music and partner.

Thread Information