View Poll Results: What other dances would you like?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • salsa

40 52.63%
  • lindy hop

27 35.53%
  • east / west coast swing

51 67.11%
  • rock & roll

18 23.68%
  • blues

52 68.42%
  • tango

37 48.68%
  • ballroom

33 43.42%
  • jazz

19 25.00%
  • contemporary

10 13.16%
  • basic ballet

11 14.47%
  • Dutch

5 6.58%
  • belly dance

11 14.47%
  • flamenco

17 22.37%
  • pop (like mtv dancers)

14 18.42%
  • zydeco

9 11.84%
  • disco

9 11.84%
  • cross-genre styling eg spinning

25 32.89%
  • strolls (eg shim-sham, madison)

13 17.11%
  • dirty dancing

34 44.74%
  • All of the above I'm a dance junkie!

6 7.89%
  • none of them

2 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What other dances would you like?

Haven't read all this thread so apologise if i'm repeating stuff.

I'd really like to have a go at more modern, clubby style jive even hip hop style...'stuff'. But without tracking down Dan the Man, what do i do. There's hip hop classes in edinburgh, but i'm not sure that they're hip hop jive....

Come on then, .......any suggestions??

James...x

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Jive Brummie
    You could try this

(Thanks to Swing Time for the link.)

David

Originally posted by DavidB
    You could try this

(Thanks to Swing Time for the link.)

David
    Thanks for the link David. It's definatley given me something to work on...... don't think you can get purple fake tan though can you..........????

I'm a bit worried about where Ceroc is going. They do two days of Ceroc and then a day of ballroom and latin. The social dances play 1 non-ceroc song out of every 4 songs. A lot of the dancers at Ceroc dance ballroom or latin at other venues too so I think it is nice to break it up and not play Ceroc from beginning to finish.

They have decided to make some more changes for next year though and it is a bit of a concern. They intend to add a fourth night for medals in ballroom/latin. And because dancers were really having a hard time making it to 6PM classes they're dropping them! So now there are two additional nights of Ballroom/Latin and they are running shorter Ceroc nights. I have no idea how they are going to run all of the Ceroc classes now unless they only run each level once a week.

We'll see how it turns out I suppose!

Originally posted by JamesGeary
    Yipee for me, I just came 3rd in a salsa competition.
    There seems to be alot of Kiwi's coming 3rd in things lately... (think about it!)

The American Gigolo

I'd really like to have a go at more modern, clubby style jive even hip hop style...'stuff'. But without tracking down Dan the Man, what do i do. There's hip hop classes in edinburgh, but i'm not sure that they're hip hop jive....

James...x
    James,

Ideally you'd want to track down Dan & Sue at some weekender (Beach Boogie 2004); have done a couple of their classes and they're great with the club/hip hop style. Also up and coming are Adam & Tas. They did a great showcase routine at the BritRoc comp. this year with some very original material.

In the meantime, you should try to get to a hip hop type class, even if it isn't partner dancing and take some ideas to incorporate into your MJ. If you're really keen, there are a few different classes here in Glasgow. Have been going to one and it's quite good.

Brady

Originally posted by Brady
    Also up and coming are Adam & Tas. They did a great showcase routine at the BritRoc comp. this year with some very original material.
    Adam and Tas will be teaching a regular Jive Fusion class in Fleet starting tuesday 23rd March.

Originally posted by Brady
    James,

Ideally you'd want to track down Dan & Sue at some weekender (Beach Boogie 2004); have done a couple of their classes and they're great with the club/hip hop style. Also up and coming are Adam & Tas. They did a great showcase routine at the BritRoc comp. this year with some very original material.

In the meantime, you should try to get to a hip hop type class, even if it isn't partner dancing and take some ideas to incorporate into your MJ. If you're really keen, there are a few different classes here in Glasgow. Have been going to one and it's quite good.

Brady
    Cheers Brady,
    had heard of a few classes in Glasgow but was trying to find something a bit nearer as work commitments etc tend to rule out travelling any distance.

Thanks anyway mate....

