Thread: Is this place any good for freestyles?

Is this place any good for freestyles?

hiya All,

I'm taking my sis to her 1st proper freestyle the next time I'm back in london!

The only likely freestyle i can see for the 23rd Jan, that we can make, is the place below, at the "Ashtead Peace Memorial Hall", Woodfield Lane (Off A24), Ashtead (nr Leatherhead)

http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/org-details.asp?OrgID=42

Is this place any good?
    Is the music ok?
    The state of the floor?
    The.... erm... etiquette of the dancers? (It will be the 1st time she will be dancing dancing. I'd prefer it if her arm is not pulled off, or chucked into bad drops etc! I'd like it if she comes back etc! )

It finishes at 11.30pm though! Is it a decent night out? (Sorry if all these questions sound blunt! I'm just asking relevant direct question!)

hope you can advise
    Cheers
    Martin

PS:
    this place also has the "Dancing with the stars" dancers making guest appearances! Shame I'm not in london on tue nights!!

http://www.leroc.biz/index.php?optio...&id=2&Itemid=3
    Last edited by marty_baby; 29th-December-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Is this place any good for freestyles?

Hi There MB

I have been there on many occasions, and it can be good, just a question where does your Sis do her weekly class as there are 2 other freestyles on that night and she may know some folks, from her weekly classes. http://www.lyndaslist.com/ you will find them.

The Venue is good Free parking and Plenty of it.
    There will be 2 rooms and Sheepman is often the DJ in the Blues room so Music is great in there, The main room music is good as well.

The floors are really good and no talc is allowed but then again not needed.

The quality of dancers is normally pretty good as there are a lot who have been dancing for a long time and are pretty freindly, there are very few Prima donna's there if any.

It is a good night out and looking at what else is on thats where I will be going, PM me and I will be happy to have a few dances with her and introduce her to some of the other dancers.

Chiswick will have your more experienced dancers, but you have to be in by 10pm as they close the doors. Not my Fav venue and have not been there in a at least a year. May have changed but from past experience Floor craft etc

Woking is a venue that I go to as a last resort as Music can be Miss more than Hit, and the Floor is not the best as has brass strips running across it at intervals . there can some good dancers there but again Hit and Miss.

If you decide to come I look forward to meeting you and your Sis

Quote Originally Posted by zimbabwean View Post

Chiswick will have your more experienced dancers, but you have to be in by 10pm as they close the doors. Not my Fav venue and have not been there in a at least a year. May have changed but from past experience Floor craft etc

I go to Chiswick quite frequently and it does vary from brilliant to ok. Being a Ceroc London venue you don’t have regulars there as such, so you never know who might be there or who’ll be doing the blues room.

PS like you avatar Mr Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post

PS like you avatar Mr Z.

Thanks, Had to be that didn't it

Hi Martin

I would recommend Ashtead as a good venue for a first Sat freestyle. It's a nice size...not too big & not too small. The floor is really good. There are usually 2 rooms, one with more bluesy music, which makes for variety & sometimes a bit more space!

The dancers tend not to be the young trendsetters, but that means it's not too intimidating, & I think of it as one of the friendlier venues.

Colin can play some really lovely music, it's never too loud or harsh.

If you decide to go, have a lovely time & report back. I don't know of I'll be there, but if I am, I'll ask Mr Z to introduce us!

Rachel

Hiya All,

Ashstead was good on Sat.
    Bumped into some old faces. Mike and Mikey

My sister enjoyed it, and is keen to carry on the lessons!

It was a last minutes decision if we went or not, so I'm gutted I couldn't email in advance to you guys, zimbabwean and ascot lady!

Hope you had a nice time as well!

Cheers
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by marty_baby View Post

It was a last minutes decision if we went or not, so I'm gutted I couldn't email in advance to you guys, zimbabwean and ascot lady!

Hope you had a nice time as well!

Cheers
    Martin
    We had a good time and glad your sister enjoyed herself, pm me next time you folks are going or if she is going solo, if I am there will give here a few dances

Marty Baby
    (can't get "quote" stuff working)

Glad you enjoyed Ashtead. It was a bit more WCS flavoured than usual....no doubt due to Mike Rosa's attendance!....I wonder who you are? ...intriguing!

You guys were there?!

Bummer! I wish we were more organised!

We were that funny little chinese couple in the corner.... My sis was the one who belted that poor bloke in the face with her elbow.... (I did warn her repeatedly about that! dance pactice the following day covered that again, and she paid attention this time! )

Yup, mike's wcs crowd was a laugh. Dancing with him was kinder surreal, he did give me some good pointers though!

Come over and say "hi" next time!

Cheers
    Martin

Thread Information