View Poll Results: What other dances would you like?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • salsa

40 52.63%
  • lindy hop

27 35.53%
  • east / west coast swing

51 67.11%
  • rock & roll

18 23.68%
  • blues

52 68.42%
  • tango

37 48.68%
  • ballroom

33 43.42%
  • jazz

19 25.00%
  • contemporary

10 13.16%
  • basic ballet

11 14.47%
  • Dutch

5 6.58%
  • belly dance

11 14.47%
  • flamenco

17 22.37%
  • pop (like mtv dancers)

14 18.42%
  • zydeco

9 11.84%
  • disco

9 11.84%
  • cross-genre styling eg spinning

25 32.89%
  • strolls (eg shim-sham, madison)

13 17.11%
  • dirty dancing

34 44.74%
  • All of the above I'm a dance junkie!

6 7.89%
  • none of them

2 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What other dances would you like?

What other dances would you like?

If Ceroc put on regular classes by teachers in other dance style in addition to Ceroc classes at your regular venue, which (if any) would you try? (multiple answers possible

For instance. there might be a half hour or one hour class before the regular ceroc class, or on a different night at the same venue, or at some other time where a clash was avoided (eg intermediate salsa in a different at the same time as beginners ceroc or vice versa).

Dancers want to expand their styles and knowledge of dance, Ceroc (and other organisers) want to avoid clashes or losing customers to other genres. There could be benefit to everyone by putting some under the same banner. It goes on anyway, just that it could be more effective for eveyone.

But how much interest is there?

The other thing that would be nice to know is just the spread of dances that people on the Forum are interested in.
    Ta!

oops - sorry - should have added 'none of them' and the usual obligatory silly options - I'm still cr*p at making polls up!
    Last edited by Chris; 8th-December-2003 at 11:06 PM.

what's "zydeco"?

I'd be interested only in partner dances that I could get reasonably good at in one lifetime - which is why I've ruled out Lindy and Salsa as things to try as well as Jive. It's bad enough being a beginner again at WCS.

I'd certainly be worried about a dilution of effort if I got back into ballroom. Though if East Coast Swing really is very similar to Ballroom Jive I'd love to have a crack at that...

ChrisA

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gadget
    what's "zydeco"?
    I'm not sure it will help but I just found this, cos I didn't have a clue either
    zydeco

Follow the link, online dance instruction
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just listened to the music sample from that site, it sounds very much like 'the farmers in his den, the farmers in is den, ee eye ee eye the farmers in his den!

Erm, no thanks!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Originally posted by Gadget
    what's "zydeco"?
    This might help

what's "zydeco"?
    One of my dance partners, Helen Pythian, dances in London sometimes and some of you might know her - she's a good one to ask (though she doesn't teach it - she will know who does) - and her styling movements (from zydeco) are a fabulous addition to any jive/blues reportoire.

There's a nice article on one of the zydeco sites called 'Zydeco 2-3-4: Learn Hesitations Now!' that gives you an idea of the beautiful subtlety of it.

Wot no...

Wot no...
    Boogie Woogie

Re: Wot no...

Originally posted by spindr
    Wot no...
    Boogie Woogie
    Actually that would be a good one, Nigel and Nina know about that - I have a video on the Stompin in Brighton 2003

Re: What other dances would you like?

Originally posted by Chris
    For instance. there might be a half hour or one hour class before the regular ceroc class, or on a different night at the same venue, or at some other time where a clash was avoided (eg intermediate salsa in a different at the same time as beginners ceroc or vice versa).

Dancers want to expand their styles and knowledge of dance, Ceroc (and other organisers) want to avoid clashes or losing customers to other genres. There could be benefit to everyone by putting some under the same banner. It goes on anyway, just that it could be more effective for eveyone.
    This is what happens here in NI. There was no MJ or ceroc here but there was a dancer willing to start teaching beginner's level. He has linked in with a salsa teacher - and the beginners jive class runs immediately after an existing intermediate salsa class. What this has meant is that there is a lot of dancers doing both. There is even a special reduced rate if you do both classes and they are advertised on the same website. A salsa dance later in the night (at a different venue but run by the same group) also caters for the MJ class with some suitable tracks.

This might only be working because there is no ceroc franchise in NI (yet!?) and it has helped the class to get off the ground by teaming it with an existing salsa class. It has worked the other way also as some of the ones who originally came for the jive class are now starting salsa as well.

The plus side I personally find is that there are some good salsa dancers doing beginner MJ which makes it more fun learning!

Wot no...
    Boogie Woogie
    Hasn't there been a series of boogie woogie lessons at Hipsters on a Wednesday in recent weeks?

Chris

Dutch

Forgive my ignorance, but what's "Dutch"? Is it clog dancing?

Neil

Wot no...
    Boogie Woogie
    There's a max of 20 options for posting a poll and I had 26 so had to cross some out

Re: Dutch

Originally posted by Neil
    Forgive my ignorance, but what's "Dutch"? Is it clog dancing?
    Neil
    As in Pass That Dutch (Missy Elliott). There was a recent documentary on it - very high energy and highly disciplined new dance style. It looks like - Wow!

No circle dancing

Yeah. Boogie Woogie. Did the taster class, but couldn't commit to the course. Great fun style of dance with loads of opportunities to play with the music.

Would also love to see WCS take off over here.

M

B.T.C.
    Have tried a bit of Salsa and West Coast Swing - the latter with the lovely Graham and Diane up here. Would love to have carried on the WCS but it was too far to travel regularly.

Have just started Tango and realise just how long this will take compared to Ceroc or other form of jive. Hope to keep it going so I can actually walk 'properly'

I voted for quite a few (once had a wonderful weekend workshop with Graham and Diane of west coast swing) but hey! We are in Scotland. Wot? No ceilidh dancing! I will be stripping the willow and dashing with the white sergeant every night next weeK. Three school dances to go to!!

The only trouble with all that wheeching round though is the bruises on the arms above the elbow!! It's worth it though!

Cool

I would love the inclusion of other club social dancing like salsa and WCS. The franchises seem a bit strict here though.

I have roped in a couple of dancers to help me and I am thinking of bringing in WCS myself but I am pretty sure some of the franchise owners won't be very encouraging. Based on a few conversations. I don't want to step on anybody's toes ... :sorry:

I think it is great when dancers can do many different styles. I have a great time at the Ceroc dances and plan to continue going, of course!

Cali

Originally posted by cali
    I would love the inclusion of other club social dancing like salsa and WCS. The franchises seem a bit strict here though.

I have roped in a couple of dancers to help me and I am thinking of bringing in WCS myself but I am pretty sure some of the franchise owners won't be very encouraging. Based on a few conversations. I don't want to step on anybody's toes ... :sorry:

I think it is great when dancers can do many different styles. I have a great time at the Ceroc dances and plan to continue going, of course!

Cali
    Why not have a chat with Angelique, Ceroc NZ founder, in Auckland? Admittedly it might not be to every franchisee's liking, but I got the idea of the thread from her Studio timetable.

Thread Information