James

p.s has anyone got any vid's of dan & sue?? If so where can i get one from... would love to see them strut their stuff..

p.s has anyone got any vid's of dan & sue?? If so where can i get one from... would love to see them strut their stuff..
    Their class from MJC7 is in the MJC7 video. Contact simon@jivebug.co.uk if you want one.

Rob

Originally posted by RobC
    Their class from MJC7 is in the MJC7 video. Contact simon@jivebug.co.uk if you want one.

Rob
    Cheers rob. Besides there bit on the vid, is it worth forking out for...??? I'm guessing there's no videos specific to hip hop style modern jive then.......anyone....anyone ...???

..blues joint top at the halfway stage...

DJs take note,pls

G

Cheers rob. Besides there bit on the vid, is it worth forking out for...???
    From a totally biased opinion (I produced the MJC7 video this year ) I would have to say yes, however if you didn't actually attend MJC this year and only want some video of hip-hop style dancing, then that's a tougher call. I know there are a number of people on this forum who have bought it - why don't you canvass their opinions.

Rob.

Originally posted by RobC
    From a totally biased opinion (I produced the MJC7 video this year ) I would have to say yes, however if you didn't actually attend MJC this year and only want some video of hip-hop style dancing, then that's a tougher call. I know there are a number of people on this forum who have bought it - why don't you canvass their opinions.

Rob.
    ........nice one Rob

James...x
    The best I've ever seen, is a couple called Laith and Candice, who teach and perform both salsa and hip-hop. You can find where they are teaching on the internet. It is usually in London, but they teach at almost all the salsa congresseses also. I know one place they teach both salsa and hip-hop is at the dance attic in Fulham London.

Alternatively you could get the details for and order one of the salsa congress videos (seach on the internet to find them), most of which will have them performing a cabaret. You can enquire if they are on it before you order it.

In fact I think salsa is a little similar to hip-hop, music wise and movement wise. Salsa might be what you're looking for. Just an idea.
    Last edited by JamesGeary; 23rd-December-2003 at 02:17 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Hip hop jive? Never seen that.... Sounds cool!

Tried HH Lindy with Andy & Rena, and it was knackering, but great

Oh dear, I have to confess I know hardly any of them and cos I'm actually at work(naughty me ) don't have time to look them all up!
    I know ballroom(lurv it!)tango(fromthe film "True Lies" with ma big Arnie),dirty dancing(from the film Dirty Dancing(!) and Ceroc, have I led a sheltered life or what?
    But as I am still an early learner at intermediate, i would need to get the hang of that first, before Ii progress to something else, but it would be good for the more advanced people!!
    Fruitcake

Commercial Operator

Learning to dance

I'd like to learn to headbang properly whilst playing guitar, but couldn't find that option in poll.

Any one know of classes?

Re: Learning to dance

Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    I'd like to learn to headbang properly whilst playing guitar, but couldn't find that option in poll.

Any one know of classes?
    Oh YOu lucky thing, Ceroc Jock, I, yes me, used to be a headbanger extra-ordinaire(because of my long , shaggy permed hair), as was noticeable by my unrelenting performance on the front row of theBlack Sabbath performance in Aberdeen in 190...whatever!
    It is, of course a kinda teach yourself, so you have to get the hair,(or wig)or pretend you have the hair or wig, and lt yourself go man,
    Oh the memories........................

PS, I had a little difficulty with "Lets do the timewarp agaaaaain" at Chigago Rock last night,perhaps we could include those sort of things, i havent a clue how to do the birdie song, these things are ESSENTIAL for weddings and such like
    Fruitcvake

Originally posted by fruitcake
    PS, I had a little difficulty with "Lets do the timewarp agaaaaain" at Chigago Rock last night,perhaps we could include those sort of things, i havent a clue how to do the birdie song, these things are ESSENTIAL for weddings and such like
    Fruitcvake
    The Birdie song brings back memories of being dragged up at a party (literally dragged with my feet sliding along the floor) as soon as the guy released my hands to start doing the actions I scurried back to my seat! (Possibly the only time I have done that! )

The salsa-MJ overlap here seems to be continuing with some from the MJ class starting salsa and some from my salsa class starting MJ.

Thread Information