Thread: Universal remote control - recommendation?

Universal remote control - recommendation?

Taking advantage of the sales to get a Blu Ray player I now have 5 remote controls in front of me

TV, Amp, PVR, BR, DVD (still need for MR and Divx)

so am thinking an all in one would be nice.

Anyone recommend a universal remote to help me declutter?

The Oracle

Re: Universal remote control - recommendation?

I've used a Logitech Harmony for a few years, and it has worked pretty well. The model I have is not made any more, but they seem to have a similar one available (the Harmony 885)

You set it up via a USB link to a computer. All your settings are stored in an online account, so you don't lose the settings when you change computer. They have a very extensive database of equipment which covered everything I have.

It only had one problem when the screen went completely blank after 13 months (ie just after the warranty expired), but it still worked. Discharging the battery completely and recharging it fixed the screen, but wiped the settings. Reconnecting to a pc and logging into my account, it was completely set up again within 5 minutes.

The only other issue is that it doesn't balance well in my hand, especially when trying to press the numbers at the bottom of the remote. So I still tend to use the Sky+ remote as well.

David

It really depends on your budget and what you want it to do.

The Logitech ones are generally pretty good (I'm a big fan of Logitech products, anyway). I've got one of their cheaper ones, which is excellent. It was easy to set-up, although you do really need to synch it in to a PC to make it work. The more expensive ones give you much better macro functionality and let you control a wider range of devices - like controlling your PC if it has an IR receptor.

You can get find some detailed reviews here.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    It really depends on your budget and what you want it to do.
    No more than £50 and nothing too complex really, just to replace the most common functions

Volume and input on the amp
    Menu navigation on the DVD and BR
    Input source on the TV
    Channel selection and navigation through the EPG and the previously recorded progs on the PVR

The Harmonys seem a bit marmite in the reviews on Amazon - whether the bad reviews are people who simply haven't bothered to RTFM I don't know.

David makes a good point about ergonomics, I probably should try to hold a few of these before buying.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another vote for Logitech, in my case, the Harmony One. It is very easy to setup and was the only one that could properly replace my Tivo remote.
    It has taken care of my setup: 2 Tivos, 1 Sky Plus HD, Blu-Ray DVD player, Apple TV, Amp for surround sound, Wii and of course the tv.

Ergonomics are better on the Harmony One than on some of the older Logitech remotes and buttons are well laid out (and fully programmable if you have a specific requirement).
    The colour screen works well and everyone in the house has easily switched to the new remote (no learning curve).

All my appliances had a custom setting pre-programmed when I set it up, so I didn't have to do much fiddling, you just enter the make and model number of each of your devices and it sets it up for you.

My only 2 reservations are that:
    - it can be a bit tricky to find a specific setting when programming it (the pc interface is a bit mixed up), but the various forum are very helpful. That only applies if you try to do clever things with it and change the default settings.
    - there are no hardware colour buttons (for sky red / yellow / green / blue) so they have to be programmed in the colour touchscreen. Not a major problem, but would make the remote perfect.

HTH
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    No more than £50 and nothing too complex really, just to replace the most common functions
    In that price range, it's really a run-off between the Logitech and the appropriate All For One. The All For One's just don't compare, in my view. But the functions you need are pretty simple, so you could go for something fairly cheap. Personally, I'd stick with the Logitechs - you can get a 555 for under £50. I've got the 525.
    The Harmonys seem a bit marmite in the reviews on Amazon - whether the bad reviews are people who simply haven't bothered to RTFM I don't know.
    Amazon reviews aren't usually worth the paper they're printed on. Less, if you actually print them. The remotes can be a little tricky to set-up (one function on mine doesn't work properly; but it's minor). Once set-up properly, it works perfectly. The other site I use for reviews, apart from What Hi Fi is reviews.cnet.co.uk. The main difference is consumer reviewers have probably used one learning remote control. The pros have used lots of them.
    David makes a good point about ergonomics, I probably should try to hold a few of these before buying.
    Make sure you get batteries in before trying them out. They shift the balance point.

There are Internet marketers at work. They set up review sites, write reviews whereever and post helpful suggestions on social media. As has been said reviews on the web, in general, should be treated with suspicion. A search on Amazon affiliates or amazon associates will give some idea of the scale and professionalism behind such marketing.

On this form we have the advantage of knowing who we are getting advice from.

Thread revival just to report back.

Initially I bought one of the All In One's as it was on special offer (£15 instead of £25) It didn't work out of the box with some of my devices but I sent it to the Mfr and they updated it so it did work. Some functions still remained elusive even when 'learning' them from the original remote. If you were really struggling budget wise then it will work to an extent and it had a nice feel both ergonomically and the finish but it didn't satisfy so I decided to blow the initial budget and get a Harmony 700. I liked the design and finish much more than the 525/555 and I don't regret the purchase at all. One or two buttons are a bit 'clicky' for my liking, I'd prefer a softer press but that's nit-picking. It's limited to 6 devices but there are ways and means of working around that if you need to. The idea of 'Activities' rather than just controlling devices works well once you start to think in that way. There are some aspects of the software that are a little unintuitive but overall I think it's a great product and way, way better than the AIO (as it should be for the price differential)

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A bit pricey but if you like this sort of thing then this one looks good!

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information