Thread: Your best/worst holiday ever ?

Your best/worst holiday ever ?

I find this one hard to answer for myself. Different holidays bring different things e.g a ski-ing holiday will be different from scuba and/or a beach holiday which again will be different from Las Vegas type holiday !

I was at the USA winter Olympics and I think that must rank high up

Does anyone have 'a best ever' or would recommend a place and/ or a worst ever and what happen if you complained.

The 'hassle' in Kenya and almost civil war out there when I was there must rank as one of the worst but the diving was good Got £300 back

Re: Your best/worst holiday ever ?

Best Holiday: a deserted island in the bahamas; that was fantastic.

Worst Holiday: being in the eye of a hurricane in Florida, stuck in a flooded shopping centre with no way of getting home; that was awful!

Or possibly when the tour bus broke down in Egypt in a place called City of the Dead which is a vast area that stretches for miles where the poor actually live in tombs. It's very sad to see, but incredibly scarey when you're suddenly stuck there despite having an armed guard as the place was so dangerous.

Best holiday:
    Cycling and camping holiday in France (been twice now). The French are so considerate to cyclists.
    Plus Two weeks skiing in Steamboat Colarado with my five year odl daughter. The Americans are so positive and cheerful when they teach kids that they made the holiday for us. All that "Good job!" and "Give me a High Five!" is infectious!!!

Worst Holiday: had to come home early once from a French ski holiday because the poor wee mother in law was dying. That wasn't a fun plane trip.

Haven't really had a bad holiday destination though...although Andorra at Easter was a mistake once as the snow was pretty pathetic for skiing.

Best holiday was probably cross-country skiing in Norway, when the kids were young. in a little chalet with a sauna, drifted to the chinmeypot with fresh snow. Clear skies, frozen lakes, big meals, cold beer, log fires.

Worst was a winter climbing week in Glencoe when I was an impoverished student, living in a cave in the Lost Valley and melting icicles for water. We had forgotten the cooking pot, so cooked dinner in a stew tin, and everything stick to the bottom. So the soup tasted of curry, the prorridge tasted of soup and curry, the tea tasted of porridge, soup and curry etc etc

Nick

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    best holiday

The East coast of the Dominican Republic, absolutely beautiful beaches, luxurious accommodation and very friendly people. Although the trips we went on were an eye opener to say the least but the people seem very happy, as they have no concept of what they're missing, in a way, they do seem to enjoy life, away from all the modern pressures, they never have to worry about being cold and the food is fairly abundant, fashion non existent and time irrelevant!

Worst holiday

When I was 17, my first trip away without parents, We went to Malta on a cheap deal, the hotel was only half built and it was in the middle of what seemed to be an old age pensioners resort, so much for an 18-30's holiday, anyone would have thought we'd gone with saga!
    Strangely enough, this seemed to amuse my parents when I rang home!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Best Holidays: Australia and also New Zealand, The people, the lifestyle, the cities, the beaches, The beer, The sport, The outback and for New Zealand The South Island and more recently the dancing. Seriously the whole atmosphere and the friendliness of the people and them being down to earth that is really refreshing. That's why if I can go back there if I have some cash saved I will.

The worst Holiday: I am afraid to admit it to our Scottish hosts: The second trip to your part of the world in 1988. This is not because I disklike the country far from it. It was because I was then 19 and still going on holidays with my parents. We were in quiet lochs the company was non existant, and it drove me nuts. Then again if I came up again, I would enjoy it a lot more as I do Golf and Ceroc and I did neither then.

B.T.C.
    This summer past was wonderful - had a great holiday and relaxed in my garden ...in the sunshine !!!! for weeks.

One of the most memorable holidays was doing the Euro-rail trip round Europe ( oddly enough) when I had just finished my studies. Six of us ventured from Aberdeen across to Amsterdam then headed through Germany, Austria, Switzerland down to Greece and back up through Italy and France then home. A great way to see the places and some interesting camp sites and hostels esp in Amsterdam where facilities were uni-sex and showers had no doors. For a group from the north east this laid back approach was very novel. With attractive and naked young women around the men in the group had great difficulty shaving

Luckily I've never had a really bad holiday although things were a little fraught when a friend and I hitch-hiked to Paris and slept rough for 3 nights next to the Eiffel Tower. It was years later before I realised why my friend ( a very petite young woman) was apprehensive and didn't sleep very well :sorry

Originally posted by Jon L
    We were in quiet lochs.
    I always went to Scotland with my grandparents, so oddly enough, we were probably in adjoining cars!

Px

Best holiday is a 50/50 between two weekend breaks taken as part of a study period in Russia. The first was a 3-day cruise down the Volga from Kazan to Nizhni Novgorod. The group atmosphere was electric, and I still have fond memories of sitting on the back of the boat every evening and watching the stunning sunsets, with wild, untamed forest on either bank. The other was a spontaneous-weekender in Murmansk, a 24 hour train-journey (amazing), followed by my first ever experience of a Russian-Sauna. Said experience involved being starkers in a mixed sauna, beating each-other with birch-branches then running naked into the Berents (?) sea...which still had mini icebergey things floating on it (it was –8 with wind-chill). That was followed by a ‘picnic’ (beer and kebabs, what more can a man want ), loads of dancing and watching the sun set no further than the horizon – 4 am was no darker than early-dusk. The photos still bring back a nostalgic smile/tear – lovely

The worst was in Corfu and involved: Losing my glasses, not realising my watch was 1 hour behind for a week, 9” cockroaches that didn’t die, and a plane-journey from hell going home (bad turbulence, and the day after a famous air-disaster). Only just getting over my fear of flying due to that experience – and that was about 11 years ago.

Best holiday
    Had a great holiday this year because I was introduced to ceroc! But best holiday experience would probably be a weekend break while working in Nigeria - well off the tourist trail - swimming in natural crystal clear warm springs with baboons in the trees above - though had to jump out of the water at one point to rescue our sandwiches from the baboons! (Sorry Boomer - no gorillas!), safari on the roof of a Landrover watching elephants in the wild...

Worst holiday
    Never had a bad holiday yet, worst bits have been stuck at airports for delayed flights, cockroach encounters, and some precarious bus trips (esp in Africa)... I suppose the worst experience might have been while on holiday as a child with my parents where overnight our campsite turned into a lake (in... Scotland!)

The Forum Legend
    Hmmm. Can't separate 3 top holidays I've been on.

Most recent was the trip to Australia (with a side trip to New Zealand for a Ceroc dance or two) this year. Fantastic. Best memory of that trip (apart from getting to 3 finals and a semi-final at the Ceroc competition) was lying on the deck of a tall ship, overnight, staring up at the stars in a perfectly clear sky, in the Whitsunday Islands (part of the Great Barrier Reef).

Second top holiday was 3.5 months spent bumming around the States and Canada during the summer hols. Visited quite a large part - from Wisconsin, through to Maine, and down to South Carolina. And lots inbetween

Finally, my first ski-dance trip to Coucheval 1850. The most perfect weather for a ski-trip you could possibly have (blue skies every day, a snowfall a day before we got there, another snowfall overnight in the middle of the week), perfect ski-ing conditions, perfect resort. And 200+ people to dance with on one of the dance nights.

Unfortunately, the second ski-dance trip I went on was probably the worst holiday (through no fault of the organisers I hasten to add). Weather was lousy. Most days it was actually raining, and lots of the lifts were shut. Even at 1850m, it was mostly slush. And I hurt my knee (sound familiar), and missed a few days slushing Social side was still great. But when you go ski-ing, you're hoping to spend most of the week ski-ing. And when you can't.....

Steve

Thread Information